42ft racing trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by gosailing, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I'm going to have to be super careful about how I load the boat I looked at my requirements and decided I'm much more interested in racing than cruising for now. Kurt weighs the boats with a nod to normal usage ie outboard and small fuel tank anchor chain and rode all fittings rig and sails loaded.

The payload is very low nominally its about 230kg's in its racing trim. Kurt mentioned he often sailed his boat significantly heavier without much deterioration in performance. I should scrape by if I fit a watermaker and a small generator and use freeze dried food packets while I'm racing on longer passages tankage will be very low for fuel and water. Accomodation is a snug double fore or aft I'm going aft for easy access to the cockpit in a hurry. I like what Thomas Coville has in place with Sodebo's accomodation pod and will probably have a small dome on the rear of the boat for a bit of light, ventilation and easy access to the cockpit. Interiors in Formula 40's were always marginal but I can shave a tiny bit of weight off here and there and the beams are a bit lighter and significantly stiffer than the original due to the carbon uni which is used in place of the unidirectional eglass that was used on Kurt's original boat geko.

It's really only a racing boat with few creature comforts but I really like that and can live simply without too much stuff. I had a chat to John Cadwadaller a while ago he recently helped bring back a Formula 40 tri called "Spirit" from the states with a few stops along the way. They found that the boat could be loaded significantly more than its racing trim when in "cruise" mode and still handle quite well it's a similar boat in many ways to what I'm building.

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

You can always cruise (Spartan-like) a racing boat, Corley, but you can't race (properly if you're serious) a cruising boat.
    Actually there have been a number of F40's (and smaller, think of Val 31's and Kelsall 28's) that have done crossings and a Lombard F40 finished the infamous '02 Route du Rhum when nearly the whole fleet was devastated by heavy autumn storms.

3. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Hey Gazza - I'll post my apologies soon as the New Years spirits have lessened in my head. Ciao, james

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I've always thought the problem is with "payload" is that much of it tends to be junk you mean to clean out but you dont because the boats still sitting more or less on its lines.

5. Silver Raven

G'day me again. Gazza - you & I need to have a very long & in great depth thorough discussion about your commnets in regards what you (all of us) can & can't do - re racing or cruising oriented multi's. Not sure where to have this discussion but I've got to answer in another part - so I might keep it in there? It'll be very clear that I don't agree with you - would think that David Barker & Phil Hart might think the lines of that discussion might be a bit blured also. I'll have to check with them. Am phoning David & Tatiana this week - so I'll bring it up then. Ciao, james

6. Gary Baigent

hey Raven haired one, I love those Golden Oldies multis ... but although today they might be considered fairly cruise-y, they weren't when they appeared; most of them were considered extreme, eye popping racers: like Sundancer, maybe not so much Sundreamer, but that boat was very light for its time - (by the way I've done many miles on that boat ... and swum around cleaning both long hulls underwater before races a number of times), also raced against Sundancer in the early days too. And an old acquaintance of DB, after all we're both arty farty *******, same sort of education.

7. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Looks like Phil's website is back up again. Updates the boat is now going to be 50' rather than 42' the extra length added to the main hull. Theres also a build log of the beams which makes interesting reading.

http://www.buildatrimaran.com/buildatrimaran/Home.html

8. Silver Raven

Gooday to U & Doug & Gary & Martin (if he ever ventures in here).

I have a serious question. How do you go sailing - in an ocean rce - of let's say 7 to 10 days - with 4 to 5 crew & keep the weight down????????????? As far as the 100's of items - I've spect'ed, weighted & costed - over the last 4 years - how do all you guys keep the weight under 3000kgs & keep it safe?? I just can't get safety gear iether - Cat 1 or similar - down to much under 26000kgs & that's with only 3 crew - which in itself is NOT safe!!!!!!!!!!

Most all - including some mentioned - do not allow enough weight carrying capacity - to pass muster & I personally am not risking my life on their lousy maths. - not now nor likely ever. They simply do not tell the truth about their designs or they would design vessels to go quick & carry enough safety gear to keep boat & crew safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ciao, james

How about you extra intelligent guys - do some weights & tell me where I got it all wrong. Please??? Ciao, james

9. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Cat 1 regulations are a good guide for racing safety and equipment. I honestly cant see the weight impost your proposing but would like to see your inventory of what you feel is required for safety. Racing Singlehanded has inherent risks attached and when sailing in that format it's your personal responsibility to be careful and methodical with your safety regime and training. I've certainly done a lot of soul searching as to whether I'm willing to accept those risks but life is about more than safety, adventure and answering the challenge have to be a part of our life too.

It's worth keeping in mind also that fatalities on racing multihulls have been extremely low while I can think of quite a few fatalities on monohull race boats even professionals (Hans Horrovoets comes to mind washed overboard and drowned) plus quite a number of very close calls with POB's. The main cause of deaths was drowning through going overboard something thats much more likely on a monohull to start with. The main structural change to the KH formula 40 is the watertight bulkhead spacing, staunchions and the full height daggerboard shroud none of which are a huge weight impost nor push the boat over it's displacement limits. Safety is a high priority and I dont want photos like this one taken of me (Hans daughter waving goodbye to her dad for the last time).

Attached Files:

10. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

11. Silver Raven

Gooday Corley - I'm not getting much 'new' stuff - there - - I'm sure I'm not getting all that you are seeing. DARN. I'll keep trying. He sure has some 'smart' guys helping. Boys of IDEC aren't all that dumb.. It sure is a 'swift' looking toy ! !

Can we have a ' 'Poverty-Pack 1' & 'Poverty-Pack 2' or maybe 'Extreme Poverty-Pack' - - just kidding - already got a name just need a couple 100K to be able to paint it on the boat. Ciao, james

12. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

My apologies got my wires crossed and I've mentioned the updates before a few posts above. I think poverty pack is actually a really good name for the boat :D.

13. basil

basil Senior Member

I've just been checking out Phil Steggall's site and I noticed on a photo of Jeans Foster there is a stylized Kiwi logo on the cabin side. Can anybody tell me what the Kiwi connection has to do with the boat?

Tony

14. Gary Baigent

Just the Kiwi bloke who was sailing it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.