Aluminum Wharram?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by New Dawn Fades, Jan 14, 2011.

1. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

Well, it is more modelled really, all main parts like hull sheets, bulkheads and beams are designed. The scantlings are done for plywood. Her length is 11.2 m, beam 6.6 m and fully loaded displacement approx. 5 tonnes. Hull shape is simple deep-V. Should easily fit in A-category (EU)

Bulding aluminium needs recalculation and some remodelling, but is doable.

Terho

2. david@boatsmith

david@boatsmith Senior Member

I would be happy to build you some Wharram hulls in aluminum. I am Wharram's US builder. David david@boatsmithfl.com

3. JCaprani

JCaprani Junior Member

Aluminium Wharram

Recently read the Wharram Design Book (6th ed. 2010). On page 17 under 'Other Building Materials' it reads: "For the fortunate few who understand aluminium construction or have access to experts, our designs are convertable..."

I'm a workshop intern at James Wharram Designs' home and studio in Devoran, Cornwall, UK. They are very friendly, helpful people and always interested to discuss ideas with their boatbuilders. Best times to call are 9.30-12.30 or 1.30-4.30 weekdays, you'll find their number in the phonebook at http://www.yell.com

4. New Dawn Fades

New Dawn Fades Junior Member

Thank you, I think I will buy a used Wharram around Florida pretty soon because time is short and used boats are cheap now I hear, and if there is time I may well build an aluminum one later. Perhaps even steel, as it is more bulletproof =)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.