Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Jul 22, 2009.

1. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

OK, my mast does set flat on the base of the bracket. The top of the mast is supposed to be set back two feet according to plans. Does anyone know the math to use to determine the angle the base needs to be?

2. Tom.151

Tom.151 Best boat so far? Crowther Twiggy (32')

How long is your mast?

3. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

The mast is 32 ft. I think it needs to be mounted 3.5 degrees from horizontal, if my math is correct.

4. Tom.151

Yup, that's about it (I got 3.6 actually from arcsine(2/32) ;) )

If you're going to make a wedge to go under the mast base, consider making it so that you can swap out the wedge easily if you need to change the mast rake.

Cheers,

5. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

freddyj

Is the information in the attached red circle any use to you for your setup?

Team ezifold

Attached Files:

6. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

Thank you OTB! I guess if all else fails, look at the plans!

7. Tom.151

Can't tell from OTB's post if he means he thinks that that 11 degrees is the mast rake in degrees or not.

FWIW, if that 11 degree number was correct for the mast rake, it implies the masthead being raked 6.1 feet aft of the base. Not at all what Crowther states explicitly as the mast rake.

Sheet 6 of my plans set clearly shows the 2 ft mast rake dimension that you mentioned originally.

To me... the 11 degrees number looks like the angle to the coach roof, which is clearly pitched down in the location of the mast base -- so that is NOT the mast rake number.

8. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

I believe that takes into account the roof rake.

9. warwick

warwick Senior Member

I would think that includes the cabin top angle as well as mast rake.

10. Tom.151

As built is not always precisely as drawn -- well at least for this boatbuilder ;) -- so innn many cases that needs to be confirmed.

I'd at least throw a level /protractor on the cabin top to insure that the cabin you have is exactly the same rake as the cabin in the plans.

Since you're looking for 3.5 degrees upward tilt (at the front) for the mast base then the cabin roof at the mast step needs to show 7.5 degrees below level. Of course that's assuming you've got the boat dead level on it's lines, as it sits.

Tom

11. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

Little bit of progress this weekend. Mast support. mast step, trunk sides installed.

Attached Files:

12. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

closer to finish

Fred, you are doing great!
    Nice looking cabin.
    I have had some issues with my dagger trunk seeping, once you have it "finished", put an extra coat of epoxy or two on the inside. Of course, you don't want so much build up that the board would stick, but extra epoxy in the corners will help keep it sealed in the future.
    Bruce

13. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

I'm still unsure of the best place to place my jib tracks. Where are yours? Also, any suggestions as to where to mount solar panels?

14. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

tracks and panels

Hi Fred- Getting ready to drill some holes in that nice cabin top? :(
    I had to put some "new" tracks on my 33, and it does hurt to drill that first hole, but it gets easier:cool:
    With modern well cut jibs, the angle, measured off the forestay, needs to be very close to 9 degrees. A "point high" 110% jib might be best at 8 degrees while a heavy air working jib might like 10 degrees, but that is the practical range. The location fore and aft depends entirely on the size and cut of the jibs you intend to use, and can't be "guessed". A sail maker can cut a jib to fit a given location if you already have mounted tracks, (like one design boats do) or a short section of track can be mounted to fit a given jib. An 18" to 24" piece of track is plenty to allow some adjustment and have enough bolts to spread the point loading some. Allowing for about 250 lbs uplift should be a reasonable design guide line. One inch track and 1/4" screws, properly backed up, can easily handle the load, but with a thin deck/cabin top you might have to add some internal bracing at load points.
    My 24's jibs used a cross track just in front of the mast for the self-tacker jib, a point a couple of feet aft of the mast on the 8 1/2 degree line for a 110%, and a short track just in front of the aft crossbeam- also on the 8 1/2 line for a max 155%.
    I went through a lot of trial and error, filled a lot of holes and used an excess of track, but those are the points that worked best for me. My 24 is very fast and high pointing, so this might save you some time and effort :)
    Solar panels need to be outboard as far as possible to stay out of rig shadows on a small boat, so I am using flexible panels wire tied to my tramps on my 33. There is not a lot of width on the floats on a 24, so mounting panels out there limits the size. What are you expecting to run with your panels? I am not a solar expert, but a friend (with the Buc "26") has done a lot of research and can give some good advice. We are currently experimenting with various different panels and controllers. Some of the new technology is pretty impressive and opens up the choices.
    Bruce

15. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

I am planning for now to use two trolling motors to get me away from the dock. So, I just need solar panels to recharge the batteries (2)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.