Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Jul 22, 2009.

1. santacruz58

santacruz58 Senior Member

If a 5.8 or 19 foot nacra hull weighs 61 kilos.then the 62.72 for the buc ama still sounds good.
    Any idea how much the main hull of Sid weighs Gary. It is 3mm ply if I remember correctly. I guess about 130 kilos or 286 lbs.
    nelson

2. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Bruce, OS7 anyone ? Is this a good result ?

3. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

70 kgs, Nelson - but then I extended the transom 500mm (only in foam and glass and it's a pointy thing) and also put a high aspect daggerboard and case forward of beam (maybe 5 kgs total) - but then I reduced the depth of the rudder by 200mm, also beefed up main sheet track ... so around 77 kgs for an 8.5 metre hull.

4. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Sorry RR. I can't comment.
    I never weighed my B24 amas. They couldn't have been too light though as although I didn't glass them, I coated them with a thick coat of Epoxy Tar, followed by two coats of the silver paint which which they paint fuel tanks etc:. This was later followed by coating with two coats of white marine paint in the conventional manner, because the glare from the silver paint was too painful. :eek:

5. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

RR
    Will weigh one of our test mule unmolested floats when we get a chance and post details, weight will be exclusive of paint or glass.

Cheers
    Craig and Team Ezifold

6. outside the box

7. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Craig, are you guys working out a fold system for buck, or would the beam mount set you guys carry be the set up for it?

Barry

8. outside the box

Hi Barry
    Yes we have a folding set of beams for the buc test mule, however it won't have them until after it is sailing as there is a mountain of design/engineering work to get the beams 100% right and folding in a controlled manner. Floats stay upright and only metal parts are the pivot pins.
    Brooke is placing an advert for another design engineer/drafts person today and we are presently interviewing for a boat builder junior to join the team. It is just the amount of man hours we have available that slows progress.
    The beam mount sets on the website are for the folding Catamaran retrofit.
    The demountible ply home build beam plans are complete and going through final engineering tweeks but can be built from now.
    Email Brooke if you would like more detailed info.
    Regards
    Craig and team Ezifold

9. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Thanks for info, and yeah been keeping an eye on beam files progress. I planned to not bother you till I'm actually starting build though, don't wanna waste valuable time unless I'm elbows deep in it. And too bad your. Half way across the world or I'd be first inline to be your lackey for kicks alone! Poeple just don't build here much any more so hard to keep your feet wet.

Barry

10. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

OK. Heres my rant:-----
    Lock Crowther designed a little pocket cruiser. It was fine for the purpose for which it was designed. Everybody seems to want to change it. :(
    It turned out to have an abnormal ability to go fast and so was often used for racing,-- In which it proved to be a giant killer. :D
    How was that so.:?:
    It was because it was light, but strong. It was because it had near semicircular hull sections , even though it was a simple to build multi chine shape. It was because it avoided the "Piver Problem", of permanently immersed Amas, and thus it could tack amazingly fast. It had a much criticised "Rump", which was one way of limiting it's LOA, and thus made it easier and cheaper to build whilst still providing more buoyancy in the rear to help support cockpit loading. At the same time it caused a corialis effect on the buttocks, which helped keep the stern down when travelling fast. This may be one of the one of the reasons which helped the B24 to have the remarkable history of never, in forty five years, been reported to have pitch-poled or capsized.:cool:
    OK. So it throws up a stern "rooster tail" at high speeds. So What. So does a speed boat. It's not a problem. It's a rebound of the corialis effect.
    See the vid of Samnz "Green DeathTrap", throwing a fine rooster tail whilst overhauling at a rapid rate a bunch of other multis.:eek:
    If I was building a B24 again I would not change a thing except to fit a vertical dagger board, replace the spinnaker pole with a "Prodder" and fit a fully battened Fathead mainsail, with a furling forestay for the Jibs.
    As I did with my own B24 I would still go with the Mk2 cabin but with the Mk1 cabin width. This allows longer berths in the cabin, with jib sheet tracks on the side walkway decks, close to the cabin sides. This eliminates the need to bolt the jib sheet tracks on the cabin top, while at the same time allowing the narrow jib sheeting angles which give this boat it's exceptional windward ability.
    The B24, a forty five year old design, is still as good looking as any "Modern" design, and which can still be a worry to the best of them on the race course.
    Gary Baigent refers to the "Marvelous Buccaneer 24". He is right.:cool:
    Rant Over :D

11. outside the box

OS7
    All noted and agreed the facts are un disputable but times have changed materials have changed and 100% agree if people want a stock standard But 24 then build one, If they want an upgrade then build one, if they want to build the 8.5 Buc inspired then build one ;-) Hell boats are like our taste in women each to their own personal choice.
    Have a great day.
    Cheers
    Craig and team Ezifold

12. outside the box

Barry
    Absolutely no problem. We all learn from questions asked so never hold back just because you haven't started yet.
    Cheers
    Craig and team Ezifold

13. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Craig and team Easyfold.
    Totally agree. :D
    Lookin' forward to the Bucc inspired 8.5M.

14. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Yeah for sure! OnLay stupid questions are the ones not asked, well and stupid questions, but I digress! I like the idea of both bucc'Is! But I'm kinda retro so I want to do original for now. With limited space though I just need to add folding for storage and one handed launch.

Barry

15. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

hey Marmoset, I'm at the early stage of building Sid 650 (21 foot 4 ins) and this Sid will be a folder, actually not a folder but a swing main beam of 7 metres to fore and aft. Will eat any B24. Sorry OS7, couldn't resist it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.