Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Jul 22, 2009.

1. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

The primer is evercoat featherfill. It rolls on pretty nice and fills good. I'm using dupont imron on the exterior and satin latex in the interior cause I have no interest in spraying the interior. The Imron is the aircraft/marine version. My friend is a dupont rep and is getting me the paint for free or very cheap.

2. santacruz58

santacruz58 Senior Member

She is looking good. You will be in the water in no time.

3. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Primer

Freddy, I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I googled your primer and it said it is polyester, is that going to be okay ?

4. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

It is polyester -based. It's designed to go over anything. I like it cause it fills well and sands fairly easy. Plus it's waterproof. The final coat of primer will be a urethane for the final sanding. Well see how it Holds up after a season in the water!

5. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

primer

Is it going on to bare wood or have you epoxy coated everything first ?

6. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

It is all epoxy coated,.

7. rcracing2

rcracing2 Junior Member

Hi everyone. Over the course of the next 24-36 hours my little buc is going to experience some weather conditions it has never seen before. Tropical Cyclone Debbie is on course to cross the coast Tuesday morning as a Cat 4 and the latest track map has it passing over the top of where my boat is located. I have removed the boom and mainsail and and lashed the boat to the trailer and also the ground so its just a wait and see game now. For the past 48 hours the cyclone track was predicted to pass directly over my house but now it is forecasted to be a little further south. We've done all the prep we can do here so now we just wait for some ridiculously strong winds and a heap of rain! I'll let you know the good or the bad news after the cyclone has passed and everything has calmed down again,

Cheers,

Robert

8. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Is it epoxy coated inside? Maybe we could get a consensus on adding some water inside for ballast. It is a tough call as if it blows over extra weight can hurt it more. Good luck and hang on.

9. rcracing2

rcracing2 Junior Member

i have added some water to the hull. Hard to know exactly how much weight i put in but its got some. Storm surge will be another issue. Unfortunately my buc isnt foldable as it has solid beams, otherwise it would be tucked away in the shed at home.

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Debbie

======================
    Best of luck! I went through hurricane Matthew(2016) and luckily the forecast was just slightly off by the time it got here and it was no where near as strong as had been predicted.
    Sounds like you've done the best you can.......

11. cavalier mk2

It sounds like you have done what you can. The weather will be getting wilder in the future. One way to tie down to allow for surge is to use longer runs of line out to the corners. The horizontal component allows for the up and down of surge. I do it this way in our big winds in a bay that dries to allow for the tides. Of course it is a fine line if you are trying to keep from flying. Best of luck and be careful. Motorcycle helmets with visors have uses in these times but you shouldn't be out in it.

12. rcracing2

rcracing2 Junior Member

well ive just been able to get down to my boat and im very happy to report that she has suffered no damage at all. Thankfully(for us) the cyclone shifted south by about 80-100kms in the final 24 hours. It has absolutely decimated Airlie Beach and the Whitsundays. It has been an interesting couple of days!

13. cavalier mk2

That is good. I've heard a fair amount of boats went on the beach.

14. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Yeah, me too. Saw TV footage of one mon being blown bow first into a rock breakwater. No further footage of her so assume she was badly damaged if not destroyed.

Good to hear you suvived as did your boat.

We're all thinking of you guys, safe down here in the south....

15. SharkSailor511

SharkSailor511 Junior Member

Stretching the B24?

I'm hoping to start my B24 build in a few months, but considering stretching her. I'm thinking about adding one meter, primarily for the interior space. Would make it more like the B28 in size, but maintain the B24's straightforward build. Does anyone know if that's been tried successfully?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.