Bridgedeck centreboard why don't they work???

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by valery gaulin, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Arrow cat

========================

As far as I know that wasn't a kick-up foil. Interestingly, the boat had kick-up rudders with no foils! Think about that.......

2. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Supplementary questions. :D

Heavy objects like batteries, fuel, water, beer etc; Is it not better to have them in the hulls assuming even distribution than in a nacelle ?

What are the pluses and minuses ?

Load distribution, would a nacelle actually help with mast and forestay loads ? I just assumed they would as its a deeper structure ?

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

nacelle

Definitely helps with the loads-that's why all the AC cats have them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

What about where the weight goes ? Should a nacelle be light storage or heavy ?

The clear advantage is isolating dangerous storage like fuel and gas.

5. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Ok more questions, my interest is in cats in the 7-8m range.
    Do you think there is a wet deck height where the effect of a nacelle is negligible and a height where it is going to be a major hindrance ?

6. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I think you are looking at this material a little differently than one should. Sure in long planks it is not rigid.
    But in blocks etc it is a very incompressible, strong material, that has very good wear capabilities and can be self lubricating to a degree.

Here are a few quotes:
    You can find many more positive attributes with an internet search.

I'm not sure of which item you are speaking of constructing here?

As I mention above I had hopes of utilizing a simple 'plain' bearing, ...but there may well be other candidates

As I said before the central nacelle was not going to be constructed simply to support this central board(s) idea, but rather as a backbone to the catamaran fore-to-aft rigidity, and as a potential wave splitter up front, and as possible even the longeron for the headsay (no forebeam) , ala Gunboat

7. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

One large foil is more efficient than 2 smaller ones. This is an aerodynamic fact. Less tip losses. 2 regular daggers have 2 sets of tip loss. The center mounted version only has one tip loss which would offset the lack of endplate to some degree.

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Bridgedeck Centerboard

I know model testing and the results obtained from it are anathema to some around here but in some recent European RC multihull races a cat with a single bridgedeck foil and a single center foil on a square platform has beaten all "normal" cats and tri's........

9. UpOnStands

UpOnStands Senior Member

models are fine, of cruisers.

10. UpOnStands

UpOnStands Senior Member

sorry but that type of bearing is designed to accept heavy vertical loads directly over the center of rotation. Look at the center of the bearing -- a simple mushroomed rivet holds everything together. bigger and heavier versions? sure but how much additional weight is acceptable to you?

I actually used such a bearing for my son's 180kg motorbike -- made it possible to drive the bike straight into a tight space and then spin it around by lifting under the motor. But, even slight off-center loads created large wobble as the bearing is just not designed to take off-axis loads.

11. brian eiland

This 'central board' right under the CE of the sailing rig, and central to the center of the vessel, could make for a quicker tacking vessel, particularly those cruising types that usually keep both hulls in the water at all times. :idea::D

12. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Another benefit. As Oldsailor said his tri tacked much better with the central fin compared to 2 outboard boards. Moving the CE of the board aft by pivoting it will also reduce the tendency to broach in a following sea.

There are many benefits to this idea.

13. UpOnStands

UpOnStands Senior Member

this suggests possible implementation
    yellow is UHMW
    4 cm dia hole thru the stub arm is not shown :mad:

Attached Files:

14. brian eiland

You are pretty handy with those computer generated illustrations. Wish I could do it,... just never took the time to learn this new technology

15. brian eiland

I was trying to look up 'surplus helicopter blades' but is was getting annoying. I know there have to be MANY out there, and likely in decent shape for our use,...just not certifiable for flying any more.

I saw this,..oops file size exceeded forum limits

How about this..
    http://www.nwhelicopters.com/nwh/
    (files with photos within are too large)

How about this...
    images for helicopter blades shape
    or this...
    http://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/8914/why-dont-helicopter-blades-look-like-other-propellers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.