Brown/Marples Seaclipper 24MC

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by BillAU, Jun 22, 2010.

1. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Bill,
    The Careel 22 is a nice little boat.
    I started my sailing career, (after many dunkings on a Sailfish), on a very similar boat, and had many happy times with my wife and two small children on it. Then I got into multihulls----and the rest is history.
    Go for it Mate. :D

2. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Good on ya Bill. (I write this while taking a break from sanding epoxy) Sounds like you've made a good choice. All boats are a lot of work - even simple ones. That said, it might be an idea to hang on to your plans and bits in the meantime - a season or two sailing your mono may very well intensify that building itch:)

Oh well, back to the grind(er) ;)

3. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

In that size range it is hard to fault a monohull for room. I kept my trailer sailor for that reason (though we haven't launched it in years). A Macgregor 23, it chased down a few searunner 25s in moderate conditions and can plane past 10 knots in enough wind if you are brave. The best job it did was keep us sailing while we looked for a bigger multihull. Lead the lines to the cockpit etc...to stay off the decks at sea (they heel!) and enjoy being on the water which is the important thing. Those plans might be fun for a winter project, a part made now and then add up to a boat in the long run.

4. rayaldridge

rayaldridge Senior Member

Bill, I think it's always better to go sailing than to go building, if sailing is more fun than building for you. I'm that way myself. The only reason I built Slider was because I wanted a kind of boat that didn't yet exist, and the only reason I'm building another is for much the same reason-- the lack of a trailerable fast cruising cat that is as easy to launch as a trailerable tri. (I prefer cats to tris, for cruising.)

But that said, you might be surprised by your wife's reaction to sailing on a multi rather than a monohull. Our first boat was a Wharram Tane. Then we began to have children, and decided that we wanted a boat with more interior room, which led to a series of monohull yachts. We had a lot of fun with those boats, and it was nice to have the space below at anchor. But while actually sailing, none of them was as comfortable as our tiny 16 foot cat. My wife was often a bit unenthusiastic about the actual sailing in the monohulls-- once we crept away from the fuel dock in a Catalina 22. I had the sheets cleated, like a an idiot. As we cleared the lee of the condominium , a gust laid the boat over on her beam ends and Nancy was left flying like a flag from the forestay. Were she not a fairly strong young woman in those days, she'd have been in the drink. (A disaster of another sort might have occurred with a cat, but I wouldn't have had the sheets cleated.) I can recall another time out on the Gulf, in our Hunter 27, when everyone but me was severely seasick, three little kids lying on the cabin sole throwing up, and Nancy throwing up too, but trying to help the kids. Events like that do more to discourage people from going sailing than just about anything else.

Anyway, to get to the point, with Slider, it's hard for me to go sailing by myself, because Nancy likes it so much. It's comfortable, stable, and feels extremely safe, in comparison to even a much larger monohull. You might show your wife this video and mention that the tri for which you have plans is much bigger than Slider:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_9IUvcBgq4&feature=channel

Good luck, and I hope the health problems don't stop you from doing what you'd really like to do.

5. BillAU

BillAU Junior Member

Quick Update

G'day mates,

Thanks for all your advice, it is much appreciated. Getting my wife to set foot on "any" boat but a cruse ship...A bloody big cruse ship at that...Will be near-on impossible but...I live in hope.

As for the Careel 22 I've bought...Houston, we have a problem :(
    I towed the Careel home yesterday, in torential rain and arrived home safely, only to find getting the Careel into my shop, where I planed to house it, would never happen! The Careel, on her trailer is to high! Hell, I can't even get her fully under my carport, and where she's sitting now, she takes-up all the width of my driveway and her bow/mast top is sticking out from under the front of my carport...I knew I forgot to do something when I first seen the Careel for sale...I forgot to get her measurements, her height on the trailer, from the ground to the highest point and her beam.:rolleyes:

My driveway runs at an angle so reversing any trailer from the roadway, up my driveway, is not fun at the best of times but, getting the Careel in there, with help, was a bleeding nightmare :( I had to call my nephew, he came over and watched me/guided me, up the drive...Getting the Careel up there on my own would be an even bigger nightmare, I would stand a better than good chance of wrecking my carport, or the entry steps and small deck I built, to make things easier for my wife to leave and enter our home :eek:

Now I believe I have three choices, 1: To look for a secure hard where I can park the Careel on it's trailer, in my area, or 2: Sell the Careel and go back to plan A, build the SC24MC, and finally 3: Sell the Careel 22, forget about building the SC24MC and rent a boat when I want to get out on the water :confused:

There ya have it mates...I'm in a pickle...Again :rolleyes:

From a pretty confused Bill :confused:

6. cavalier mk2

Let the air out of the tires?

7. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Whats the height difference?

8. BillAU

BillAU Junior Member

G'day mates,

After thinking things over, I'm going to raise the height of the carport by installing new longer posts. That will be the quickest way out of this little problem for me :)

Bill

9. Waterat

Waterat Junior Member

There you go Bill, I told you, life was a *****, throw the darn thing in the water and go
    sailing and have a ball, Johny.

10. BillAU

BillAU Junior Member

That's what I plan to do Johny but if this rain don't stop soon, I won't have to take the C22 to the water...The water will come to the C22 :)
    The east side of Australia is being hammered with life taking floods, so-far Queensland is getting the worst of it, with 15 confirmed dead and 70 missing.
    We just pray all the missing people turn-up safe and sound.

Bill

11. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

And all you Guys in the USA and other spots want to understand what it is really like in Qld just now,----remember some of the scenes from the movie "2012". :eek:

12. cavalier mk2

In the Northwest we are beyond our usual wet and soggy and our thoughts are with those who are even wetter which is hard to imagine. I thought it was summer back there?! La Nina I'm sure....what is this year supposed to be? None of us will be getting much gluing done unless we switch to underwater epoxy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.