35th Americas Cup: Foiling Multihulls!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

2. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

This is a surprise.

I'd think you'd like San Diego better, as it is less boisterous, and more conducive to foiling.

It seems clear to me that that the conditions in San Francisco beat up the boats quite a bit, causing two capsizes and one death.

Also, races were delayed and canceled, due to too much wind.

It seems that this is far less likely to happen in San Diego.

More conducive conditions may also help lure more challengers too.

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

35th AC on Foils!

I remember the last America's Cup in San Diego(I think)- very light air. And the place has the rep for a lot of light air days. But I've never been there or to San Fran but I have watched every America's Cup that has been televised and outside of Perth Australia, San Fran had the best conditions ever. I really think its a shame the powers that be didn't do what was necessary to hold on to that venue.

4. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Are they the right boats?

Gday

I would be interested in watching a cup where the boats are slower. My problem with the last cup (apart from Oracle winning) was the lack of switch of attack opportunities.

In normal match racing the lead boat has the attacking advantage upwind but downwind the attack advantage shifts to the trailing boat. It gives the trailing boat a chance to dictate tactics and attack.

In the last cup the boast were so fast that the lead boat always had the attacking advantage as it could gas the trailing boat even on the square runs. I think this is a serious disadvantage of the AC 72s and any boat as fast.

My two cents would be that the boats go no faster than the AC 45s where the trailing boat could at least gybe early and gas the lead boat if close enough. Give the boat big foils if needed to foil slowly - they can make a Laser foil. Otherwise it will be less interesting downwinds with little tactics. I might even look longingly at the old mono days. Monos have great match racing stoushes on the square run.

cheers

Phil

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

35th America's Cup on Foils!

Phil thanks for your comments! Did you watch all the racing in the last Cup? There were multitudes of leads changes-great excitement throughout the racing. And the guy that won the start didn't automatically win the race as so often happened when leadbellies were raced.
    I've watched every Cup race and I don't remember any other racing as exciting as the the last 10 or so races in 34. The only Cup racing that was even close to being as exciting was the last race in 83 when Australia II did her thing and Perth in 87 when Dennis Connor lost his jib in big seas but still won.
    San Francisco was tremendous and going to San Diego takes a big chance on light air. To me, it is a historically horrendous mistake to leave San Fran.......

6. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

But that wasn't with foiling boats. Or was it? These foilmarans go so fast they just about make their own wind, or at least appear to.

An eight knot wind may be sluggish for a heavy mono, but might be heaven for a foiler.

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

35th America's Cup on Foils!

From the America's Cup website: http://www.americascup.com/en/news/...he-groundwork-for-first-season-of-racing.html

Foiling AC45s confirmed for America’s Cup World Series

The best sailors in the world will be flying above the water at speed when the America’s Cup World Series begins in the summer of 2015.

Champion sailors Ben Ainslie, Dean Barker, Franck Cammas, Nathan Outteridge, Max Sirena and Jimmy Spithill will lead their respective teams into the first stage of the competition for the most storied trophy in international sport.

Commercial Commissioner Harvey Schiller says that he also expects at least one additional team will be joining as a late entry.

The America’s Cup World Series runs for two seasons in 2015 and 2016, ahead of the America’s Cup Qualifiers, Playoffs and Finals in 2017.

In a Regatta Memorandum issued to the teams today, Schiller confirmed two America’s Cup World Series events have already met the hosting criteria and had been scheduled to be raced in 2015 by the America’s Cup Event Authority.

Further events will be added to the America’s Cup World Series calendar as hosting agreements are concluded and subject to the unanimous consent of the teams.

“This is the first time in America’s Cup history that each of the teams has been given an opportunity to host America’s Cup World Series events,” Schiller said. “All six teams are interested in hosting at least one event in either 2015 or 2016 and we’re working with each team to convert that interest into a concrete event plan.

The two confirmed host venues will announce their events in the coming weeks with the first announcement expected on November 5th.

“We’ve also started working with the teams on filling out the 2016 America’s Cup World Series calendar,” Schiller said.

All racing in the America's Cup World Series will take place in foiling versions of the one-design AC45 catamarans. A feasibility study has confirmed the necessary modifications can be made to all the boats prior to the first event in June 2015.