Alternative to marvelous Buccaneer 24

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

You dont have to pay for moorings over there? Count yourselves lucky, when I had a double ended mooring installed in Westernport Bay to take my Formula 40 trimaran project. It cost me $1500.00 plus $220 each year for the parks charge and the mooring being dived on to check it's not damaging the seabed.

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

I've been paying fees for five years. The difference with us is that the area is tidal, dries out and the boats float for 2-3 hours at and near full tide; the rest of the time we're on the hard - so not as convenient as usual swing moorings.

3. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

4. Gary Baigent

Thanks Hasyb, excellent stuff. I have some material on Tom Bakker's cat but this is very interesting, especially about the turning moments when rig balance is out of place, hence the large rudders. There will be a steep learning curve for me. Looking at the photographs, I think a trimaran platform is the better one for mounting rig and controls; the central main hull as a base makes it easier.
    I was hoping to shift the wing ... today ... but the weather is crap at the moment, had a cloudburst and buffeting winds at 2am this morning. Also I think Jacques (who has suitable utility and trailer) has snuck off to London to swan around watching the Olympics.
    Anyway the shift will be soon. Thanks again for the information. Cheers.

5. Gary Baigent

Although this looks like very little, little do you know that this very little, was not little, that is, shifting Sid's wing from the back yard around the tight corners of the house; a tricky job, requiring some, at times, quite brutal tree pruning.
    Next is to get wing to Cox's bay, on wheels, through the park to David Armstrong's house on the waters edge; the only place with decent access; (mostly there are high concrete walls or steep steps down, or too tight corners to get around) then I'll bring Sid round from Motions Creek ... and make the creation one unit. But not today, wind coming with rain. Could see the wing taking off into the sky when halfway across the park fields. Thing generates lots of power.

Attached Files:

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Hope it goes well, Gary!

7. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Gooday & your wing also mate. Take care - Please give us the dimensions again:

How high (long) is it ???
    How thick is it & how far back (&/or what foil number) ???
    How long (from front to back) is it ???
    How much does it weigh ???
    How far up or down is the 'hound' attachment point ???
    How much does it taper - from top to bottom - if any ???
    How much sail area & is ther any soft sail off the back - or a 'fowler' foil out the front ??? if not - why not ???

Please take special note of the 'concave' scollops in K1's wing - they are there - for a purpose & it is intentional - not an accident.

Sorry you've got such lousy weather - especially when it's so important - to all of us - that you get on with it & go sailing - ! ! YES YES

My very best wishes, ciao, james

8. Gary Baigent

It's a wingmill rig, James, a canting rig, so there are no hounds, just a double pivoting bearing at the half distance point, set back from the leading edge. There is a 4.3 metre short mast that connects to the bearing and that has 3 point staying, with hounds down a couple of hand spans from top.
    Wing is asymmetric at 11.5 metres long x 1.5 m chord x 170mm thick, around 8% thickness/chord ratio - (there will be a 0.5m twist-able flap added later ... if the contraption works?), no taper, weighs 60kgs, SA for leading element around 17m2, flap would add another 5-6m2. I have thought of a leading edge canard ... but too hard and complex at this stage. Just want to see if the basic thing works - and that I can handle it.
    Because it is asymmetric in cross section shape, there is a concave shape at the lower trailing edge.

9. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Thats about as inconspicuous as having a Pitts Special going through the front yard.....good luck, I like those kind of challenges.

10. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

Successful trails Gary.
    I'm very curious about the sailing.

Good luck.

11. Gary Baigent

Just back from shifting Sid round to Cox's Bay (fresh Westerly so the rig-less boat sailed on its own, lowered the rudder halfway, (shallow water with oyster covered reefs) steered with paddle. The wing lies flat on Armstrong's terrace near the waters edge - but the forecast is not good, high winds and rain, so will have to wait 4 days before we can lift the rig onto Sid. Needs to be quiet - otherwise I can foresee the wing taking to the heavens like a no control kite, me hanging onto ropes.
    Actually OS7, Sid is parked very close to the marvelous B24 Miranda - I'll post a photograph when the weather clears.

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Sid

Good luck, Gary!

13. cavalier mk2

Do you have a quick release for the rig? A sea anchor would keep it from going too far without adding much weight. A good dry suit and old fashioned bailout would work too. With a camera attached you could shoot pictures of the ascent.....have fun but watch the weather. If you need expendable ballast invite one of the evil landowners from the old moorage....

14. Gary Baigent

Just superb advice, Cav, I'll implement all immediately.

15. cavalier mk2

Those people are evil Gary, If you add up the time they spent moving you all over the place and dealing with the red tape you'll see where your test window moved from the gentle winds of summer....I like the para style sea anchor for enough anti-flight area.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.