Alternative or Easy To Build Multihull?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Sundevil, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Sundevil

Sundevil Junior Member

This is definitely the craziest hull design I have seen recently, but it was successful in sailing the Pacific.

[​IMG]

The used a composite board in the middle and surrounded it with 2-liter bottles filled with a little dry ice. I'm not sure how much it would cost, or how long it would last, but I bet you could get the bottles fairly cheaply.

[​IMG]

I'm sure the best engineers and the most money was spent on this shape of hull, and it works very well. But, I'm not sure if they (or a smaller copy) could be made by an individual.

[​IMG]

This looks interesting, but I haven't done much research into how well these work in small to medium waves, let alone big waves.

[​IMG]

The SWATH design always looks interesting, but has some other issues. I just think that when at anchor, it would be nice to be able to convert a boat into a SWATH...

In the future, I will have to figure out if it would be better to built a multihull boat or to make something different. I didn't win the lottery yesterday, so I will need to stay on some type of budget, but it doesn't need to be as cheap as possible.
    I'm not sure I would need access to the hulls if the boat would work better with skinny hulls. And I would think 40' long would be would be the longest that would be able to be built without more engineering reinforcements.

I'm also wondering what the best materials to use would be in order to be able to have the hulls pretty much completed in a month when building a boat. Is it fiberglass and epoxy over wood? I can work with plywood... I'm not sure about foam, molds, and vacuum bags.

Are there any video instructions or TV shows that would go through the steps to build a simple and streamlined catamaran hull?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.