42ft racing trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by gosailing, Oct 16, 2010.

1. luckystrike

luckystrike Power Kraut

Homepage is working!

Dear Phil,

good to see your homepage working again. As I thought you have a very interesting design. And it seems, with the input of Nigel Irens, a good think-tank too. If he is right the days of the fat 300% Amas are gone. Thats a good think as I never liked them, beeing unpleasant to the eye and quite heavy due to there big surfaces.

Your Ama design looks radical but it seems that you are lacking some volume aft to fly the main hull in a good balance. But you will have your numbers and this will be secured, I'am sure. Seems to look this way because of the extreme high bows.

Why are you going with Peter Hosteler (besides he is good with a hammer and nails:D) as the designer and not with Kurt Hughes, who did some sketches for you earlier? Or even with Nigel Irens if you have such a good contact?

Grreeetings from the North Sea Coast, Michel

2. gosailing

gosailing Junior Member

here's the new updated site. The site was getting tangled with my consulting site....

I decided to give Peter Hostetler a chance by introducing him to Irens and the real world of boat building. Working alongside Peter through the design and building has been a rewarding, pleasant exercise. Both Irens and Hughes are great designers but as the builder of the boat, I wanted to have a strong influence on the design as well.

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I thought I might share some basic concept pictures of the Trimaran I'm having designed by Tim Clissold in NZ. It should be a nice boat with a focus on performance but some useful accomodation too. I went to Tim with the concept of a boat that will be a good round the cans boat but also capable of good bluewater performance and good cruising comfort when in cruise mode.

Attached Files:

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

A couple of concept renders of the trimaran we are going to add a small stern extension to carry an outboard in a pod and boarding steps the trimaran is approximately 43' waterline length.

Attached Files:

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

============
    Corely, that looks real good! If I remember correctly, isn't Tim Clissold the guy that designed the Weta?*

* I just looked it up(again): http://www.tcdesign.co.nz/bt_4traintri.htm

7. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Yes, Tim designed the initial boat which developed into the Weta there is quite a legal saga attached to the whole thing which I wont go into google if you are interested and he is quite active in designing for the 8.5 class in New Zealand.

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Corely, will you make provisions to use foils in your amas as Phil said* he would?

* quoted in second post of this thread....

9. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Well it's early days in the design but the scantlings will allow for float foils to be fitted at a later stage additionally most of the internal furniture is going to be easily removed for racing and the sail controls will be setup for singlehanded operation all sheets and halyards and lines will lead to the coachroof which has an offset companionway for strength and will be able to carry the primary winches. Racing trim will probably have a single berth with a chair and nav console similar to sodebo's layout.

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=========
    Sounds-and looks- like a very exciting boat! Good Luck and good sailing...

11. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I've been watching the website with interest, any updates to share Phil?

12. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

G'day 'Corley' - am sure we all have great hopes for a 'FAB 2012. I'm sure some of us could sure use it - as a change to 2010 & 11. Looks like it would give 'T-W', '888' & a few others a 'right curry-up' if you took it across the 'puddle' - they sure seem to be quick & have a lot of fun - over there.

Think your way out of my financial bracket BUT am sure interested to watch your developments. I seem to think Gary's wings are to heavy but that's not a criticism - in any way, just an observation from afar.

How big is the wing-mast,(as in % of total sail area) what's it made of, & with the added efficiency of a wing as well as that very efficient looking sail-plan - is the mast not a tad to far forward? ? ? To all those questions. Please. I'm just trying to stay abreast of the mod's you guys are doing.

No I'm not pretending to know anything very much. Have been messing around with wing masted cats since back in the late 60's & am still interested. The tri - I have my eye-on - has one. (38'x31'x1700kgs) but need to 'get-my-ducks-in-a-row' & buy it. It's a bit heavy but it's a cruising type to live on & a bit of fun as well. Can't sell the farm as yet - no buyers up here in Far North Queensland - DARN - 2012 will get it accomplished - I'm sure. Ciao, james

13. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Silver Raven, James, I'm a crank with a reputation when it comes to building light; Groucho Marx's wing mast, 15.5 m x 0.50m, two people can easily pick up and carry down to the boat, estimated weight 65-70kgs, has light, high tech rigging - that's not a heavy rig for a 50ft plus mast. Flash Harry's 9 m x 0.46m wing mast, which is going to replace my sailing mate's alloy rig on his 24 foot tri, weighs 20 kg; that is pretty light too. Sid's 11.5m x 2m full wing at this stage we estimate 25-30 kg, hoping for finished weight of 45 kg. Just saying, mate. How heavy was the full wing on Lock's C Class?

14. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Silver Raven, I'm curious to see what progress Phil Steggal has made on his boat discussed in the original post. Looked like he was well underway which was nice to see but no updates for a while. His build is way out of my bracket financially but impressive none the less.

I ended up not getting the boat by Tim Clissold designed and went for the Formula 40 to Kurt's plan. Financially I can afford to build Kurt's design but not the proposed boat from Tim Clissold which I posted above it's a pity because it's a hell of a nice boat.

Tim's design fee was very reasonable around 7k if I recall correctly but engineering the structure was going to be about 25k. I think I'll be well into the build of my Formula 40 tri for those dollars if I use the cylinder mold method. Kurts F40 looks like an expensive boat to build but the surface area's are quite small even though the footprint of the boat is large the raw materials are less expensive than they appear.

15. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Corley - KH - F40 looks the 'full-monte'. What are you going to do about accommodation?? How much safety gear, anchors & chain, food, water, o/b + fuel, etc etc. do you think it can carry & still get-up & boogy. How long do you think any trips you'll take will last? Can the 'F-40' carry that weight? Sure would be interested in your thoughts & comments - cause that's what's got me stumped at the moment. I can't get the total weight of necessities required to much under 2000kgs if I can get them that low. All help will sure help me out. Ciao, james

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.