An alloy (tinny) trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by NeilR, Sep 29, 2011.

1. NeilR

NeilR New Member

I've been reading this forum for a few years (when I have rare spare time) but have not been brave enough to post until now.
    I'm interested in the feasibility of making a small trimaran out of alloy much like the most popular 'tinny' (monohull trailer boats used in Australia for fishing).
    The vision is for a very stable, day cruiser for three adults/two adults and two children, that can be used much like a traditional 'tinny' - so sailed for fun, sailed or even motored to a fishing spot. I would want it to be easy to sail and dry. Speed is not of great importance and it will be equipped with an outboard motor. I would like the ability to launch at a beach and be able to cope with small waves. I imagine that furling sails would be a good idea, but I also like the idea of a windsurfer rig for some reason.
    The choice of alloy is due to light weight, ruggedness (particularly with UV light degradation) and ease of service over time. I have access to a 3m CNC press and a 4m guillotine.
    Has anyone heard of or seen such a boat?

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I have never seen a production boat such as you describe, probably because of the limited market appeal. The UV bit I wouldn't think would be that important a consideration. I guess if you google trailable sailing trimarans, you might see something you like the look of, and take it from there.

3. NeilR

NeilR New Member

thanks for the reply. I have searched for a couple of years. The Windrider 17 comes close but is not available in my market as far as I know. The rest are really seem for 'serious' sailors, which I am not.
    The UV considerations comes from a friends need to redo the gelcoat on his composite boat, whereas the alloy boat he has inherited from his father is just fine. Whatever I end up with will have to be stored outside in all weather.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

A tarp will take care of that UV problem, would be better not to restrict your options to just aluminium, IMO.

5. NeilR

NeilR New Member

Well I am competent with composites and can vacuum bag and use core materials. I had thought that alloy may be more hardy, quicker and create less waste, as well as being lighter.