Blending designs ( Tomcat, Waller )

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by saltifinch, Mar 26, 2016.

1. saltifinch

saltifinch Junior Member

Very nice work! Again, that is why I am not "designing" a cat. Just blending two already established designs. I wouldn't dream of building this without instructions, although there are enough building blogs out there to probably do it. If you've lived in my world, where you constantly extrapolate from the most meager of drawings and explanations, it's not as difficult to work this out in your head.

But as regards where to fiberglass additional layers and exact dimensions and shapes, I have no idea, and rely on the experts. Steel is my baby, not glass.

2. bscatam

bscatam Junior Member

Example of steering solution drawings.

Attached Files:

• UPR1.jpg
      UPR1.jpg
      File size:
      234.4 KB
      Views:
    • UPR3.jpg
      UPR3.jpg
      File size:
      143.8 KB
      Views:
  3. saltifinch

saltifinch Junior Member

Interesting ideas on the steering! I admit I'm very ignorant on how the some of the mechanics actually work out with regards to sail placement, steering, and all that jazz. It's nice to see actual drawings of concepts and designs that can help me visualize how these things work.

4. bscatam

bscatam Junior Member

Actually its much more complex which I have in CAD drawings. This is only 3D concepts.

Attached Files:

5. saltifinch

saltifinch Junior Member

Just curious why you're investing so much time into learning how to design. Do you have some new ideas you want to bring to the field? It seems like the catamaran design has pretty much been perfected, the arguments over small details at an impasse, and plenty of great plans out there at a minimal cost.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, just add a little bling to it ;)

6. bscatam

bscatam Junior Member

It somthing like to make suit to mesure. All which is on the market is ready made.

7. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Note to self, read posts more carefully. You are right 6' clearance at that point isn't really a huge ask and should be feasible if there is seated clearance in forward section of the saloon. It's certainly better than many of the 'wedding cake' style arrangements we are seeing on current production multihulls.

8. saltifinch

saltifinch Junior Member

And it allows anyone in the cockpit to receive shelter while standing. To me, that's a huge bonus. If you have 20 kts of wind blowing over your boat, and you stand up and get hit with that, its going to be unpleasant. All said, I think the windage sacrifice is a small penalty compared to the huge comfort bonus.

9. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.