35th Americas Cup: Foiling Multihulls!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

According to a WSJ article the Oracle boat is being held by a lawsuit. Interesting to see differences in treatment from different law jurisdictions.

$300,000 US for a grinder and he was sacked after he demanded more (much more) to go to Bermuda. Now he is suing and holding up the boat because he was fired. Compare to Jimmy's treatment by NZ.

It looks to me like ridiculous US entitlement and litigation.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-sailo...larry-ellison-1426013584?KEYWORDS=oracle team

2. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

The article states that he had a contract.

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

35th America's Cup on Foils

Frankly, I think that is a stinking over-reach on the employees part. To "attack" the whole team for a perceived wrong is the greater of the two wrongs. From what I've read on SA I don't think the guy has a chance in a million to win. I hope he gets squashed like a bug......
    Skyak, did you mean Dean with TNZ? Jimmy's the Oracle skipper unless you meant somebody else?

4. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

Sorry,
    Dean Barker, sailing director/helm -terminated by media release, unprovoked. I presume Dean will find a new position soon -likely with a raise.

I presume Joe Spooner will go home. TNZ saved a few bucks on Deans salary -maybe they could afford Spooner's $38000US/mo... if they fired the rest of the team.

I presume that the contract in question spelled out location allowance and that notification he would not go amounted to termination or breach of contract.

5. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

The important question about the TNZ reshuffle is, now that Gashby is earning the big bucks, does he still have the pano and will he air freight it to Bermuda?

Gashby's a great guy, but I dunno....I just can't see him in a Porsche instead of the pano.

Just don't try to beat him in anything involving water, dishwashing liquid, plastic, bungy cord and a bottle of Bundaberg Rum.... Not even Stalky can do that.

(Apologies to those who aren't Australian cat sailors, but it's Friday night down here....)

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

8. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

Helm turned way too fast and killed the boat speed.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

35th America's Cup on Foils---Artemis

Long version Navas video, Parts 1 and 2:
    I hope everybody that views these videos realizes how lucky we are to have these videos taken by Mr. Navas. As best I can tell now ,when Artemis leaves that's it unless someone new pops up in Bermuda. I think it is just awful that this Cup will be held in Bermuda after what a success it was in San Fran-at least for those that love the Cup and watched the event.
    Part 1-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PafbKsBGB2k

Part 2-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ZNDolpSUA

10. CT249

CT249 Senior Member

/\

"Helm turned too fast"....Yep, they are complete incompetents with no idea of foiling or fast boats.....

Arguably the faster the class, the faster you have to tack (all else being equal) and with no hull to slew through the water, turning the boat fast may slow you down less in a foiler than in a conventional boat. I don't recall the seahugging Moths tacking as fast as foiling Moths, for example.

11. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Certainly I doubt there is anyone on this forum able to sail any boat as well as any sailors on these boats.

I have had the plesaure of watching Nathan Outeridge saila few boats and there are few people who have such wonderful natural seeming ability. I have seen him dominate a high class 49 er start and then stop, go behind the last boat and start again sailing through the top class fleet in a couple of legs. He also won a foiling moth worlds and I watched him look fab in that series too. If Nathan can't make it look easy then it must be incredibly difficult.

That such wonderful sailors do not look fabulous in the AC45s when foiling shows us how hard these boats must be to sail. A bit of me wonders if the designers could not have worked out a better way to make the boats more stable.

cheers

Phil

12. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Yes. Should have been trimaran square configuration?
    Just joking ... but also slightly serious.
    I mean lighter, more stable, better design engineering at base for the intimidating full wings?

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

35th America's Cup on Foils--Luna Rosa

From Scuttlebut Europe: http://luna-rossa-challenge.americascup.com/en/home

Following over two months of training on the water with the two "flying" AC45s, Luna Rossa is now at work on the second phase of boat development.

The next 40 days will be dedicated to new structural modifications of the catamarans based on the results of the sea trials carried out in the past months.

Max Sirena, skipper of Luna Rossa, said: "The design of any winning boat requires a close collaboration between sailors, designers and the shore team: each modification is the result of months of tests, simulations and a constant search of performing solutions. The feedback that the sailors give to the designers regarding their feelings onboard is crucial. If this is true for all boats, it is even more important in the design of full-foiling catamarans, where each parameter is taken to the extreme."

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

35th America's Cup on Foils---Oracle

Article here on Oracles AC 45:
    http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20150319/SPORT30/150319650

Jimmy Spithill, the skipper of Oracle Team USA, is extremely encouraged by the outcome of tests conducted on the team’s wing sail AC45 catamaran in San Francisco Bay last month.

During the two-week foiling, flying exercise, Oracle’s modified AC45, a prototype for the team’s AC62, to be used in their defence of the America’s Cup in Bermuda in June 2017, was clocked in excess of 45 knots in under 22 knots of breezes.

“It’s an incredible boat and it’s going to be an important tool for us going forward,” Spithill, the youngest skipper to win the America’s Cup, told The Royal Gazette. “It was pretty impressive.”

Spithill, the 2014 Rolex ISAF Sailor of the Year, past world match race champion and King Edward VII Gold Cup winner had limited action in Oracle’s AC45 before undergoing elbow surgery in Los Angeles.

The 35-year-old is in a race against the clock to regain fitness in time for the start of the America’s Cup World Series. It remains to be seen whether he will make a full recovery to helm Oracle’s foiling AC45 catamaran in the series opener in Sardinia, Italy, in June.

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

35th America's Cup on Foils--Bermuda-a Sailors Race Course

From Scuttlebutt tonight: ( Read the whole article here: http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2...cas Cup Bermuda will be a sailors race course )

“We turned up in Bermuda with preconceived ideas about how big the race course was going to be, where it was going to be, the wind directions and strengths. It’s not until you’re there on the ground that you really get a good feel for what’s going on. And one thing we learned was that the race course is going to be pretty small, it’s going to be tight, and there’s going to be a lot of manoeuvring. This is a sailor’s race course, and we knew that we had to get back there as soon as we could for more detailed analysis.”

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.