AC 45 World Championship Cheating??

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Aug 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Paul Lewis at the NZHerald is on a roll.

Excerpt:

From the lack of responses in this thread, it would appear that there are not too many lawyers around this forum...

:cool:

2. GogogoStopSTOP

GogogoStopSTOP Junior Member

Let me take a shot at the article & your ribbing for a lawyer's response. LOL.

But as a previous product development Poo-Bah: If I were the Oracle team's leaders, I'd argue that this was a complete "dumb-fest" on their part. I'd argue that all of the boats were sub-optimized by a stint of bad, sloppy engineering. Further, I'd argue that some senior management knew of the problem, but they got bolloxed up in reporting it, fixing it, documenting it... etc, etc. I'd argue that, in the end, the problem didn't really need fixing & they forgot about it.

I think, all or some of what I said is, or could be true. If it was a serious problem, there would have been one fix, well implemented & hidden or not hidden & documented to the committee.

I've wondered too much, but lastly, I don't see an enormous conspiracy. gggss.

3. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

^^^

As I guess you know GoGo, once you enter a one-design class race there is a limit to what brilliant modifications you can make, no matter how miserable the boat and rule is.

But I don't think Oracle senior management was so unhappy with the boats they themselves had produced; It is rather presumptuous to implicate them in the kingpostgate saga, at this point!

;)

4. GogogoStopSTOP

Yes, for sure, one design is a one design. If they made these after the official measurement, I would say that my approach isn't at all correct.

I was thinking that it was before the measurement because there is no data now that says it would have been impossible to miss during the measurement period. There are no pictures. We'll know soon enough or when the book comes out or when it's made into a movie.

5. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

I would say, that when it's made into a movie
    then you know it's all total BS.

:p

6. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Slow day, no racing, and no new lawsuits!

Lawyers must be tearing their hair out. Did you know that Tom Ehman refuses to tear his own hair? He tears out Janie Eagleson's hair instead. Janie doesn't complain about that, she only wishes he would wear socks, and ditch the grungy old docksiders.

lol

Here's an item!
    The Kiwis have had to resort to coded language on board!
    And why might that be?

Because they know every utterance is being broadcast, and closely tracked by Oracle or course, and they've cleverly decided to turn this annoying problem into an advantage!

Who can imagine what wonderful codewords they will use in the finals?
    It boggles the mind how much fun they can have with that...

Be ahead of the game and order a T-shirt for your wife!

[​IMG]

LINK

7. GogogoStopSTOP

ROTFFLMAO! Do you remember when the Italian's got killed in racing the America's Cup--Louis Vuitton Cup, trials off Newport, RI? 1983?

True or false, I don't know, but the story going around Newport at the time was that the competition always knew when those early Italian challenger's were going to tack their boat because they would all, in unison, flick their cigarettes butts over board, before hitting the sheets & winches! LOL

Anyway, it's a good story.

8. GogogoStopSTOP

Does anyone know of where I could go to see downwind "tracks" of the AC72 boats. I'm very curious about the tacks & their VMG vs AWA, polar plots, etc, etc. I've been on a few cats but cannot believe the downwind speed of these boats, without a big headsail. Thanks in advance... gggss

9. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

^^^
    I put up a link on the other thread Gogo, and petereng made a polar diagram!

Oddly enough it does indeed look as if late, late, on a Friday, when embarrassing news has the best chance of being ignored...
    Iain Murray's office finally made public the revisions to the AMERICA'S CUP WORLD SERIES Results.

So the America's Cup World Serieses, from 2011-2012 to 2012-2013 look different from the Newport race and onwards. There is a lot of nasty red ink and zeroing of scores of Oracle Racing Team USA's boats.

Has anything more humiliating ever taken place in yacht racing, from the point of view of everyone who was involved in organizing those events?

Luna Rossa quickly posted the good news:

It is hard to imagine how Grant Dalton, in his wildest dreams, might have ever concocted any verbiage/statements to rival the above, in terms of doing injury to the Cup under the broadly written Article 60?

:eek:

10. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

12. GogogoStopSTOP

I'm attempting to read & make sense of the Measurement Report... but, you could write a headline that says, "Team NZ makes repairs to Forward & Main Kingposts." And, you could add, "Did Team NZ report changes to Committee?"

13. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Corley, I've just gone through it once, watching the LV prizegiving now, but the findings here relate to the 'main kingposts' as opposed to forward.

You suppose these mods made for stiffer boats?

Sounds worse in that case than the lead in the forward posts?

14. GogogoStopSTOP

Yes, by 1.4% & 1.8%. The main kingpost is 500 mm, the USA's lengths are 507 & 509 mm. Why, because they had collars of 7 & 9 mm's added.

The August 24th report says about Team NZ, "Stiffening repair / modification at bottom of main kingpost."

Read the report, if you can. I say, "if you can," because it's written by a Nincompoop! It took me an hour to figure out what they actually found. I'll post the matrix, but Team Oracle was, most likely, trying to fix an attachment problem, most likely. It added a percent & a half of length, i.e., 7 to 9 mm's, for crying out loud... & some weight. TTYSoon about this whole thing in another post.

15. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

^^^

Take it easy GoGo.

You don't have to rush to the defense of what looks worse and worse.

It went from perhaps looking like a drunken joke to now looking like a very studied and machined cheating operation.

Wait and see what the jury has at hand.

;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.