Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Jul 22, 2009.

1. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

That definitely looks like a "Stretched" B24.
    Lock may have done a custom mod for it, as I know for certain that Lock never designed a stock B26.

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

The ad says ‘‘professionally designed and built’’ and it both looks just like that :)

I'll PM you and Bruce the personal data of the vendor so you can ask him about the design and build history and the availibility of the mod specs if you like...

Good luck!
    Angel

PS - But maybe the new owner, B26Trimaran, has that info already..?? If so, please let us know :)

3. B26Trimaran

B26Trimaran Junior Member

First time posting:(

Greetings from the new owner of the Florida B26 my name is Harold. The B26 was driven from San Diego, Calf. to South Florida. The sellers dad gave it to him as a gift. He is a liveaboard on a much larger Tri and is a good friend. I will pick it up next month ASAP!:) Please post any questions that you have and I will ask him. I do know his dad sailed alot and had something to do with the aircraft industry.

I have enjoyed reading ALL of the posts about the B24 and look forward to sailing it ASAP!

Attached Files:

• 1.7.jpg
      1.7.jpg
      File size:
      198.8 KB
      Views:
  4. B26Trimaran

I will call him and ask if he has any more info.

5. B26Trimaran

6. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Just use a suitable sized rectangle of waterproof canvas, with eyelets set in the corners and the centre edges of the sides. Centre it on the boom and tie it off to the shrouds etc:. You can get better support with battens, laid across the boom. Light bamboo poles work well.
    Your local sail loft can run one up for you for a few bucks.

7. B26Trimaran

Thanks I have a good sailing friend that does canvas work on the side, who will have some customized work to do for me next month.

8. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

sun shade

I have one, but have not had much success using it. The cover will shade some of the cockpit, but nobody wants to stay in the cockpit at anchor, and I have had trouble "chasing" the sun. Any breeze at all and the shade works as a sail, and with a boat as light as the Buc, it moves around a lot. I didn't use mine last year at all, and took it off the boat. I think mine is about 8'x12', maybe a larger one would work better, but the poles would get hard to deal with. I do have a "Chesapeake" style main cover that unfolds to cover the cockpit. (like a regular boom tent) It works pretty well and the doubled fabric helps protect the main better when furled. I also have a light bimini that I use a lot, it weighs less than 10 lbs total and is very quick to set up or remove. My crew love it. B

9. B26Trimaran

Bimini

Bruce do you have any pictures of the Bimini up and were do you store it when when not in use while sailing?

10. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

bimini

I don't have any pics. I fold it to the rear, just in front of the traveler, or store it on one of the tramps. B

11. B26Trimaran

B26 is now in Georgia! Pulled like it wasn't even behind the Suburban.

12. dstgean

dstgean Senior Member

Check out Jim Brown's setup for some inspiration. He's got some videos of Scrimshaw up on youtube that show his details.

Dan

13. diegokid

diegokid Junior Member

angles

I've got a few more questions after looking at the 24 plans more. When turning the center plug it shows it being cut at 4 3/4 degrees then rotating until maximum angle is achieved, then bolting it together.

1. How high out of the water is the ama when sailing and while at rest. Wanting to know how much of a rocking motion is here. If it is more than a few inches could the angle be reduced by 1/2 to 1 1/2 degree to lower this?

2. Seems like I've read a few posts where the longest time spent from trailer to water/water to trailer is lacing the nets. I'm new to sailing but why couldn't you put some type of mast track on the crossbeams with a simple cleat or three on the amas. When rigging just slide the nets over to the hull and tie off with velcro.

Thats all for today!

14. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

1. When sitting in the water at rest the bottoms of the floats barely touch the water. If the waves at anchor are rocking the boat weigh down one hull with, for instance, a sail in it's sailbag, lashed with a shockcord in the side tramp/net. No big problem really.
    2. When sailing, the windward hull is usually high enough to avoid being slapped by waves.
    3. Don't change the dihedral, this is not a Piver. :rolleyes:

15. diegokid

diegokid Junior Member

part timers

I forgot one.

The donor boat I located for the mast and hardware will have more than I need. The rigging will be too long and most of the ends on the cables are somewhat rusty and would have to be cut and refitted anyway. Mast is four feet too long being 34'.

Have noticed the colligo rigging on other boats. One of the F boats I looked at had it. They claim its a lot easier to handle/stow when trailering and of course lighter. Cost may be prihibitive since I haven't looked at pricing for a buc but some of you out there may be more knowlegable on this.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.