Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Jul 22, 2009.

1. lgenova

lgenova Junior Member

Bruceb

That’s a good idea, but I think that 3/8 should be reduced to 1/8 (or less) applied before the attachment to panel, I believe, this thick is enough to seal the ply end grain and after panel mounted, another fillet can be applied between frames, panels, stringers, gunwales and chines, double protecting the ply end.

Lgenova

2. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Ply details

I tend to error on the larger side- but as long as you pay attention 1/8" or even a 45 degree bevel is enough. I use a piece of 3/8" or 1/2" pcv pipe to make my fillets and I can be a little sloppy:rolleyes: I have tested some of my joints, adding a good fillet increases the strength at least 30 percent, as well as sealing the ply for very little weight gain. Bruce

3. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

The 45 degree angle sounds brilliant, what I used to do building foam core boats with ply bulkheads is glue on a 12mm x 50mm strip of 80k foam (klegecell or similar) in way of the bulkhead, glue in the bulkhead and then shape the foam into a radius with a die grinder and 40grit tube and glass over.
    Cheers,
    R.

4. kelldog

kelldog Junior Member

OldSailor7;

"Igenova.
    If you complete another two posts I will be able to PM you about a simple, but effective mainsheet/traveller arrangement which does not form a barracade across the top of the rear crossbeam. "

I would also be interested in hearing more about the mainsheet/traveler system. I have the V configuration on my rear beam and I am considering a traveler track set up. This also brings up a question; What is the advantage pro/cons of V mainsheet setup or traveler track and cars?
    Thank you,
    Kelly.

5. CT249

CT249 Senior Member

I don't know if this has been brought up (apologies if it has) but on the way home tonight I saw a Bucc 24 in Lavender Bay on Sydney Harbour. Judging from the name on the floats, there's a chance it may have been Bluey Zarsoff.

Great boat, pity to see it not apparently getting used much. I don't know how many others are around - Stirrer, minus cabin, was on Lake Burley Griffin about 10 years ago.

6. STELLA

STELLA Junior Member

OLDSAILOR7,
    Good Day.
    I would like to build a BUCCANEER 24, do you still have the plans ?
    Thank You.
    Best Regards.

7. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

STELLA
    See "Buccaneer 24' Trimaran plans for sale" thread.

8. Waterat

Waterat Junior Member

How many Buccaneer 24's are currently being built ?? It might be an idea
    for individuals to post their progress, problems Etc, 10 heads must be better
    than one, ? Waterat.

9. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Thats what the "Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum" is for, but no actual builders appear to be using it. :(

10. Waterat

Waterat Junior Member

Old Sailor, You have all the address's, lets go and and make them 'build boats"
    Waterat.

11. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Well, I've been asked to do a Miranda on the Green Death Machine by the new owners - but then, that's not building a new B24 ..... just improving it.

12. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

LOL ! WATERAT.
    That would be nice---but you must appreciate I can't do that without their permission. :eek:

13. PShip

PShip Junior Member

After reading all 17 pages I finally decided to make an account to ask a few questions.
    Backround Info: only been on one sailboat (corsair 31 aft cabin) and have already decided on a multihull future.
    Problem: Multi's cost. But, i love this design and it is said not to cost much at all.
    My questions:
    1. Would a carpenter and his tools be capable of building this?
    2. How much would plans cost, and whereabouts could i get some?
    3. Using quality materials, how much money would the hulls/crossbeams cost (not including rigging or fitting out interior)
    4. How long do you guys think it takes for an average build/er
    5. Would this boat be capable of taking four people from Fort Myers to Key West? (not a requirement, but big plus)
    Thanks for reading this and the information already posted.

14. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Miranda

How much "Miranda" are you planing Gary? It should be interesting. B

15. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Buc cost

PShip, do you have the study plans? If not, I have a material list. If you are in south Florida, everything you need is available in your area, at good pricing right now. Crowther was very careful to use the least plywood possible- it really helps with costs. It is also designed to be easy to build, a competent carpenter should not have any trouble. The 24 is a small tri, it will easily make the passage in decent weather, with four crew, but at least two of them are going to be sleeping on the tramps. I race mine with 2-4 crew, and can carry 6 if they are not too heavy, but the boat starts to slow down a lot if over-loaded. There was a nice Buc 24 for sale down in the Sarasota area a year ago, I don't know where it went. B

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.