DynaRig MotorSailer, ala Maltese Falcon

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by brian eiland, Mar 9, 2007.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Are you ready to take a wing sail into the ocean for a long voyage??...with all of the variety of wind conditions you experience there??

2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I have, for the time being anyway, abandoned my plans to make a dynarig sail/mast assembly for my small sailboat.

The reason for this is my concern about what will happen during a change of tack. The entire sail will be backwinded simultaneously with heeling moment reversing suddenly at "top dead center". In a decent breeze the resulting violent motions of the hull and stresses on the mast worry me.

The only ways to safely change tack appear to be, either wear ship or reduce sail area prior to tacking.

No doubt a multi-masted ship such as Maltese Falcon can rotate one mast at a time or quickly reduce sail area using its powered controls. An old-timer square rigged vessel had sails that could be retrimmed one at a time and also fore-and-aft sails, also air can be easily spilled from the softer sails of yore.

For this reason I suspect that, in the long run, wingsails will prove safer and more practical that the dynarig. However, there is a lot of development and learning needs to happen before wingsails will be seen on anything other than specialized boats. In the meantime conventional sails are getting better and better.

3. richard sauter

richard sauter Junior Member

Attached Files:

4. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I didn't see anything in your website explaining your design. What is formula zero?
    Are you trying to sell and idea or a design?
    Just asking
    Daniel

5. richard sauter

For those who missed the boat

Here are a complete set of elevations along with plan views of each deck

Attached Files:

6. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Do you have a prototype or a testing model?
    Did you try a prototype by all sort of wind and sea?
    I am sure you didn't state the above without serious study because is quite a serious statement which require some kind of back up.
    Can we hear?
    Daniel

7. richard sauter

The Proof is in the Ocean

Wave piercing displacement hulls reaching speeds of 55 knots have been in service for 2 decades. T-foils and stern flaps at least one decade. Slotted symmetric Wingsails, when allowed to compete against traditional sails have always won. Bi-wing sail configurations are common place on the fastest group of sailing vessels. In the Shipbuilding industry diesel electric azimuthing propulsion with counter rotating propellers are accepted as the most efficient system yet devised.

The claims I make are not solely based on my prototypes and the results I achieved at the MIRA wind tunnel, but on proven examples of highly successful commercial and completive vessels.

According to a recent statement made by Richard Branson, achieving the IMO’s target of a 75% reduction in GHG emissions in boats by employing existing technology is totally realistic.

file:///E:/WEB%20E/richard-branson-aims-rock-boat-green-shipping.htm

Richard@SauterCarbonOffsetDesign.com

8. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Are you talking sailing boat or motor boat?
    As for Richard Branson statement let me tell you something: he is the king of MARKETING. Don't be a fool please.
    Big name is not to impress the NA community, and you seams to be confuse by lot of different systems.
    And a lot of sell pitch.
    Sorry for that, but you have to be more specific that copying what other said or did.
    I am not trying to offend you just professional curiosity.
    Daniel

9. richard sauter

Talking Motorsailors

I stand behind Richard Branson, who stands behind the IMO, who stands behind shipbuilding giants like Wartsila, BMT, and the ONR.

Who do you stand behind?

Be specific.

I invite all those “professionals” like yourself, who stand behind you, to write in and be counted.

Lets keep it short and simple, a PRO IMO or PRO DAN will do.

Many who reply will invariably embellish their stand. Seeing no necessity for me to defend the IMO, Wartsila, BMT or the ONR, I reserve the right not to enter into a debate with a PRO DAN.

Boat designers that abstain from voting I will assume are PRO IMO

Richard Sauter

Richard@SauterCarbonOffsetDesign.com

www.SauterCarbonOffsetDesign.com

10. dskira

dskira Previous Member

You stand being what you want, but that is no proof.
    I don't have to tell you to whom I stand behind because it is a very ridiculous question, quite childish.
    If I stand being the NASA doesn't mean I can go to the moon by myself. You get it?
    Show us some numbers, prototype, studies not cute design of the interior.
    Your marketer Branson broke is boat in pieces. And is no boat designer nor naval architect, he just make money and make people like you a fool.
    But it is not about him, it's about you, and to be frank you seams quite ignorant of the principle of naval architecture.
    As for pro IMO or pro Dan, we hit a high level of stupidity.
    Since WE DON'T KNOW NOTHING ABOUT YOUR BOAT, nobody can be behind anything.

Daniel

11. richard sauter

12. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Let's not get hostile here, please.

13. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Don't to worry, I am out of this thread. :cool:
    Daniel

14. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

15. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

This Richard Branson? Looks like this lady is ahead in "Standing behind"......errr, perhaps she's just hanging back a bit?

He's obviously an expert in energy consumption and conservation......

But back to the Formula Zero.......Are you seriously stating that building monster wing-sailed luxury catamarans is going to reduce greenhouse gas emissions? The disconnect is stunning.......no one needs that thing....so just stop......don't build it and really reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Or is that the idea.....sell rich folks pretty pictures of themselves sitting on the deck of this thing....and use the money to feed people in Haiti.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.