Newbie needs help

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by a.g.turner, Aug 30, 2010.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

Looks like a sound boat at a decent price. Of course there are minor issues, but thats normal.

The mooring seems to be very fair priced, as is the storage. Good deal.

You can rename her every other day, if you want. But when you register her, it is less colstly to stay with the name choosen.

(do not rename ships and boats to a former name, that causes misfortune) well sailors are superstitious.......

The college deal sounds attractive too! Seems you are a lucky chap!

Regards
    Richard

2. a.g.turner

a.g.turner Junior Member

Yeah :)

I'm very happy with that deal.
    The guy I'm buying off seems like a really sound "salt of the earth" kind of chap with years and years of experience.
    He's really sweet and very keen that we (myself and ellie my wife) don't rush into things and he can't do enough to help.

Andy

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

I am very happy to notice you are fine with the present situation, after disappointing you in my first response. But you might have run into the wrong direction if I would have been a bit more diplomatic.

Regards
    Richard

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hello Andy,

I would suggest before you up and buy any boat, do look at all the boats and type of boats there are. Even better, see if you can go out on various ones even if you have to buy the case of beer and pay the fuel.

One sees something and it looks very romantic, yet, when you have to operate it yourself, you may well discover this is not what you really expected it to be.

So what I'm saying is don't just buy a boat to say you have one. When you get one make sure it's what you really would have wanted. Many many many buy boats and they just sit at the mooring and they will probably die there.

Look a bit furter and at all kinds of boats.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Good advice.

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Here's some more advice, and this is a make and break kind of thing.

I assume it's the BIG BOSS (wife) in the tube picture video ? Well, do take her along and consider her opinion weather she likes a prospective boat or not.

If she doesn't like it you may find yourself single handedly have to sail the boat, whatever it is you get in the end. Not much fun and your boating will always take second place to every thing else.

If she likes it as much as you and enjoy the boat also then you have a winner.

Slipping up on this one could cost you dearly. You have been told :D

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Best advice yet.

8. a.g.turner

a.g.turner Junior Member

The Big Boss :)

You're exacly right, my wife Ellie is in the pics. I'm the impulsive one and she's the sensible one.

When we went boat hunting last weekend I was the one saying "This is the one, this is the one I want" to every single boat we looked at. She was in stiches laughing at me acting like a big kid.

We're absolutley of one mind about sailing and being on the water.

Aftger looking for a few weeks at different boats and talking to many many different people Ellie is as keen as I am, if not more so, on Milyn and being as she's less easily swayed by acting like a 4 year old, I'm always happy to submit to her instinct.

Although, that said, Milyn is also in the best condition of any boat we've looked at in our price range, by a long long shot.

Andy

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

My wife is also the 'sensible' one around here. If I had my way the yard as well as the pavemant and probably some friends yards would be filled with boats - one for every type of boating and fishing :D

At the risk of starting a war here, do have a look at some cats and maybe tri's also.

10. a.g.turner

a.g.turner Junior Member

Cats and Tri's

I've more or less committed to the Pandora 22, and we're both very happy with that as our first yacht. I didn't have any idea you could get a cat or tri within out price range..........

I'll look though, out of interest.

By the way everyone. I've got some sailing lessons coming up. I've done a small amount of sailing in my old Mirror (before some A***HO** stole it off my drive, but anyway, the insturctor said to read everything i could get my hands on before the lessons - any suggestions for good clear introductory books on sailing yachts.

I suppose unless you're in the business of instructing people you probably have no need for such books but just incase............

Andy

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Andy, you should be ok if you just at least know what the different boat parts are, like the crows nest, bowsprit, orlop, poop, jolly roger etc etc. Otherwise you refer, like one of my friends, to the boom or mast as 'that pole'.

Creates a bit of misunderstanding...

12. ironbearmarine

ironbearmarine Junior Member

What I have not read here is, "what is your intention?" Are you wanting to restore a boat for the experience of saving a classic, or are you wanting to restore a boat as a way to use labour to offset the cost of buying a seaworthy vessel? Really you are better off buying one, ready to go. Whether buying a project or buying a boat in the water, ALWAYS get a survey, by a certified inspector.
    R.

13. a.g.turner

a.g.turner Junior Member

Restoration V Purchase

Yes, I agree, it's a case of restoration for te sake of bringing a lovely old boat back to life, not for any financial reasons.

I've shelved the whole restoration project now until I know a lot more about it. I'm not scrapping the old boat jsut yet in case I ever feel like doing anything with her but for now she's safe and can be either slavaged for spares or restored later in the future.

For now here's the latest pictures of our new boat MILYN

We're really pleased and excited about this new family adventure and I've no doubt i'll be asking you lot a whole buncn of questions as we go along.

We're back working in MILYN this sunday doing some timber preservation and some work on the trailer.

Let me know what you think of the latest pics :)

Andy

14. a.g.turner

a.g.turner Junior Member

here's the pics of our new boat MILYN

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

no...................

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.