35th Americas Cup: Foiling Multihulls!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

2. P Flados

P Flados Senior Member

From a design standpoint, a really big item for this cup will be foil optimization.

Just think about the inner circle of foil designers for the teams that do well.

The teams own the actual IP for the foils and will probably do their best to hold it pretty tight. However, they do not own the skills of the guys involved. Not only that, but basic planform & board curvature and operating angles are pretty hard to hide.

After this one is over, I will bet that at least some the foil guys will consider moving on and using these skills to work on foils for production racing multihulls.

I predict that the "black art" of designing a competitive flying multihull will soon become more of science with much of the basic required info as common knowledge.

I can see just the thought of this bringing Doug to the point of a mental "happy dance".

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

35th America's Cup on Foils-TNZ Tragic Events

I've read a lot about this and I was hoping it was the typical media induced firestorm. I'm not so sure now but I hope TNZ can pull itself together-it simply wouldn't be an America's Cup without Team New Zealand!

America’s Cup: Lawyers, Guns, and Money

by Dana Johannsen, New Zealand Herald

Auckland, NZL (February 22, 2015) – A furious Dean Barker has called in the lawyers as the bitter battle over his future with Team New Zealand intensifies.

Barker was left shell-shocked at leaks to media this week that he was to be axed as skipper of the America’s Cup syndicate. His lawyers have written to the syndicate’s board seeking a “please explain” over his treatment.

The campaign for the 2017 regatta in Bermuda was already mired in controversy over taxpayer funding, and now the Herald on Sunday has learned the relationship between Barker and syndicate boss Grant Dalton has been toxic for some time, and that they rarely speak. It emerged this week that Barker only learned he was to be replaced at the helm of Team New Zealand by young sailing star Peter Burling after reading it on Facebook.

The leak occurred while Barker was in negotiations with Team New Zealand top brass. It is understood one of the options being discussed was for Barker to be replaced as skipper, but to retain a leading role within the team.

That now appears unlikely, with the Herald on Sunday learning last night that Barker – left in tears after Team NZ’s heartbreaking loss to Oracle in the 2013 America’s Cup – is set to walk away from the crew if Dalton remains in charge of the syndicate.

- See more at: http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2015/02/22/americas-cup-l

Theme song of current events in NZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP5Xv7QqXiM

-Full Story: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11405837

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

35th America's Cup on Foils-TNZ Tragic Events

A guy on another forum by the name of Groucho Marx(from NZ) expressed his
    feelings about this in his inimitable way but his point was the New Zealanders-and the rest of us-owe Dean Barker and Team New Zealand as the first in the World to fly a large catamaran foiler in a challenge for the America's Cup.
    And I agree 100% -what they did was the most significant transformation of sailing in the America's Cup and in multihull sailing period.
    This Team has to pull itself together and go for it again-take a lesson from Jimmy- he was down 8-0 and came back. TNZ is not down anywhere near that far and they can comeback as fearsome Challengers for the Cup -and this time if they pull together they can win!

7. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

So we were out today on Charlies F27 and fortunately met up with both Oracle and Artemis. As always it was almost impossible to video boats going at 35 knots when you are only doing 14 (and trying to sail at the same time). So the video I have isn't great. But it proves we were there. I'll put it on youtube later. Meantime, here's a photo

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

Attached Files:

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

35th America's Cup on Foils

Thanks ,Richard-looking forward to the video....

9. Richard Woods

So, see my warning in my previous post..

here is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPn5geNFV8Q&list=UUhKTQtbKN5BaXFTg2BjcbqA

"I was fortunate to get out sailing on a F27 in San Francisco bay when the America Cup foiling 45fters were also out practising.

It is very hard to video boats moving at 35knots when you are only doing 12-14 and don't know where they are going or when they will tack.

And having to sail at the same time, not just video. So this video is just to show we were there with them on a glorious, sunny winters day

For the record, both boats need to practise their tacking a lot more. Artemis seemed to fly higher but sail slower than Oracle. And what causes the high pitched whine before they sail fast (hydraulics?)

Thanks Charlie!"

10. P Flados

P Flados Senior Member

Richard,

Awe gosh.

Why don't you just rub it in "hard to video boats moving at 35knots "

The number of BDN posters that have been "up close" to anything "AC flying multihull" is very low.

Remind me again why I work for a living :( instead of just fooling around on sailboats at super locations :D

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

35th America's Cup on Foils

Thanks for the video, Richard! Looked like, compared to Oracle, Artemis was pitching a lot?

13. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Thanks for the video, Richard. Must be quite interesting observing the 'experimental' development of these beasts.

14. Richard Woods

There was less wind yesterday than on the 20th. I thought Artemis heaved more than Oracle. Both boats were doing smooth gybes except once Artemis went almost vertical on a gybe. Tacking looks like exaggerated roll tacks, see at approx 5min in the video from the 20th. Looks pretty scary, as with dinghy roll tacks the roll may be less in more wind?

We assumed the jib was to help low speed manouvering, the boats certainly hove to easily (it also meant we could say we overtook Oracle)

Their crew seemed friendly, waving to us, as we passed them several times close by when they had stopped.

But you cannot learn anything from watching them when you don't know what they are doing. Is the bow down trim fast? or are they experimenting to see if it is fast, or is it experimenting with sail trim rather than the foil loading (only change one thing at a time is the golden rule) or are they simply doing something wrong?

We spent some time discussing how you would actually get on one and optimise it. Lots of variables in design and then optimising the crew work. The do it all again on the "real" boat, knowing you cannot scale everything up from 45ft to 62ft

It would be interesting to be involved. I'll be out again on Sunday, sailing a Multi23

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

35th America's Cup on Foils-"TNZ"-The Dalton Gang rides again.....

Unfortunately, all the rumors about Dean Barker are true-he has been sacked as skipper and helm on the TNZ boat. I can't think of a more rotten disgusting way to have handled the reshuffle than the way the "Team" did it -with sneaky media leaks and with no regard whatsoever for Dean Barker-what a damn shame. This time I'll enjoy seeing Jimmy crush the so called "Team management" And what piss poor,underhanded half-*** management of the "Team"!!! The Dalton Gang rides again-but not for long.......This was released today:

http://emirates-team-new-zealand.am...tions-team-prepares-for-challenges-ahead.html

Emirates Team New Zealand announced today that the Halsey Street, Auckland, base will be fully operational from Monday, March 2.

Work will start immediately on modifying an AC45 catamaran to foil.

With the first America’s Cup World Series regatta scheduled to take place at Cagliari, Italy in June, pressure is on the team to start the modifications.

The team also announced it had completed the restructuring process that came out of the team-wide review after San Francisco and 50 people have signed on and will be working full time from Monday.

Wing trimmer in 2013 Glenn Ashby has been appointed Sailing Director and he and Peter Burling will take on helming duties.

Ashby is a multiple world and Australian champion in three multihull classes and Burling is current world Moth and, with Blair Tuke, 49er champion.

Dean Barker was involved in the review and restructuring process and

Emirates Team New Zealand wants to retain his services as Performance Manager and Sailing Coach with a place on the executive committee.

In the review of Emirates Team New Zealand, the team clearly identified the need for such a role. It is a crucial position for the team and we have been discussing this as a possible option for Dean since last November.

Emirates Team New Zealand recognises that Dean has significant experience and can make a valuable contribution. The role we have offered him would enable the team to capitalise on his skills.

Emirates Team New Zealand has now made a formal offer to Dean which he is still considering.

Until the review process was completed it would have been unfair to all involved, and therefore inappropriate, for Emirates Team New Zealand to comment on the various reports in the media over the last week. The review process is now complete.

It should be noted that the announcement of Bermuda as the venue for the next America’s Cup series had a serious impact on the team’s finances and sponsorship funding, reducing the budget by some $20 million.

This meant the team has had to reduce its remuneration budget and each team member has, as a result, taken a significant pay cut.

Additionally several million dollars has been axed from the operations budget leading to the scrapping of one of the foiling AC45s that we had planned and, consequently, the elimination of one of the planned helmsman positions.

CEO Grant Dalton said: “As mentioned, the team has just activated its next stage of preparations and on Monday 50 staff begin the role of planning and construction for the upcoming race series.

“We’re hoping to retain Dean’s 20 years of America’s Cup experience in Emirates Team New Zealand but we also acknowledge it is time for new blood to be given the chance at the helm of the country’s challenger,” Dalton said.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.