6.5 to 7.5 metre performance/cruise multihulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

I would like to try a foil on the dagger but ... cannot do it because the dagger has to be removed to rotate the single main beam/floats to fore and aft for trailering. However the 6.5 with uptip float foils and T rudder will lift off; don't need the main hull dagger with T - although that would give lift off in less wind, but also more drag.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Gary, the main foil would automatically begin to unload right after main hull lift off allowing it to "work with" the rudder T more effectively giving a major increase in pitch control and substantially reducing drag.
    Are you expecting the main hull to fly with one ama foil wet plus the rudder T?
    Good Luck!

3. Gary Baigent

Yes, two lifting foils, lee and T rudder, will fly my boats, not high, but still out of, or skimming the water. The main hull dagger does the anti-leeway work. My boats are very light. That definitely makes a difference.
    I would like to try the two lifting foils in main hull (and perhaps minimal planing floats) - but cannot with Sid650 - because the main hull dagger has to be removed for the beam to swing. However removal could be achieved by extracting/fitting main dagger T foil from the bottom ... but who is going to tolerate swimming in deep water and diving before leaving/returning from sailing?
    The original idea of the 6.5m was to have a simple boat ... but unfortunately it seems to be morphing into yet another extreme craft. Have to watch myself.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Well, have fun.......

5. Gary Baigent

Went sailing on Sid to clear myself from the misguided effort to slow down Doug's nutty RC foiling thread.
    Light winds at first, then no wind, and then a change with rain came through with some real power. Sid's windward shroud started moaning, then screaming like a banshee and the wind weight forced me to ease main; had way too much sail up. It is interesting with wing masts when you are overpowered while beating, the mast does all the work while the sail spills - but you still sail very fast. That definitely cleared cobwebs out.
    Couple of shots in light airs before the squall arrived.

Attached Files:

6. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

you cant be moving! Theres no wake! haha thats pretty amazing

funny you mention overpowering. we rented a bigger cat few weeks ago, split it among 2 other couples, just wanted to get a feel on a bigger cat. Anyway nice boat nice sails rotating mast and such. Long story short S.F bay gets funny at times and took me an hour to convince them if we reefed we would actually go faster. They eventually gave in, and we did, and soooo much smoother ride to boot.

Barry

7. Gary Baigent

That must have been a pretty decent hired boat if it carried a rotating rig, Barry.
    Sid is so light that it feels like it's going to blow into small pieces when overpowered. Has to be reefed in over 12-14 knots. The screaming noise was coming from the block and tackle setup on my shrouds (for canting rig). Actually re-thinking the howling screaming noise - most probably was the foils. If I had been reaching instead of beating when the squall came through, that would have been an interesting and stimulating time.

8. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Gary's boats have this astounding (or irritating if one is being left behind :) ability to sail when there is virtually no perceptible breeze.

Gary that new main looks nice.

9. basil

basil Senior Member

Hi Gary,

How's Jacques Trailer Tri mods coming along? Any new pics?

Tony

10. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

The Banshee must be having had a look at your shoes then, won't she?
    Just kidding, very nifty, very nifty indeed: The sail, your boat, your wake, the situation, your shoes:p, the lot.
    Are they any good on board? The shoes I mean.

11. Gary Baigent

They're almost completely worn out but I keep wearing them. They have a separate big toe so must be a Japanese design. The big toe gives throwbacks like me a prehensile super grip on slippery decks, ho, ho.
    Yes, need another pair, got them from a diving shop but that was 5-6, probably more, years ago.

12. Gary Baigent

Tony, Monsieur Jacques is a very busy man. But I almost convinced him to put Flash Harry's wing mast on his tri. But he'll change his mind again as soon as I leave the house. However he's taking the silly alloy under powered rig out for the winter ... so who knows. He's very happy with the more buoyant main hull bow.

13. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

Yeah, it was the toe that intrigued me cause I sadly developed a rather silly suspicious tendency to, for instance, hold a sheet between my toes when my hands are needed for something else. With shoes on I mostly feel a slightly handicapped.
    Weren't there some people convinced humans descended from the Apes?
    So also very grippy aye?…..Hmmm, interesting.
    Thanks,

14. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

clearly its an efficient rig and boat, so I had the thought, if one wanted could they scale back the size to ease cost and or time of build. I get that light air performance would suffer. Its mostly an academic question.

Barry

15. Gary Baigent

For sure. Sid's mast is 11.5 metres by 500mm chord but 10 metres by say, 350-400mm would let you carry full sail up to maybe 18 knots.
    But I really like flying along in the light stuff, is pure magic.
    Reefed down Sid also feels great, comfortable full power, no spilling wind.
    I knew yesterday there was a sting in the coming wind but under estimated. Didn't last long, 15 minutes maybe, then eased down. It's always the initial few blasts that are the strongest.
    Here's another shot in light airs.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.