Jimmy Buffett just bought a New Sail/Gamefishing Boat,...motorsailer

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by brian eiland, Nov 21, 2015.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

http://www.cruisingworld.com/jimmy-buffet

Attached Files:

2. brian eiland

3. brian eiland

I'd like to hear other replies to this design, as I find a significant number of faults with it. I'll just start with one, 6.5 foot 'shoal draft'.

I think a few of those areas are pretty shallow, particularly the Keys. Who wants a 6.5 draft that needs to get worrisome when you get to 9-10 foot of water?
    I think JB is a keen 'flats guy'....(likes to sport fish the salt water flats).

So that means he needs some sort of nice dingy to reach those areas. Where on that vessel are you going to carry that yacht tender, while still being able to utilize those 'fishing chairs'?

Perhaps in that nice big cockpit area, but wait a minute that might be filled up with a few other water toys....
    I can just imagine a kayak (or 2), or a paddle board (or 2), or a few other toys lying down on the cockpit floor that is also the passage-way between the aft cockpit and the helm. I would image a lot of stumbling going on over this clutter. Might be easy to get them out thru that transom door, but that's about it.

4. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Brian, all that pilothouse 'glass' in a storm or conversely with 30+ degrees and bright hot sun for days on end? .... no thanks. Would be great for growing tomatoes though..

5. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Not seeing the point of twin screws with 6'+ draft.

If I was gonna do something mildly fancy I'd have some slick setup for trolling. Carry a slab of batteries in a keel and use them for silent trolling with same prop. Or have a secondary super quiet engine for trolling with main prop and powering systems at anchor.

Maybe a good old direct drive from main engine, but with a secondary hybrid system with its motor placed elsewhere (so not effected by engine room disasters) with a motor/generator on main shaft that can capture energy when sailing in strong winds.

With a boat that flat and wide I'd want some transferable water ballast for high performance sailing, rather than a deep fixed fin and bob keel, if the boat is meant for shallow waters.

Yeah, I hope it has some amazing new hi-tech glass for those hot sunny days. However, today's skylight installations have some special film that really blocks the heat. I was working on a school and they forgot to put the film in a 3x4ft skylight and really heated the place up. Once the film is installed it is "cold light".

6. brian eiland

I posted this on another forum that questioned the problem with carrying the kayak(s) on the front deck along the lifelines.

7. brian eiland

Attached Files:

8. brian eiland

Shoal Draft?

From a guy who lives and sails in the Turks and Caicos

9. brian eiland

Being located in Singapore, I image you would know a thing or two about this subject :eek:;)

10. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

I'll take one. Nice how the transom extends/retracts for a swim platform or dinghy/kayak launch. He could hit the shallows if he anchored and brought a fishing kayak.

The long twin rudders & keel do look vulnerable though, as do the props. Provided the skipper is acutely aware of the depth at all times that won't be a problem. No question it will have power & speed otherwise.

Also, even if the lines & sheets are rigged for single-handed sailing I can't imaging sailing + fishing without other crew on board to make sure things go smooth. How is one to hold the wheel, the fishing rod & the margarita?

11. RHP

RHP Senior Member

You are cordially invited to visit and view my tomatoes at any time Brian. :D

12. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

13. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

I think the boxes adjacent to the fishing seats would work out fine. I would put fish on one side, and margarita mix on the other. No better way to spend the day.

14. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

"I find a significant number of faults with it. I'll just start with one, 6.5 foot 'shoal draft'. "

I cant see 6.5 foot draft as a fault on a 44 foot boat. The fault is with the advertising here not the draft.

I think the protruding bulb and twin high aspect rudders will be a PITA over time when cruised in remote areas. Twin screws seem like a waste of money, space, weight and sail performance.

Over all I like it though.

15. brian eiland

I wasn't trying ro say that draft was inappropriate for that size vessel, but rather that it was inappropriate for that client.

I agree, in their configurations on this vessel.

I'm going to suggest a more appropriate vessel for him,...in my opinion. Just want to give it some more thought first.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.