MacGregor 26 not good? Water-ballast in general??

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by Tres Cool, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I never meant to imply it would either be easy or safe. I only meant to say it wouldn't be all that complicated. Especially if the boat was being sailed sensibly before the incident happened.

Well. I guess that takes care of the spinnaker, doesn't it. It wouldn't be flying in rough weather, would it? Nope. It would be in the forepeak with the other light sails.

If the airbag is inflated after the boat turtles, there is far less of a chance of the self-rescue being successful. Like almost zero.

To work properly, the bag must fire automatically. It's firing mechanism can, of course, be disarmed in all but extreme, high risk conditions.

If the bag fires properly; if the bag has enough volume; if the bag and rig stay intact, it will merely keep the boat from turtling. For how long is anyone's guess.

A big comer hitting the capsized hull on the bottom side could force the bag deep enough to leave the boat hopelessly turtled.

But there is at least a chance that the boat could end up downwind of its masthead and the same wind and waves could smack it on the deck side, forcing the immersed hull to trip it back upright.

The crew, at least except for maybe one or two, should abandon ship.

Those remaining on board will risk their lives trying to save the boat.

If they are successful, they can later pick up those who left.

I by no means wish to present this as a pleasant scenario.

It will be a desperate struggle for survival.

Which might have maybe a 50% chance of success.

The first order of business, once the capsize happens, will be to take in the sails, all of them.

Definitely not my idea of fun.

It will require at least two crew to do this. One to hang on to the other as he hauls in the main sail. The jib should be rolled up on the roller furler, or hauled down to the deck with a down-haul (if you don't have a roller furler, you'd better have a down-haul).

It might jam.

The halyard might foul.

If that happens, some poor soul is going to have to swim out there, to the masthead, to cut it.

The next comer could well take him and smash is brains against the deck.

Anymore volunteers?

In short, a system like this offers no guarantees.

But it does offer a chance.

2. CT249

CT249 Senior Member

Yep, but in what situation is the chance worth the risk? Under what conditions could the crew who have abandoned ship get back to the ship, whether or not the righting is successful? A boat that has righted will drift and need a lot of cleaning up before it can get back to them. A capsized multi can drift very quickly.

By the way, I think you'll find a lot of racing capsizes occur under spinnaker.

3. SchwarzBart

SchwarzBart New Member

Wooooow, what brand is this beauty?

Hi everyone by the way :)