Alternative to marvelous Buccaneer 24

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

I should post a jpeg but my Canon D is still out - so shooting with EOS1 film and then images to CD - so takes a few days. Here's an earlier shot of small floats. The J foils go through just under the wing beam leading edge. Yes, Doug, the vertical foil area is at 3 degrees toe in and the complete foil is also raked forward 3 degrees, actually more like 4, so the curved area is at that figure. They are fixed but later, considering a flap on the curved J area. But first I want to see how it performs as is, and pretty confident everything will work okay. Long way to go - especially with the rig. That is going to take some time. Maybe I'll use Flash Harry's old rig as a fill in just to get moving.

Attached Files:

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

================
    Thanks, Gary. One hell of an exciting boat! Best of luck-good idea using the
    rig you have. That'll allow you to sort everything- then you can play with a new rig. Besides, I'll get to see pictures sailing sooner!

3. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

Gary,
    The boat looks like a secret Russian fighter jet! I love it! Please post more pics when you can. I would love to see them.

4. captainsideburn

captainsideburn Junior Member

this is looking more awesome everytime you post a pic, I want one :p

BTW why the curved bows on the amas as opposed to the reverse bow on the main hull?

5. Gary Baigent

Captn. just a bit of arty wankiness; I sketched the floats with wave piercers and the proportions just looked wrong (reverse bows look better on long rather then short floats, IMO) so changed to the rounds, similar to what I did on my rowing skiff ... which I quite like.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Looking better all the time. Do I see flat sections aft on the floats? Better not use the "P" word in regards to trimarans hehe:p

7. Gary Baigent

Looks that way Dennis, because of the cutaway retrouse deck to transom - but no, the after sections are oval to round. Heh, Heh!! good try though mate.

8. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

9. Samnz

Samnz Senior Member

nice work Gary.

Could you antifoul one side of the wing and just leave it lying in the water with some weights to stop it blowing away when its windy?

10. Gary Baigent

LoL. Excellent suggestion, Sam. Actually, and I'll post my strange ideas later, one crazy thought was to lower the after element/elements on a pivoting base bearing, ... and put a specially designed little boat under the laid flat wing head/peak ... therefore you wouldn't need antifouling. Course you'd have to lash the lowered wing so that the quadramaran didn't swing about. Laughs. The easier solution would be to lift the element free and place it on special racks across the boat's 8 metre beam.

11. Gary Baigent

Complete platform sans wing rig: main hull, wing beam, floats, foils and cases, rudder and tiller attachments comes to 147 kgs. I under guessed the main hull weight, thought it was lighter than the beam but it's 70 kgs. Allow another 10-15 kgs for small cabin and epoxy/carbon connection laminates ... so around 165 kgs. Can I build a 11.5 m wing for less than 75 kgs? ... probably not but going ahead anyway.

12. Samnz

Samnz Senior Member

its not a question of can you build it that light, its a question of whether it will hold together if you do....

will you bring this on out racing Gary? id love to see it in action!

13. Gary Baigent

Yeah, well, Sam - I'm not intending for Sid to fold up or the rig to come down ... but it could happen of course... however I'll push on building as light and as strong as I can. I've no worries about the platform (having done similar construction before) but the wing rig is new territory. Sure, Sid, when completed, a few months to go yet, will come out and pace you.

14. Gary Baigent

Shifting Sid. Plus wing rig, open and folded.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Sid

Congratulations, Gary! Damn good looking boat! When do you think you'll sail?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.