bamboo boat, launch their first small test boat a double outrigger

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I suppose the method of converting bamboo to lumber is going to be proprietary?

Some information about the process/ material properties would be interesting.

You could make the same thing out of glued up paper just to get something to float - its been done before.

BS about the fibers being stronger than steel is just that.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

A new class of scow shaped racing bamboo fridge boats undergoing preliminary sea trials in the Philippines.

[​IMG]
    subir fotos online

4. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Don't you wish we weren't so full of ourselves that we couldn't do that? Or something equivilent.

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

surfing a wave in on a fridge has a strange allure. When I was a kid I'd build fuel drum rafts and float around on the dam at my grandparents place we even got extra fancy with a square sail on one of them. Good, fun times and we survived.

6. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Love that pic Michael.

7. Baltic Bandit

Baltic Bandit Previous Member

Love the French translated website "Materials will be realized and tested" as opposed to the correct translation of "Materials will be made and tested"...

The issue of making a matrix material isn't likely to be difficult, nor is it likely to be difficult to be stronger BY WEIGHT than steel. the mfg technique is likely going to be somewhat proprietary but I don't think it will be that wildly off.

8. Petros

Petros Senior Member

bamboo is not that strong of a structural material or they would be making the equivalent of plywood and glue-laminated beams out of it (lumber made of douglas fir and western hemlock is much stronger and stiffer). Bamboo also has almost no rot resistance. Bamboo is similar to grass fiber. Seems to me it would use a lot of epoxy or similar toxic adhesive, so not sure if that meets their "sustainability" claim.

good luck to them.

9. Baltic Bandit

Bamboo is long strand organic fibers. You are right that once the external shell of bannboo is broken its rot resistance goes down. but in tension - which is what fiber matrixes are good at

10. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

In that case we should be using bamboo for shrouds.

Nothing else I know is only in tension.
    But that is quibbling because every material has a "best" but gets used for a lots more things.

11. Baltic Bandit

Well the reason we build things in tubular form is to put the loads into tension as much as possible. About the only material that does better in compression than tension is concrete

12. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

I've got a friend who makes bamboo canoe paddles. The blades are very strong and out-perform other woods. The fibers resemble fiberglass and flex/bend slightly. He does apply a thin ply of fiberglass to laminate the bamboo, which helps to prevent water intrusion. I've had the paddle a good long time and paddled it hundreds of miles...no issues so far.

With regard to their sustainability claim, they appear to be referring to bamboo being a naturally grown in the regions, which means it's a sustainable resource that can be harvested. In that sense, they don't have to import or harm tree populations. We all know the Amazon & other forests are continually being over-harvested.

The local home improvement stores are selling a lot of bamboo flooring for homes. The fibers are thin, strong and very durable.

To me, bamboo as a resource makes very good sense.

13. Petros

Petros Senior Member

there just has never developed a market for bamboo lumber, despite the low cost of the raw material. I suspect there is a reason, most likely it is just not economical.

I have seen bamboo floor tiles, it has the end grain up on the face of the tile, grain vertical. It is supposed to be durable this way, but there is no real advantage over conventional wood floor veneers. It is not cheaper to make than wood flooring panels, I think it is more of a novelty.

I have also seen soft fabric made from bamboo, it felt like cotton. they claimed it was more durable and breathed better for use as garments used in sports. but it also cost about twice as much as a good quality cotton tee shirt.

It might have a market if it was cheaper, or the same cost but has noticeable advantage in its properties over conventional materials.

14. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Depends on the processing machines. Bamboo grows fast and today's machines can slice & press it with no problem. The cost is quite competitive as well. The flat plies I have seen have the fibers running parallel to the application surface. Below is a reference that shows the machinery.

Don't knock it until you try it ;)

http://www.bambooindustry.com/blog/bamboo-flooring-factory-machine.html

15. bregalad

bregalad Senior Member

Perhaps this is a good place to mention the boat built of jute fibers.
    Here is a web site describing the building of the boat in Bangladesh and it's voyage to France
    http://tara-tari.blogspot.com/

It was then sold or given to a young lady named Capucine and she sailed it on to Martinique http://whereistaratari.blogspot.com/

Sadly, Google translate doesn't do justice to either of these french language sites. I wish they translated better. I'd like to know more ... Why so many apparently heavy stores are secured so high up in a tender boat? And why there are so many lines just lying about in a tangle? No proper place to put them?

I'm not endorsing this stuff. I do admire Capucine's attitude. She's tenacious, in a good way.
    [​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.