20 to 22' trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rapscallion, Apr 7, 2008.

1. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

I just ran the scantlings on a 22' trimaran design I have been working and reworking on. I used David Gerr's book along with Arthur Edmund's beam scantling guide. I'm surprised Gerr's Lindsay Lord scantlings make for such a light boat. It comes very close to the same weight as a balsa core construction.

Foam is lighter, but not that much. One thing for sure is that foam is a whole lot more expensive. Am I missing something here? Why isn't the lindsay lord method more popular? Take a look at the Rio Hondo 40; that guy spent 1000 bucks on the core material for that boat. A 22' trimaran would be a small fraction of that.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

3. Multi23

Multi23 Manufacturer of Multi-23

Multi23 Trimaran (MKII Version)

This link is not working anymore,
    please just check www.multi23.com (a new website should be launched before sept 2014).

Since the time of your post, the Multi23 has been improved a lot, with more carbon parts, carbon reinforcements, Karver's hardwares, Cousin Trestec Sheets, etc. :
    very light, safe and very fast!

Perfect either for family sailing than racing...

Have a look on our Youtube Channel, you will see some technical videos, including "Sailing Multi23 (MkII version) in Philippines" ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwu_Ow2NQd8&list=UUYuqONvGv4MIS84tympchAA

and there a short comment from a Multi23 owner, who sum up perfectly the characteristics of the boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxbjWTb0Z0k&list=UUYuqONvGv4MIS84tympchAA

4. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

That is a cool boat! Definitely saving the link! Can it keep up with an old Hobie 16? How about an F18?

5. Multi23

Yes, the Multi 23 trimaran is faster than the Hobie Cat 16, but its pure speed is slower than F18, but can go faster in a long distance (the Multi23 is less physical than a F18).

6. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

And I dare say it carries more beer !

7. Multi23

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.