Alternative to marvelous Buccaneer 24

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Yeah, no, well, Rayman - you can be a prissy academic itellechool smart arse wanting to show up yer backward Kaiwai cuzzies - but my Dad taught me to say chooks for the whole damned fowl run, none of this plural chook'ns rubbish.
    ps: just joking in case of Northern Hemisphere misinterpretation of colonials from the Southern Antipodes.

2. rayman

rayman Senior Member

GAZZA, As I was born in the shadow of Ruapekapeka pa and within sight of the treaty house at waitangi with both parents from 3rd gen. Parua Bay mobs I think I can agree with you as regards correct kiwi speak whatever that may be. tatu tatu

3. Gary Baigent

hey Rayman, I lived at Russell and Rawhiti working and diving from fishing boats for a few years, also a few months at Matauri Bay in the Cavallis fishing with the Apiatas - long time ago. Marvelous sea and landscape up there. But originally I'm a Nelson boy; family were timber millers.

4. Gary Baigent

Would that this would have worked, ha?
    Maybe I need a minder to inform me when I'm going insane.
    This failure from early last year. But now have completed the I beam and frames, luff and leech stringers, repaired the old mast base, for the replacement wing mast.
    Also obtained sketches from a movie camera rigging expert (like very high wires for sport filming) on his ideas of lifting and lowering wing mast (maybe full wing?) no, no - but maybe? - that can be achieved solo. Actually pretty close to my own sketches. It can/shall be done.

Attached Files:

5. Gary Baigent

Not a bad view to occasionally contemplate while assembling the second wing mast for Sid - although I'm certain I've posted this deja vu image before - but hopefully this mast will be a better, stronger one than the original that shattered in the recent cyclone.

Attached Files:

6. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

The hope of which you so heroically speak is based on smarter construction of the new mast or the recently improved Auckland weather prediction model and your by now legendary skillfulness in raising and lowering wing masts ?

7. warwick

warwick Senior Member

I am wondering how things are going with Sid Gary? getting closer to sailing again.

8. Gary Baigent

Almost finished the wing mast, repaired the mast base on Sid's beam (got ripped open when mast came down) fixed a few holes nearby and rebuilt the long tapering transom (which also got smashed off by broken mast).
    Plus my new North sails are ready; getting impatient.

9. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Good luck once you have caught up Gary

10. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Gary how have you got on with this latest bout of bad weather? I hope you have no further damage to deal with.

11. Gary Baigent

Thanks for the concern, Warwick but my boats are okay. Have finished and painted the new wing mast (mostly black, some grey and red) for Sid but have to wait for this fairly extreme weather to go away before I lift it.

12. Gary Baigent

Since the weather is so crap here, found this 1980's summer print of a madman building an inclining rig for a certain old trimaran foiler on the beach; it semi worked when completed but ended up too heavy and pinged the carbon reinforcing off the central mast ... so couldn't get it to 45 degrees. In the end I broke it up and buried the pieces in a hole but saved the leading D section and built a conventional wing mast for Jacques' 24 foot Jim Young catamaran Bisou ... which is still alive, I think.
    ps: I'm not naked; faded, unwashed jocks are almost camouflage.

Attached Files:

13. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Great pic Gary.
    The structure of that wing is very intricate. Looked light though. Pity it got wrecked. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  14. Gary Baigent

Yes OS7, the thin glass/epoxy skin and frames, stringers were light enough but ended up too weak and indented so I ripped skin off and recovered with thin foam/glass ... and that is what ended up adding weight. Hoisting the wing was tricky because the central mast stays had to be left loose until the wing was up near the hounds; then tightened but by that time the carbon was popping. Nevertheless I sailed the boat a few times with the wing at around 30 degrees ... and there you could feel the definite lift set at that angle but also felt like the wing was slipping, spilling wind. So fail, into the rubbish pit most of it went.
    Still think the concept could work, built light and so on ... but after two attempts ... nah, will swallow my losses.

15. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Still think the concept could work, built light and so on ... but after two attempts ... nah, will swallow my losses.

Thats how advances in technology work. Two steps forward,one step back.
    Just ask Nicola Tesler. :rolleyes:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.