Brown/Marples Seaclipper 24MC

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by BillAU, Jun 22, 2010.

1. BillAU

BillAU Junior Member

G'day mates,

I'm a new Aussie member interested in the new Jim Brown/John Marples SC24MC:
    [​IMG]

I had bought the plans for the SC20 but when John let me know he was working on a SC24MC, (MC = Micro Cruiser) I thought the SC24MC would better suit my needs, and so I bought the plans (upgraded) to the SC24MC.
    It now looks like I'm the first person to buy a set of plans for John and Jims new SC24MC and my Tri is sail # 1.

Anyone else here building a SC24MC or thinking of doing so? If so, I think this could be a good place to share information/progress reports on the SC24MC. It has been well over 23 years since I built my last boat, a 40' Wharram and I'm not real comfortable being the leading hand building the first SC24MC but I guess someone has to be first.

Anyway, if you're building, or thinking of building, a SC24MC, I would like to hear from you.

Cheers mates,

Bill
    Geelong. Australia.

2. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

That looks like a much more reasonable small cruiser than the 20 footer they were designing. How does the swing system work, what is it made of. Looks like 2x 10s! Jim may be the only designer in his age/experience bracket who is out cruising small boats that size, at least in the last 10 years.

3. BillAU

BillAU Junior Member

G'day,

In Jim's case, you can't keep on old sea-dog down ;)
    As for the swing system, it's quite simple and is just that, a swing arm system. The lower arms swing in or out under the upper arms.
    The forward aka is made from 2x8' long and 4x6' long planks. All are dressed down to 1 and a 1/2" x 11 and a 1/2" timbers.
    The aft aka is made from 2x8' long and 4x6' long. All dressed down to 1 and a 1/2" x 9 and a 1/2" timbers. I'll build mine from old, 80 years +, Oregan beams I have in my shop.
    When finished, I'll double coat them with a good clear marine timber treatment.

Cheers,

Bill
    Australia

4. Milan

Milan Senior Member

5. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

That drawing is most strange. Like one of those trick pictures where a flight of steps leads to nowhere.
    The cockpit appears to be symetrical and the footwell is on the centreline of the hull --but is in line with the companionway which is on the port side of the cabin. :eek:

6. BillAU

BillAU Junior Member

G'day Oldsailor7,

I don't care how strange the SC24MC drawing looks "to you", I'm sure it will all work out when the job is done :). Jim Brown has been designing, building and sailing Trimarans for around sixty years, give or take a year. So I'll take Jim Brown and John Marples Trimaran plans and advice on building a Tri over "most" other people out there. I'm just sorry I don't have the space or the time to build one of their 36' - 40' Tri's, nor do I have spare the houndred thousand plus dollars to buy one. :( So I'll just have to settle for my SC24MC, which will cost me 5 to 10 thousand dollars to build...Depending on materials used :)
    If you have never heard of Jim Brown or John Marples, (they are not newcommers to boat design and building ;)) just google Searunner Trimarans and you'll find a number of Jim's designed Searunners...All of Jim's Searunner (blue water) Tri's offered for sale, hold their value and...I have "never" heard "anyone" who know Jim's Tri's say anything bad about Jim, or John's, Trimarans.
    That being the case, I'll stick with my Jim Brown/John Marples Seaclipper 24 Micro Cruiser (SC24MC) and I believe I'll be happy with it...If I follow the plans and instructions...Which I will ;) After all, that's why I paid two Tri experts for their SC24MC plans and...Advice on building ;).

Bill
    Australia

7. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

LOL' Bill.
    I was Jim Browns Canadian agent and was selling his plans 45 years ago. :D
    I was not deriding his boats in my post ---just the curious drawing.

8. BillAU

BillAU Junior Member

G'day Oldsailor7 :)
    After living in Canada for a time, I know for sure you Canuks are a strange bunch but...You're okay mate ;)
    I'll let you all know if my SC24MC ends-up with anything strange about her...After I get her built ;)

Cheers oldsailor mate :)

Bill
    Australia

9. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Thanks Bill, but I am not a Canuck.
    like yourself I just happened to live there for a while---20 yrs actually.

I must say I like the idea of the backward pivotting crossbeams on the SC24MC. I am sure it will also have Jim Browns signature chined bottom, which is the nearest thing to a round section that you can get without double diagonal planking. :D

10. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Hi old sailor, the cockpit looks inline with the offset hatch because of the beam. If the beam wasn't there and the cockpit lines continued the offset would be more easily seen. Drink a pint to Jim and squint with the other eye :) It looks like it has the Seaclipper dory style hull instead of the Searunner chine you mentioned.

11. BillAU

BillAU Junior Member

Sc24mc

G'day mates,

I'm no expert in boat building or sailing. Although I'm a retired seaman, I have yet to sail "anything", and the last boat I built was a 40' Wharram. That was over 20 years ago and I sold her before I got her on the water.
    Anyway, the SC24MC has a flat bottom, they are the big sister to the SC20 that can be seen in this video
    I first ordered, and received, the plans for the SC20 but before I got started on her, John let me know he was working on a 24' micro cruiser and as I believe the SC24MC would better suit my needs, I jumped onboard straight away and ordered the plans, so I'm building the SC24MC instead of the SC20.

In building a SC24MC there's a little more involved, like a strongback, larger bulkheads, hull-frame and cuddy cabin but basically, the two boat hulls are pretty similar.
    Scott built the first SC20, with the help of two workers, in less than "two months" :eek: (Scott told me he did not do much work on that SC20 as he had busted his leg, so he mostly supervised) Anyway, I don't know how long it will take me to build my SC24MC but...I bet it will be longer than two or three months :(
    I'll be working on my own but I "hope" to have her finished and on the water by Christmas 2010 :D I won't be taking any bets on that, I have a "lot" of other commitments for both my wife and I (these are commitments that can not be put off) but...We'll see how I go with the building of my SC24MC :D

Cheers mates,

Bill
    Australia

12. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Good luck with your build Bill.
    If you plan your work carefully I'm sure that you can finish it by Christmas.
    It really makes a difference if you can get a part time helper for those jobs where four hands are needed.
    Cheers. OS7 :D

13. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

are they any particulars available about the design? estimated weight, recommended rig type, ect?

14. BillAU

BillAU Junior Member

SC24MC Line Drawings

Yes mate,

John and Jim provide full-on detailed plans for the SC24MC, I can't let you have the plans ;) But here are the line drawings for the SC24MC, I think they will provide answers to your questions :) The links below will open three PDF files, each one will open in a new window and you can clearly see all the provided information.

http://allboatinghub.com/pdf/Temp00001.PDF
    http://allboatinghub.com/pdf/Temp00002.PDF
    http://allboatinghub.com/pdf/Temp00003.PDF

Cheers mates :D

Bill

15. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

Thank you!

I like the simplicity of the design. 1800 lbs with 370 sq feet of sail area. Are their any estimates on the cost of the build?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.