Alternative to marvelous Buccaneer 24

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Nick Tesla? That is too much OS7 - he was the real deal genius; I'm just an arty farty ******.

2. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Lol Gary. Never run yourself down, there are always plenty of people just waiting to do it for you. :rolleyes:

3. Gary Baigent

Fooling around with a Nikonos diving camera; here's Sid's new mast (those are black swans in the middle distance, also Sid) - and one of Eric E (a Weta proponent, has 2 or 3 in different countries) - but now has bought a heavy displacement old mono, poor devil) anyway here he is in my old, narrow, 20 foot SOT (which I paddled around Great Barrier Island).
    Got broken in half in one storm, epoxy is wonderful stuff.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  4. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Paint?

Gary, what sort of paint do you use on your masts and boats?
    B

5. Gary Baigent

Altex Marine, one and two pot ... sometimes even Dulux house paint. These may be local NZ paints and not obtainable overseas.

6. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Pretty

They surely look nice in the photos. Just wondered. Thanks
    B

7. Gary Baigent

Have built these two ogival cross section float/foils (also rudder and daggerboard and cases) for an old time Auckland sailor (79 years) who wants to sail fast (frighten himself) on a foiler - so the foils (segment of semi-circle on lifting side, flat to leeward) fine at bottom, buoyant up high will hopefully do the job; KISS principle. The leading edges are softened to a curve, trailing edges sharp as per semi-circle. They will have 45 degree cant with 3-5 degrees AoA, probably the latter ... for safety! Platform will be 24 feet main hull (one of my kayaks, a double with cockpits removed) by 16 feet or so; depends what aluminum lengths he's got in his overflowing basement. Rig will be maybe a cut down A Class - or something similar.
    Years ago I sailed on Noel Fuller's 12 x 12 foot Sabrina with same shaped float/foils. There was an article in an old AYRS about the little boat. Noel sailed it from Auckland to Bay of Islands. Good effort. This boat was before the similar concept Holtom Foiler from the UK arrived.

Attached Files:

8. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Great thread, been pouring through it last few days start to finish. Love the get off your duff and just do it approach! I would kill to see a how to on the fuse fold up alone! Would love to see that approach in the buccaneer alternative(or mod) design. Might need a bit more length scarfed on but it seems not far from being a natural leaning seat built in if it were drawn back a bit more. Or maybe less material just a extended flip up of flair that catches a rail that net can fill in middle of.

Barry

9. Gary Baigent

You're a hopeless enthusiast, Marmoset ... but yes, you could build a B24 with fold up, tensioned ply ... but then, it wouldn't be a B24 anymore.
    But for a start, there is too much rocker in the Crowther; OS7 disagrees but you need a hull with little rocker to use this method.
    But there is a way to get an equivalent (meaning round bilge sort of B24 version) and that is to strip plank it in foam, light wood, cedar, balsa (above WL) or even scarfed ply, then sheath with glass or box weave carbon - the latter if you want a very light but stiff structure.
    Actually the two beam version of Sid, 3 Devils would be a better boat (more room, moderate flare (and that is spread over more hull length)- kind of a breathed on B24 and easier to build using whatever listed method you like.

Attached Files:

10. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

"You're a hopeless enthusiast, Marmoset"

Story of my life! But yeah completely immersed and enamored, and this place is a candy storefront the likes of me.

Ideas definitely more suited to its own entity, than a morphed bucc. Apples and oranges to me, each there own as it should be. Wood would definitely be "my" medium of choice, it's what I know, and can make it darn near dance sometimes. Sid is perfect as it sits just the right size and shape for the task, perfect tool for wing mast experimenting as well, make plans for that, I'll be first in line. Or sell me the napkin it's on! Lol

Barry

11. Gary Baigent

Help yourself to the napkins, ha - but if you're building in bent ply, then you've got limitations in the beam to length, also keel line rocker; the design has to be sort of narrow tube thing, because it is too difficult to get a fat buoyant hull shape ... because your thin gauge, like 4mm or less ply, will rip and snap because of too much distortion. And thicker stuff won't bend. Hence Lock Crowther's flat chine design with the B24, B28, B33 - a sensible solution. So although we can all draw sweet looking plans, reality, when you bend wood, dictates a shape that you can't really change very much; you're stuck in a narrow range. But that is fine if you want a fast hull ... and then you add foils.
    Cheers.

12. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

We'll yeah, that's why ply makes a good structural sheering material! (When framed of course) even pre training only gets me so far, and I've been known to erect a poor mans steam box on jobs sites before. I'll usually take some sono tube with heat lamps in it and wet towels inside, then few holes punched in, and drape ply across with bungee tension for a week or so. And always over bend so your unbending in final. And I naturally bend short way cause long is the free way( not really free but you know the deal) although rarely am I going compound like this, that's the real kicker, not the bends alone, it's the compound bends in same panel. I grew up bending guitars sides, but there not compound!

Barry

13. Gary Baigent

Sid patiently waiting for the new wing mast to go up - which should be soon as the high wind and storms seem to have eased off.

Attached Files:

14. basil

basil Senior Member

15. Gary Baigent

Jacques wanted to test the restocked rudders on his very much altered Farrier 24 to 27 so we left in an increasing North westerly to give them a good workout (it is going to blow savagely in the next few days) and found the boat handled somewhat weirdly but pressed on. At times it felt okay but sluggish but in increasing gusts to 25 knots, boat seemed to improve but steering was a battle, having to play the sails because of weather helm, boat wanting to round up. But we persisted and after a couple of hours with more hard gusts arriving, came home to Motions creek. Jacques jumped in to pick up the mooring in the shallow bay .... and I heard him say, "You'll never guess."
    You see Shifty dries out with the tides and .... you guessed it (and I did immediately too) Jacques had forgotten to undo one of the four tyres, the one that supported the main hull bow .... and so we'd dragged that bloody thing all around the Waitemata.
    Strangely the boat had gone quite quickly at times; I guess because the speed was enough to skip the tyre on the surface. But no wonder control had been a mission. You can only laugh!

ps: Looking at the photograph, you can see the ugly disturbed wake starboard of Jacques - silly old farters?

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.