Boxy Fisher Catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Fanie, Mar 11, 2009.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

If you claim to be a cruising yachtsmen, and you do not have a line over the stern then you are only a "marina jock" who pretends to be a cruiser... That is my main source of food when sailing...

2. Richard Atkin

Richard Atkin atn_atkin@hotmail.com

Well....at least kill the fish immediately so it doesn't suffer for ages. cut it's head off quickly.
    Fish have a well-developed nervous system. There is no scientific reason to believe they feel less pain than humans. Just a thought.

Fanie do you still intend to put the kitchen on the bridgedeck? I was going to say galley but it's more like a houseboat isn't it?

1 person likes this.
  3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Houseboat on the sea :D I doubt that would work very well ! No, it would be more like a... er well, boat :D

I think most yachies don't fish, the sailing can keep you buzy. Ever noticed how many ropes some okes have to deal with ? You need a computer to keep track of it all. Mine will have only a few lines and half of them will be fishing lines :D

Richard, we fish for the fun, I put most of my fish back, maybe keep one or two smaller ones.

Bloody hell, I'm still waiting for the roto jig :-(

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Dunno what's up with the image uploader :( It keeps on giving me the finger.

Some of the roto jig's parts finally arrived. Got to weld them together now.

The nose cone is still outstanding.

Attached Files:

5. rayaldridge

rayaldridge Senior Member

It's true that a lot of yachties are pretty busy with sailing. I suppose that's another argument for simplicity, and for multihullers, it argues for a conservative rig. If you have to be constantly alert in case a little puff comes along, it's probably pretty hard to concentrate on your fishing lines. I met a retired couple in an F-27 a while back; we were anchored near them. The husband noticed the rod holders on Slider's rudderstocks and told me he just didn't want the distraction of trying to fish while sailing. I guess it's important that the boat be well-behaved. When a fish hits, you should be able to let the tillers go and tend to your catch without worrying about the boat taking off.

Richard, when I've caught enough for dinner, or for the smoker, I reel in my lines and don't catch any more.

There's an interesting blog here:

http://fishingundersail.blogspot.com/

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Ah ! But you see that's why you should have an auto steering and an easy to use sail setup. My auto steering will be electrically controlled from wind direction, compass or GPS direction, haven't tested these yet but am busy putting it together.

The sail is going to be like the aft mast one the little tri had, when the fish hits you can stop the boat in about 3 to 5 seconds. Take you that long to get it sailing again.

The difference is trolling with a motor is expensive, especially if you do it all day long for a couple of weeks. The sailing makes it quiet, economic and I'd say more enjoyable. You can also just fish or just sail, both nice to do.

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Is this too cluttered ?

I would like the 6 alarm times displayed if possible.
    The left 3 are 'repead every' alarms while the right 3 are 'alarm at' alarms.

The displays are not the biggest they can be, but compared to larger ones these are a LOT more economic on power.

I cannot read the alarm times up close without my glasses on, but I will make it so you can press a button and it display's the alarm's times in the big text you see there.

Attached Files:

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I also changed the barometer. If you don't know this is the barometer, then cannot help you. It won't be the boat's tyre pressure ;)
    The low you see there was 1022.1mbar. I missed when it came down from 1030 point something to around 1022mbar in a relative short time.

Attached Files:

9. dialdan

dialdan Junior Member

Hi Fanie
    I really like your barometer and have been wondering if it were possible to change the timescale over say the last 3 hrs to see a more dramatic change in direction? I know very little about such devices but can really see the value of having one aboard.
    Cheers
    Al

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Al, yes I can make the time probably microseconds too :D

Three hours is quite a short time. The 20 hour scale you see on the moment is a click every ten minutes. There are 120 clicks across where the graph is drawed in.

With three hours you will get a click about every 90 seconds. The disadvantage at such a short interval is you are going to see an almost streight line most of the time. To see a change it is going to have to be quite radical, and even then I will be seeing the same on the 20hr scale. The 3 hour one will only be updated sooner.

It's up to you, however.

It may well be possible to shorten the time if there are more radical changes within a given period. ie say the pressure slowly rises or falls, then the update scale remains slow. If a radical change is detected, the sale changes and the graph gets updated sooner.

I'm not sure if that would have the right effect though. I can ponder it a bit and see if there would be an advantage to it. If you know something I don't then spit it out.

11. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

Fanie, your instruments look good. I'd leave the barometer as is now. I use a watch (a Suunto) which has a barometer in it, and part of its display is the last 6 hours (1 hour increments). Its just a few button pushes to get to the screen and you don't have to move from your seat! While it might be better if the updates were more frequent (newer models or other brands may do that), having 'coarse' info on your wrist is all you need. If it takes a dip then go take a look at Fanie's one to get a better idea of how fast its dropping.
    Brian

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Eh Brian, this IS a new model :D

This is a picture I took today. Over the last few hours the pressure dropped from 1024mbar to below 1020mbar,

[​IMG]

and in picture 2 you can see the evidence ;) The severity of the drop should be an indication of what to expect from the weather
    A mild drop like this one isn't going to be bad. If it drops to say 1010mbar or lower you can expect worse to much worse weather.

The warning is only a few hours in advance, but at least there's an indication.

In the past we noticed the fish suddenly stopped biting and you'd know there may be something, but it was guesswork. The school
    might have moved on. Now you have a proper indication.

[​IMG]

If the pressure dropped more radical, you will still see it clearly. Instead of the gradual slant down, the curve of the graph would just be steeper.

The slant down you see there is about 5 hours, and you can see it looks like the low has now bottomed out.

I can now expect some 1020mbar grade weather :D

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

The wind just started coming into play a short while ago, ave I'd say around 20km/hr with gusts of around 40km/hr. I have an anemometer to check wind speed with. I put it up when I was playing with some wind generators. If you were going somewhere you can generate a bit of spray :D Take the quick shower in case you don't get a chance later on.

[​IMG]

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Just a short while later and the pressure is lifting already !

The wind is still doing quite well though. We are probably not in the low pressure trough, just cought in it's way or on the side of it.

Remember the digital readout (1021.2mbar) is updated three times a second, so moment to moment pressure values is visible all the time.

[​IMG]

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

And to confirm I checked with our local weater online here

http://www.southafricanweather.co.za/aat/default.asp?area=FAIR

Note their scale is 1020 to 1025 here, it is changed / updated every hour on the half hour

[​IMG]

here you can see the pressure in the forecast too, also updated every hour on the half hour.

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.