Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Jul 22, 2009.

1. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Answers:-
    1. Yes.
    2. I can supply them. US150.00 includes postage to Florida and PayPal fees.
    3. I think Bruce has answered that one.
    4. It depends how you can supply your time. But 500 well planned man hours should do it. Working full time and with help on five days a week, I built mine in six weeks and had it fitted out and on the water in nine weeks.
    5. Yes in daylight --no probs. At night, three in the bunks--one on the helm
    overnight at the dock Three in the bunks --one on the floor of the main hull. (You should ask Samnz about this. He has slept four on overnights in his.)

If you make 5 posts on the threads you can then PM me by clicking on my pseudonym and we can converse with more security than by E-mail.
    Cheers OS7.

2. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

PShip.
    If you scroll down to the bottom of this page you can click on
    "Buccaneer 24 Trimaran" and get lots of extra information including pics. diagrams and copies of instructions and materials lists.

Go To:- Page 15 Post # 224 in that thread.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  3. DarthCluin

DarthCluin Senior Member

Material sources in Florida:

Your local WestMarine will have epoxy, fasteners, fittings, line, and paint. They will not have everything you need, and inventory varies from store to store.
    Boat Builder Central has most of what you will need. They have both Okume and Meranti marine plywood.
    http://boatbuildercentral.com/
    Timber is tougher. Triton Lumber looks to have a good assortment (I haven't
    actually used them) but they are in Homosassa.
    http://www.tritonlumber.com/index.html
    Home Depot has clear Douglas Fir, but it is 1 bys ( 11/16" to 3/4" actual).
    You will need to keep your receipts, so you can register the boat with the State of Florida.

4. PShip

PShip Junior Member

Thank-you for the information so far. And for the Keys, it would be two adults and two teenagers and there would be two shifts, an adult and teenager together. My concern was in port. I undestand there is storage forward that would be okay, but there are four. I will work on racking up the posts, and then ask for the study plans. Another question: are the actual plans easy to follow?
    And another: What do you think the rigging would cost, and would any other brand common mast work better and be cheaper? I love the design and would love to build one but I don't want to jump into a project blindly :)

5. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

This Buccaneer has been extended and the main hull daggerboard removed - which allows more room in the cabin - and angled foil/daggers put in the floats, works very well.

Attached Files:

6. DarthCluin

DarthCluin Senior Member

When I am finished with my Wa'apa, I intend to build something bigger. If I build a Buccaneer 24, it will be because of Miranda. That boat is so attractive, it almost hurts to look at it.
    That said, where did the rudder go?
    On a side note, is that a Piver Mariner in the background?

Pship, here is the link to Florida Vessel Registration and Titles:
    http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqboat.html
    Page 4 of the PDF covers registering a home built boat.

7. Gary Baigent

Jf you look closely Darth, you can see the rudder slot about halfway along the sloping transom. You have to move it aft (and change from the transom hung design) if you increase the after hull length and fill in the rocker profile. It is a spade with a cassette and slots down like a conventional dagger - and when it is in place, you can then turn the rudder.

8. PShip

PShip Junior Member

Thankyou again. That buc 24 is beautiful. If I build one I would follow the designs as closely as possible and if i were to make a modification it would be to extend it. Otherwise, I don't trust myself because I could mess up an already great design. :) two more post to go.

9. Gary Baigent

Don't know who designed the houseboat tri in the background, I think the hulls could originally have been a Hedley Nicol - but that is just a guess.

10. Gary Baigent

No, I'm thinking of another tri in the bay, that one definitely looks Piver-based. Apologies.

Attached Files:

11. PShip

PShip Junior Member

Where is that bay? and what is the draft of a stock boat with daggerboard down/up?

12. Gary Baigent

That's Cox's Bay in the mid Waitemata Harbour, above the harbour bridge and across the road from Cox's Creek Park, Westmere, Auckland.
    There's some good commentary on draft on the other B24 forum, needs to be increased from stock, IMO. The foils on Miranda are deeper, around 1.5 metres.

13. PShip

PShip Junior Member

And to finally have 5, how are the crossbeams in the design? I know they will be under great stress. But do they require a lot of maintenence or just inspecting?

14. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

I don't know if somebody is still interested, but I now have another set of Buccaneer 24 plans for sale.

15. PShip

PShip Junior Member

Well, I have now found a material list. I am still wondering how much the build cost of the hulls and crossbeams would be. If it's what I can afford, I am certainly interested. Question: on the material lists in the thread selling plans, what is the timber for? I understand marine ply, but the timber isn't specified.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.