Alternative to marvelous Buccaneer 24

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

This kid is not so young Chris, well he is compared to his Dad and to me - but he's a race biker pouring money into blueprinting and tuning the engine (and forks, brakes, fairings etc) of his strung out Honda 600 - so he likes that sort of stuff and Harry, although getting old, can still perform okay, so he'll like that. There are some Harry idiosyncrasies to learn; he'll quickly figure them out. But he's not getting Harrry until I finish Sid.

2. Gary Baigent

Vicious Sid today - in a spell of superb winter weather, tomorrow should be interesting when the top unattached sections get bent to the gunwales.

Attached Files:

3. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

You do nice work Gary! Has the winter been colder/wetter than usual? We had a cool wet winter spring that only warmed up a couple of weeks ago. From 60-90 Fahrenheit in days...

4. Gary Baigent

Hasn't been cold Cav, although we've had heaps of rain and wind but the last few days have been electric blue skies and sunshine, temperatures around 11 to 14 degrees Celsius.

5. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

The rain and wind we had...now that it is summer I'm using a field for a sail loft and modifing some old/new sails and repairing the others.

6. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Jeeez Gary thats a **** load of work since I was there 3 days ago, Lookin real good.

7. Samnz

Samnz Senior Member

Wow Gary that looks amazing, cant believe the shapes you pull out of the ply.

All iv been doin in building my cabin, kind of like a an upside down boat really, and not small either (4.5m x 1.8m x .5m)

trying to keep it light tho 300gmCDB inside 15mm h80 foam should work ok...

not sure what to put on the outside, got some 600gm DB glass but its kind of heavy, but then people will walk on it... maybe a 300gm CDB with a 200gm kelvar boat cloth? a bit lighter and a bit gruntier but expensive...

What thickness is your ply and what glass you putting on it?

Attached Files:

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

--------------
    Impressive, Mr. Baigent!

9. Gary Baigent

Sam, just work out where the heavy footed clumping and staggering crew are likely to walk and lay some carbon in that area - the rest can be just minimal glass, just imo.

10. Samnz

Samnz Senior Member

Um problem is depending on how drunk they are it could be anywhere.... Its more likely to get damaged in the New Years raft up than sailing!

11. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

sons and ply

Gary, my son (and best crew) has joined our Peace Corps and is now in Malawi, Africa, for the next two years- so Sid is looking better all the time. What kind and thickness ply and layup are you using? I like the progress. Bruce

12. Gary Baigent

Bruce, Didn't Paul Theroux do a similar thing in the '60's in Malawi? Good to hear the tradition continues.
    El Sid is 3mm gaboon, there'll be mostly 6oz box weave glass sheathing and uni directional carbon in high load areas.
    Sid today, heavy rain for the last few days has slowed building.

Attached Files:

13. captainsideburn

captainsideburn Junior Member

ooh, looking good

14. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

progress

Thanks Gary, Sid is looking great, the ply seems to have taken to the extreme? curves very well. The Peace Corps tradition does continue. My son is a "writer", but the output remains to be seen:) I think he is happy there so I have high hopes. Bruce

15. gypsy28

gypsy28 Senior Member

Its hard to believe its ply, it is a really sexy looking hull shape, well done

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.