Alternative to marvelous Buccaneer 24

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Thanks Groper; I've posted the Skimmer on the sailboats thread, under Cox's Bay Skimmer ... Doug started it. Only a short sequence; will make them longer in future

2. Gary Baigent

Built a 2.4 metre dinghy tender for a Waiheke woman launch owner - HAD to be light (15 kgs - tried me best) because she is of small stature ... so built in tensioned 2.7mm bendy ply for hull and main seat, two layers laminated for after seat, 2 coats of epoxy, some glass reinforcement. Tensioning ply on a fat little dinghy, you have to make two tucks forward, glass, fill sand to fair.
    We've just suffered a savage cyclone here; remains of Sid's mast base on the saw bench at right. No problem - will build another mast in a week. The black Skimmer was moored in same area, it survived but one spanner got torn apart, mast flapping wildy in wind and waves, lee shore. Groucho's mast was lowered earlier so no problem there. Have to make a lowering arrangement for Sid's mast to do same. I've said this before ... but never learn.
    Check out our pet chook keeping me company, far left, lower.
    Tidy, ultra clean workshop, eh Doug?

Attached Files:

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=============
    Gary, are the ends of that seat curved up? Looks neat.... How can you keep it so.....clean?! A good mess goes a long way......
    Were a lot of other boats damaged? Getting closer to our Season of the Storm-I've got a bad feeling about this year... Whats a chook?

4. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Gary, Sorry we sent you that cyclone, ;)
    It savaged our North East , moved down the coast, missed Sydney as it turned out to sea and then visited you. :eek:

5. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Nice Dingy

Light is wonderful :cool:
    B

6. Tom.151

Tom.151 Best boat so far? Crowther Twiggy (32')

Gary,

I've been following many of your projects for lots of years - thanks for all of your contributions! You think it then you build it. I think of you as Gary "BigBalls" Baigent - because that's what it takes to do what you do.

Further to Bruce's ideas above... it may serve well to transfer the 'problem' of folding up the two main pieces by transferring work of doing that process from the boat to the trailer and related gear.

Instead of building a turret into the boat's structure, make it a simpler bolt together join-up as BruceB suggests. Then to dis/assemble the two pieces you add a lifting rig/tripod apparatus that stands on on the ground using 3 stilts.You could get 90 degrees of rotation by placing one leg behind the outboard end of the stbd beam , another stilt just to stbd of the transom, and the the third in the quadrant ahead of the cross-beam and to port of the main hull bow. The tripod could be made of crude, cheap materials and demountable to store on the trailer.

One other aspect (on a cruising boat I was sketching for myself) would be to get all of the living/nav space into the beam in a way that it would be easier (and less critical) to get everything sealed against the weather that could penetrate the mating joinery. Any bow or stern compartments (maybe even a separate head area) also need to be isolated from the joining area against flooding (access provided through deck hatches) as any even minor leakage could be problematic over the long sailing distances I was planning.

My 7 cents,
    TomH

7. gypsy28

gypsy28 Senior Member

For the benefit of Doug and our other northern hemisphere friends, a "chook" is a Aussie/Kiwi mixture of a Chicken and a Duck, fed on seafood only, hence their unique taste (considered the Tuna of the land) Very rare these days due to global warming, and epoxy poisioning :D

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==========
    Thanks Dave-all I saw in the picture was a dark mass-couldn't make heads or tails of it.....

9. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

ROFLMAO ! :D

10. Gary Baigent

Shucks Tom, don't praise me, ar's just a Kiwi country boy.
    You and Bruce are correct, bolting is the simplest way of connecting beam/floats. The Sid beam turned out to be 46 kgs, each float around 10 kgs, foils (forgot to weigh them) but very light - so no problem shifting then around. You're referring to early Sid days and retrospectively, the turret idea was impractical and a bit mad.
    Gypsy, no way could we eat our chook, part of the family, spoiled rotten on the very best foods a chook could require. Actually in Kiwi vernacular, chook simply means hen.
    Tom, accommodation in beam would mean a shape like Newick but really only large enough for bunks on my dreamy 10 x 10 metre tri. On 57 foot Sundreamer David Barker had large diameter circular beams; you could crawl through the main one from hull to hull - but only enough room for bunks. So what I'm saying, the boat would have to be a monster to gain headroom.

11. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

TOMH.
    I was in New Zealand in Oct 1977 and witnessed a 60 ft Catamaran ready to be launched, which had it's accomodations in the huge oval sectioned cross arm beams. I can't remember the name of the builder or the name of the boat, but perhaps some of you NZ chaps can. :cool:

12. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Thanks Gary. You beat me by seconds. :p Yes it was David Barker, and it WAS a monster. :)

13. groper

groper Senior Member

Gary,
    That damn cyclone passed over my place about 2 weeks ago, hard to believe it made it all the way down there... Good weather warnings these days tho, we had about 4 days notice and time to prepare so minimal damage done up here...

Still waiting for a video of one of your boats sailing in stiffer winds :)

14. Gary Baigent

We had plenty of warning too, Groper - and I shoulda/coulda shifted Sid to the far Eastern corner of the bay (have a mooring there) - but thought she'd be right - and was wrong. I think you blokes in Queensland had it worse than us but it was savage enough here, 140kph gusts. Actually expected to see lightweight Sid (230kgs) inverted at dawn.
    Mast is nothing, will build a better one starting this week.
    Yes, fresh wind sailing, was flying a couple of weekends ago, fastest I've ever been - but too busy concentrating to take out Gopro. And my new flash North main and reacher will be ready about the same time I finish mast. Cheers.

15. rayman

rayman Senior Member

"chook" is singular for an adult chicken, plural is "chook'ns"
    e.g. "I'm going to feed the chook'ns"

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.