Alternative to marvelous Buccaneer 24

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Sorry to hear about the damage Gary. I'm reminded of the Hydroptere video "such is the lot of pioneers".

2. warwick

warwick Senior Member

I saw similarities to Vesta sail rockets rig earlier in your post with photos, with Vesta sail rocket there is a extension extending out from the base of it mast that also provides lift.

lets just hope you can get to enjoy your work innovation and at some point its full potential.

3. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

Hmmm,

Sorry to hear the wing broke.
    Still It sounds like more of a storage- than a sailing-problem.
    There should be a way to solve that.

Hmmm, again

Cheers

4. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Um....I'd say "Not surprised you bumpkin! When Mother Nature reefs she doesn't use square Knots!" Of course this isn't a time for ill considered humor but for contemplation of lots of future possibilities.....sorry Gary, have a pint and all that.

5. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Do you think having a more rigid support at the ends of the mast/sail may have helped, it may have reduced the bending pressure on it.

May be you could look into the lay out again if the storage as Hasyb mentioned can be sorted out. Was it a single point load failure, may spreading the support area may help by using the ends, as well as the center bearing?

I still look forward to see it sailing in the future as I think most on the forum do.

6. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

Some more antipodal evaluating questions/considerations/mutter before you breakdown the wing.
    I still think of a more easy way to hoist/lower the wing with the mast standing might be a way to go: you spoke earlier of a too heavy wing you build with a hoisting/pivoting slot in the equilibrium of the wing.
    If you take a look at the already classic picture charming Carol took, you see the ends of the wing sag a bit (also what Warwick remark); would a hypothetical rebuild/next wing need some rigging with some small spreaders?
    Just thinking; was there enough momentum in the front of the wing to keep angle in the preferred position?
    Looking at the pictures it looks as if the wing when sailing would like to have the possibility of a more steep angle.

More marvelous ingenious sequels.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  7. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Would it be possible to set up a couple spinnaker poles to support the ends and control movement (Lift or Sag) when mooring, to keep the ends stable as well as the middle.
    You could clip them onto either end of the mast then down to the cross beam afterwards. Its just an idea as it sounds to me, it may have been a single point loading.

8. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Thanks for all the good suggestions.
    Yes, well, if you delve into dangerous areas, you know the results can be disastrous. So after the blow it was nothing I didn't expect.
    But I've had enough of that sort of sail/rig design for the time being - but Jim Young wants me to continue the pivoting wing since it was so close to being successful. In retrospect, I Should have put some dihedral in it with a brace across the top, or a half spreader setup. That was the major mistake.
    However I can salvage the leading long D edge and turn it into a conventional wing mast with soft sail and now that the wind and rain has dropped, I'll go down to the bay with a saw and large canvas bag to clean up.
    Cheers.

9. Gary Baigent

Sid's wing wasn't the only nearby damage, (there was plenty throughout Auckland area) Ian's Pied Piper, a Des Townson 22 foot big NZ dinghy with keel, fractional rig, designed in the early 1960's) broke its swing mooring in the blow and came ashore ending up, after frantic long warp attachments to far out buoys, on its side, keel buried in mud and papa rock, bent rudder - so have been helping him dig it out and shift it to Okahu Bay for haulout and repair.
    However have removed from Sid's broken wing all the wing frames and shattered skin, cut away the leading D frames and I beam ... this for a "conventional" wing mast/soft sail. Here is the drawing: 11.5m x 500mm x 154mm, sail 11.5 x 2m, approximate SA 25-26m2 ... which will be plenty for a solo crew on a light platform.
    However Jim Young has been bending my ear to reconsider another inclining wing, but two of them, with central masts around 3 metres tall ... but I protest that Sid with a single beam is the wrong platform for that, would be better with a two beam tri, or a cat. Anyway he's going to do some drawings. The advantages would be a more stable and stronger rig, even more sail area, lower centre of gravity ... and so on.

Attached Files:

10. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

Well I guess building a "conventional" wing mast doesn't necessarily shut off the possibility to also build the wing-wing version, or even a development from experience wing for that matter.
    Is the surface of the mast included in the SA?
    Stlll sorry to not have seen Sid fly.

Cheers

11. Gary Baigent

Hi Hasyb, Sid will still fly ... but will look more "normal".
    Yes, surface includes wing mast area.
    Since the stern deck swoops down, I'll have to sheet the boom near the middle section, on a semi-circular track set above the tiller, in the flatter part of the cockpit.
    Have cut and epoxied the frames and the mast spanner, need to get the I beam sorted this week ... summer is coming.

12. basil

basil Senior Member

G'day Gary,

A thought - what about using your "D" section and short mast you currently have - run a sail track up the back edge - make a soft sail the same dimensions of your solid wing asymmetric - full length battens with control lines/solid strips that go from the leech of each batten to your "D" beam. This type of setup would allow you reef/hoist and most importantly remove when not wanted. Haven't even thought about the practicalities of all of this but looks good on the sketch I've just drawn.

Regards

Tony

13. Gary Baigent

Good thoughts, Basil. I've mulled over exactly that setup a number of times ... but, you have two sails and two sets of battens, plus you need air introduction pressure to keep the two surfaces apart and retain a smooth foil shape; then you have two tracks up the back of the D section - all this means weight and complication ... and I'm very much against weight (probably to my detriment).
    What I'll do is set up the conventional wing mast/soft sail rig and get Sid sailing - because it will be a fun boat to sail/fly - and then reconsider the rigid or semi-rigid wing rig later. If there is a way, there is a way.

14. Gary Baigent

Kiwi traditional boat building under the pohutukawas; Sid's wing mast being glued/clamped. Few alterations to Sid, curved main sheet track and a few other things.
    For you OS7, marvelous Buccaneer 24 (actually stretched to 27), yellow all over - note Ed Horstmann tri in distance - at Cox's Bay.

Attached Files:

15. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Thanks Gary for the update.

As with a lot of us on the forum I am looking forward to how things go when you finally get to go sailing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.