Alternative to marvelous Buccaneer 24

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

I'm happy with everything on Sid; the flat rocker is easy to live with however tacking is a little tricky sometimes - but I like the easy speed, little drag in light winds - so I can live with that. The boat is great fun plus you have to be on your toes because it is quickly overpowered - but I like that aspect too.
    Although 8.5 x 8 metres, the boat is very, very small - and to 99% of people, that would be unacceptable, a boat that size yet only room for a singlehander.
    A selfish boat ... but there is room for a child sitting in the hatch to enjoy the ride.
    So what I'm saying, Three Devils would be a better boat for 2/3 crew.

2. santacruz58

santacruz58 Senior Member

The easy speed in light winds is apealling especially if those are the conditions that are most common when you like to sail. I don't understand when you say Sid is quickly over powered. What exactly is happening when this occurs? Does Sid go too fast or do you mean that the main hull is lifting too much, because with the lifting foils I would guess you are not burying the lee ama as a normal tri would?
    I understand the singlehander. Most of my sailing has been singlehand because I could never get anyone to go when I was sailing. They were always too busy or couldn't get away. I learned to handle the boat by myself.
    Three devils would be a better boat for me. I was curious on Sid you used 3mm ply. On three devils if I remember correctly you mentioned 4mm ply for it. How much stiffer is the 4mm over the 3mm when torturing. This weekend I am buying 4mm for my current project so I will see what it is like but have no experience with 3mm. I am almost tempted to buy a sheet of 3mm just to see what it is like.
    nelson

3. Gary Baigent

When I say overpowered I'm talking about loads rocketing up as you accelerate, double, triple and also instantly; you can feel the boat is under real pressure - and I'm careful of that since I built the bloody thing ... and know how light the construction is.
    Sid needs to be reefed in above 12-13 knots wind - and then you can feel the equilibrium is right; boat doesn't feel like it's going to explode ... and you sail very, very fast without the neurotic pain. So far never tripped and buried the lee float and foil - but at times, lugging too much sail upwind into steep tidal waves, have worried about the health of the main beam.
    Sid's hull is 3mm because I had to get the complex curves into the shape, then glass or carbon laminations to lock it. Proposed 3 Devils has a less tortured main hull/platform, is a slightly larger boat, hence the 4mm.

4. santacruz58

Yes, I understand now. Sid is very lightly built. I am still trying to wrap my brain around what the boat will do sailing down a big ocean swell at 20 knots with the wind on the stern quarter . I guess because there is no long ama to dig in and the foil is keeping what little ama there is above water it is only the main hull you have to worry about. In Sids case I am guessing a very wet ride. In some of those photos you are wearing rubber booties.
    I bought my plywood for my sailing dingy. 4mm and 9mm okuome. I got a sheet of 3mm okuome just to play with to see what it will do. It is very flexable, like a wet noodle. Will do some test epoxy fillets because I have been out of boat building for 10 years and have forgotten what fillers to use.
    I have started to actively look for a complete farrier trailertri on the east coast. I say complete because there are 2 that need finishing within driving distance of me at present. I think it would be an excellent boat to play with to learn more about sailing trimarans. I have wanted to build a wing mast for a long time. I also think the trailertri would be an excellent candidate for lifting foils as the amas are under size by todays standards and from what I have read the beams are over built and will most likely take the extra load from the foils. Pretty much what you and Jaques have beem doing with his.
    I hope you don,t mind some of my boring questions and getting off topic a bit.
    PS. I keep an early construction photo of Sid as a screen saver and everytime I turn the computor on I think, WOW what a fasinating boat.
    At one time I had 3 boats but it was too much looking after them all on moorings. I can see my self with 3 again. But this time I will keep them all safe at home and use them when I want.
    nelson

5. Gary Baigent

My foil boats don't fly anywhere near as high proportionately to say, an AC72, really just skim a little above the water and downwind in fresh winds, the foil ride is like the boat is solid; that's the impression you get sailing fast with the foil working; It is like you have huge floats out there yet in reality, there is that small volume lee float and tiny looking foil. Of course if you're carrying way too much sail, then I'm sure you will trip ... but so far ... touch epoxy coated plywood.
    The thing about ultra-light boats: you don't need a huge amount of sail to travel fast.
    You might be interested in Jacques modified to hell Farrier 24/27; today we put a vertical bow on it and then glued foam to increase buoyancy up front (to equalize the stern extension) - will be glassed in a couple of days ... and then he's going to fit the L foils to the float daggers ... and then Flash Harry's old wing mast.

6. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Modifications

Gary, when you add foam to the outside of a boat, how do you actually do it? As in what sort/density of foam, how do you attach it and how do you glass over it and keep the addition watertight?
    Bruce

7. Gary Baigent

Hi Bruce, we belt sanded the antifouling and some paint areas to a rough surface, cut the blue polystyrene foam (guessing, about 50 density; we got it at reduced price, small batch left in the warehouse) into strips and blocks, mixed a sticky epoxy/lightweight filler mix, coated both hull and styrene sides and stuck it on. Propped tight with sticks jammed into the hard sand and into the foam (tends to slip until cured). The summer weather is hot here so that is quick. Yesterday we hand sawed and long boarded the area to shape, then filled the gaps. Today we'll finish it off and maybe start glassing over: glassing is straight forward, no problems there, just basic 6oz box weave, nothing exotic. The waterline remains quite fine but there is a swelling a la Lock Crowther/type bow, below. Should be interesting to see how it works. I am supremely confident, ha ha.
    After all it is the same process and material I used years ago on the stern extension and that is still in perfect and fair condition. Even Ian Farrier would be impressed!

8. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

too bad spray type foam isn't really buoyant, although it does stick to anything! If it were I would think it'd be easy to scuff,spray, shape then bag glass in place. Would allow quick mods.

Barry

9. Gary Baigent

Here you are Bruce; low tech construction on the beach.

Attached Files:

10. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

High Tech?

Thanks Gary, that looks extremely high tech :rolleyes: and tempting :cool:
    Bruce

11. santacruz58

Pretty neat looking. I have seen quite a few trailertris with the stern extended but this the first bow mod I have seen. I cant wait to hear reports on how she sails.
    nelson

12. Gary Baigent

Shifty afloat early this morning, Jacques' proud photograph, bow certainly is floating higher than before - but maybe that's because of one of those accursed tyres we've towed about the harbour, unnoticed before? Meaning the boat is probably still sitting on it. We'll be sanding and filling when the tide drops, maybe even get some glass on.

Attached Files:

13. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who works on tides...

Attached Files:

14. Gary Baigent

Looks like home to me, Cav. Except we have gloriously flowering red pohutukawas instead of pine. Those Nicols do have an attractive fore and aft profile.

15. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Rainy and winter here now Gary, nothing red let alone flowering till spring though green slime does well. This time of year I always start planning on how to keep a boat n the southern hemisphere.....ps. looks more chunky from the side, there isn't much slicing through it....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.