asymmetric spinnaker questions

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rapscallion, Apr 4, 2012.

1. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Michael multis don't roll...... I like the idea of making a furler, I'll be watching those vids....for deep running and broad reaching a flat symmetrical such as a star cut is handy for cruising, I'd skip the asymmetric on a multihull and then go to the code zero . I was surprised how much speed we added close reaching just hoisting a loose luff jib in front of the furler....now to get one with a wire luff...On a fast monohull I'd use the asymmetric..... Those quotes seem high to me too. I'd worry about waves with the seascape set up, having the chute on a furler like the weta makes a lot of sense on a course with lots of changes.

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I'm still waiting for Sailtech to get back to me and a few others. I mentioned the quote values to some of the other guys in the club at a meeting and nobody there thought they were unusual. Have you guys bought new sails lately? If so how much did they set you back?

3. cavalier mk2

I've found the best prices on used sails from boats sunk in hurricanes.....The most fun is the free sailcut software and a sewing machine from the 50s.... I'm not going back!

4. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

Sails are expensive. Generally I get quotes from everyone, and then freak out and swear and pace frantically around the house for a few days, then i get a quote from a place like rolley tasker that is less than half of the of the quantum sails quote and i feel better. Rolle y sails i have seen have been just as good as the sails i have seen from quantum or anyone else for that matter.

5. rapscallion

Im with CK though. My last big sail was for my laser 28. I designed it on sail cut cad and had a local spinnaker sew it together for me. The materials are about 15% of the price of the sail. A 4,000 main was made with about 450.00 worth of cloth.

6. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Go with Tasker

Yeah Corley - give Taskers a bell. A friend has a set for his 13.2 cat. Nice rags.

7. rapscallion

I found several home made furler designs on the internet. Many use pvc tubing. I suspect my spinnaker is cut rather flat, given the pictures i have seen, but i dont know. I might be able to add a hurling line to the sail's luff. I should probably fly it a few times before buying anything.

8. rapscallion

In the g32 promo video the spinnaker looks very flat. It looks like the apparrent wind is at the beam or forward of the beam when sailing down wind. Maybe a code zero hurling setup (with the furling chord fixed in the luff) would be the way to go.

Attached Files:

9. cavalier mk2

I've really found sewing sails theraputic, I'm always surprised that guys who will build a boat in complicated shapes out of space age goo won't put needle to cloth, if you make a mistake just pull out some stitches..... Put the treadle to the metal!

10. rapscallion

I have been on the lookout for a sewing machine that can get through 4 layers of 7oz dacron, i just havent found one yet for a price i want to pay. It was cheaper to have someone else do it than to buy the sewing machine!

I would love to get into sailmaking tho. I would make myself a new jib and screacher every year, out of very light laminate . I would also make a very light main.

I wish i knew what glue was used by the dimension polyant folks to glue laminate panels together. Im still working on that bit.

I agree with you, for the prices they charge for sails it is well worth the effort. A laminate jib and screacher for the g-32 is 3,000us. The materials for the sails is about 400US.

11. cavalier mk2

Look at old heavy duty zigzag machines like Husqavarna Viking etc....My old Morse is cast iron, while the motor could be larger I've used it on 8oz and it only set me back $ 50.

12. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Second the Husqavarna. We have had a 1960's one for sewing all manner of boat stuff for 6 years. Works great. Will go through anything, even bone. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.