Is it possible to combine a sailboat, motorboat and submarine?

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by tahroo, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

MODERN DIESEL ELECTRIC SUBMARINES
    http://www.godfreydykes.info/The RN's Last Diesel-Electric Submarines.htm

Maximum surface speed [knots] 19
    Maximum submerged speed [knots] 16
    Diving depth Over 492'

Submerged displacement [tonnes] 2450

So, as i said - the speed over water is good, the diving and underwater speed is good, how much sail would it take to move 2000 tonnes ?

And if you could afford a submarine, why would you want to use sail in emergencies ? Imagine leaving the fate of ~$20 million to the wind ? You would just call out the tugboat, and refuel. Better still, dont run yourself dry in the first place.

By leaving off the weapons, you could store collapsible masts and sails - so its not impossible. But again, if you could afford a proper submarine, sails would be a silly solution.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  2. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Here ya go, now just ad some big bats for underwater use and to

give some extra stability and a sail on periscope and it should work.

The low profile will aid in sailing up wind.

Should also motor through chop fine, the original "wave piercing hull".

VS 5
    HYBRID SUBMARINE-TORPEDO BOAT

(1938-1941)

By Rob Arndt

[​IMG]

VS 5 was an experimental semi-submersible torpedo boat (Versuchs Schnellboot) completed in 1941 and based on a 1938 patent by a Berlin dentist. The intended armament included two 21in torpedo tubes and two 2cm cannon. Its fate after 1941 is unknown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. tahroo

tahroo Junior Member

So it appears that the general concensus is that this is a bad idea. Maybe it is....maybe it isn't. I'm not convinced. There is no fundamental reason why, with today's advanced materials, a vessel cannot travel above the surface as easily as it travels below it. It is merely a question of buoyancy and stability.

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Its not possible to say whether its a bad idea without stating your objectives.

Do you want +495 feet diving capacity, with a resultant 1 knot sailing speed, or are you happy with 30 meters depth, so you can use a lightweight hull that may sail.

The first example is just plain silly, the second example is maybe possible.

How fast do you want to go on the surface ?

You cant even start the feasibility study without a detailed Statement Of Requirements.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

And with a little more thought applied it may be used to just pop out to the moon at weekends.

And with advancing materials forever upon us may I suggest Mars could be possible. Has NASA been in contact with you yet.

7. tahroo

tahroo Junior Member

As a matter of fact I once contacted NASA about inflatable capsules but they thought I was crazy.

8. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

and....? Are you?

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Tahroo -- if you have more money than you can reasonably spend over the remainder of your life and just want to circulate it amoung us folk--why the hell not have fun with it. The most challenging mode of the machine as I visualize it, will be as a submarine. I would concentrate on it's design first, keeping in mind the other two modes the hull will have to perform. Weight being one prime factor of performance and efficiency under both power and sail, should then be a big consideration in choosing the hulls material. If money is not a factor choice amoung the few exoctic materials that are available shouldn't be too complicated. Above all, get yourself a couple of good engineers on staff. To achieve any degree of semi success you're gonna need them :) ---
    A yacht is not defined by the vessel but by the care and love of her owner

1 person likes this.
  10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Saturn V first and second stage were inflated by the pressure of the fuel. They were not structurally strong enough to stand on their own when empty. There are unusual solutions.

11. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"with today's advanced materials, a vessel cannot travel above the surface as easily as it travels below it. It is merely a question of buoyancy and stability."

Decades ago the British AYRS was asked what the most "efficient" sail vessel would be.

The consensus was a small submarine towed by a box kite.

Today with the huge improvement in steerable parachute kites the answer would probably be the same.

But as 90-95% of cruising time is in port , I'm not sure sucking down a cold one , watching the sunset , waiting for the "green flash" thru a periscope has too much appeal?

12. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

I would say yes , but it may be difficult to surface after the initial dive .

F

13. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Just curious-- while reading this thread, has anyone doodled up a vision of what this machine would look like and possibly what choice of hull material's one would use.

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Do you know anyone who might be interested?

15. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Well-- why not just for the hell of it. Often when playing around with abstract ideas a new approach to an old system is born. Example, I visualize the mainsail on this craft making use of roller furling with the gooseneck attached just below deck in a longitudional pocket that allows the entire boom with sail to sit under a hinged cover. Which ponders the question why deck attached goosenecks are not used more. ---

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.