Bi-rig performance cruiser

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Nordic Cat, Apr 17, 2008.

1. rayaldridge

rayaldridge Senior Member

It's a great book. I've read my copy halfway to death.

It is aimed at those who want to go cruising in small multis, rather than the kind you'd want to live aboard. Jones' philosophy was that a small boat was quicker to build, required less time and money to maintain and fit out. None of his boats have standing headroom, for example.

That isn't to say he didn't make notable voyages in his boats. He crossed the Atlantic more than once, and in his trimaran cruised the Atlantic circle. But he separated the functions of living and cruising-- much preferring his house for the former.

Ray

2. Nordic Cat

Nordic Cat Senior Member

Thanks RayA. I have ordered the book, should be here in a few days,looking forward to learn some more.

I have given the whole bi-rig thing a bit of thought, as to why the Radical Bay and maybe also other smaller bi-rigs might be underperforming.

My theory is that if the relationship of the distance between the masts, and boom length/Sail Aspect Ratio are not good, then blanketing becomes more of an issue. i.e. a short wide sail compared to a tall thin sail.

I also believe that by using good flat fully battened sails of AR>3 this problem can me minimised.

It might still be a good idea to work a jib into the configuration if needed. This will give me 130 m2 of upwind sail area on a single rig, so performance should be OK.

At the end of the day I stil think that SA/D still rules to a large extent, so having the power available is the best option.

Regards

Alan

3. yipster

yipster designer

i like boats that are easy and low cost on building, big or small house has plenty more and other reasoning
    on a non racer boat with headroom and all comforts i belive living aboard is a good thing for boat and crew

a while back i tried to read up on bi-planes a bit, learned a thing or two like the 6 or were it 7 way's the bi planes can be configured
    against each other like twist, stagger etc didn’t make that much difference long as keeping minimal a chord length in between

the bi-plane could be attractive but had a hard time finding the nitty gritty on aerodynamics when using it as bi-sails
    not to many bi-plane confiurations windtunnel test to google while on a boat bi-rig pro's may still outweigh their cons

4. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.