Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Tom.151

Tom.151 Best boat so far? Crowther Twiggy (32')

freddyj,
    Great stuff, like your interior decisions.
    Wonderful progress.
    Love your project, it's like time travel for me.
    Keep it coming,

2. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Headroom

Looking the goods Freddy, how much clearance from the double to the cabin top ?

3. santacruz58

santacruz58 Senior Member

Looks very nice freddyj. I like your double bunk.
    nelson

4. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

Just enough!

5. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

interior

Fred, good progress! I also think the cross bunk is a good idea, and yours looks well done.
    B

6. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

I put the base for my jib tracks about 11 degrees off centerline, which puts them about a foot inboard of cabin side. Will this work? Also, if I use a 2:1 jib sheet, can I get by without winches?

7. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

sheeting details

Fred, as I have said before?? If you want the boat to point up to modern standards, about 8 to 9 degrees is what works! Look at any modern sport boat and measure where their tracks are mounted. 11 degrees will only get you a close reach, but it might not matter that much for day sailing. However, if you do decide to use 2x1 on your working jib, you could install an inboard eye for the fixed end of the jib sheet and get the best of both worlds. You would probably have to wait and sail the boat with whatever jib you are going to use to find the right mounting point.
    I like 2x1 on my smaller jibs and it does allow quick winchless sheeting in light air, but the size and speed of a Buc puts on too much load when the wind gets over about 8 kts. I have found a minimum of 3x1 on my 85% self tacker is necessary, and when it starts to whitecap around 13 kts, I still often need to use a winch to get the sheet in all the way. A Buc 24 builds up speed very quickly up to the 12 kt boat speed range, and the high apparent wind speed loads up your sails and sheets. You will like it:cool:
    The winches don't have to be very large, a #8 is ok, a #16 even better if you plan on using overlapping jibs or have smaller crew. On a J-24 mono with about the same size working jib as the Buc 24, 2x1 and no winch works fine with reasonably strong crew, the same crew on my Buc 24 couldn't get the jib in if it was blowing over 12 kts.
    B

8. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

Im trying to decide between cam cleats and rope clutches for my jib sheets. Any advice or experience either way? My parts boat had cleats.

9. Tom.151

Tom.151 Best boat so far? Crowther Twiggy (32')

What I like about cam cleats... when properly placed and aligned, they can be quickly released from a long distance away. Makes simultaneous dumping both main and jib more feasible. Good for me, as I sail mostly single handed - so no crew available to tend the jib sheets.

Clutches, not so much.

10. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Cam cleats for sure on the jib sheet and main sheet. Fast release is one of the safeties on a capsizeable boat. Seconds can make the difference close to the edge. If there were minutes you could tie knots.

11. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

fast cleats

Fred, sail sheet cleats always need to be able to release instantly on a multihull. Properly sized and placed cam cleats seem to be the best, but I have jam cleats that came on my 33 for the jib and they also work fine. Properly sized and placed, they are also easy to release and almost fool proof. Either cams or jam cleats can be released from across the boat, and they should be placed where the tail can be led to the skipper or a crew sitting out on the high side.
    Stoppers and clutches are not as quick ,require you to be at the cleat to operate it, and they present a real chance of a knot jamming them, it happens regularly even when they are used for halyards.
    In any heavier and/or gusty conditions, I keep the main and jib sheet tails draped across my arm ready to release or I trust them to an experienced crew.
    B

12. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

Good advice. And makes sense to me. Cam cleats it is.

13. Headharbor

Headharbor Junior Member

Nice work Fred, looking forward to more pictures.

14. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

primed the interior and cockpit.

Attached Files:

15. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Nice!

Fred, that is looking great. What kind of primer/paint are you using?
    B

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.