Best Build Your Own Trailer Friendly Multihull? Now that Farrier is N/A

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by shadowtill, Jul 13, 2013.

1. shadowtill

shadowtill Junior Member

For several years I dreamed of having the time and money to purchase and start on a Farrier kit. Now that I have the time and money I was saddened to see that as of Sept 2012 he is not longer making his plans available.

I am interested in making this a project, I would like to build the boat myself. Can anyone here suggest any kits or design kits similar to what Farrier had to offer? It's a shame because there are so many documented Farrier builds.

Can you please suggest a similar Trailer-able Tri kit from another reputable company?

Does anyone know the best way to buy or find a legacy kit or build that never materialized from Farrier?

Thanks,
    Sean

2. tomas

tomas Senior Member

Since you say that you have the budget for it, why not look for a used Farrier instead of building one? You would then have the option of customizing it as you please.

3. shadowtill

shadowtill Junior Member

Because I would like the experience and effort in building it.

4. kiwi_bob

kiwi_bob Junior Member

2nd hand Farrier plans

I believe Farrier sold a lot more plans than were ever actually completed. A lot of people make a start and then give up as it's a lot of hard work and crap loads of money. I bought the partially completed (maybe 5% done) efforts of another guy who started building an F82 then ran of health/motivation/money and I finished the project. If you advertise you are interested and where you are and what plans you are after you may well still be able to get a set of plans and maybe a head start on the project.

I understand the sentiment of wanting to build not buy second hand. It makes no financial sense but it is satisfying to hoon about in something you have created.

I do not know of anyone offering the equivalent plans with the level of detail Farrier provided unfortunately.

5. kiwi_bob

kiwi_bob Junior Member

Also Farrier id offering the F22 in varying levels of completion if you want that boat and maybe don't want to start from the very beginning....

6. teamvmg

teamvmg Senior Member

Sean

there is nothing out there to match the Farrier plans and back-up.

What size F-boat would suit you best? There are a few un-used plans about that I hear of from time to time

Paul

7. DarthCluin

DarthCluin Senior Member

8. shadowtill

shadowtill Junior Member

Ideally I would love an F82 as the time needed for the larger F9 or F32 would be daunting but still possible. Not many F22 plans are available but that would also be great. So I suppose it would've the smaller of Ian's designs. I work in SE Asia and had the pleasure of seeing one of the first F22's built in the Philippines (don't know if this is still the shop he is working with or not) what a beauty. But since my leisure time, warehouses and CNC machines are all in New York, that is whe I would like to work on this creature.

If anyone hears about plans up for sale or a partial build going to the wayside please let me know.... And thanks in advance for all the help.

After researching this since about 2003 I knew Farrier's kits and plans and support were going to be a hard act to follow.

Thanks,
    Sean

9. shadowtill

shadowtill Junior Member

Thanks for the heads up

Thanks for the heads up... Reminds me when I first got the study plans from Farrier... I will look into this.

10. tamas

tamas Junior Member

Where are you located, An f82 was on ebay last week for $30k, partly finished, located near Brisbane Qld, Australia. Looked like a good price and a good project

11. shadowtill

shadowtill Junior Member

New York, USA ... all the action is down under :)

12. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

What about a Crowther Buccaneer 24?

Plans are relatrively easy to modify to get an extra foot or two, apparently, and they are still available from OldSailor7 for about US$150...

OK, so you don't get Farrier's back-up, but there is a healthy Bucc 24 builders group and numerous threads on this forum....

Just a thought... :)

13. teamvmg

teamvmg Senior Member

Sean

pm sent re F-22 plans

14. teamvmg

teamvmg Senior Member

Hello???

15. basil

basil Senior Member

Shadowstil

check out this site

www.multihull.de/ There a set of F82R plans for sale there - 450 euro

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.