CS Hull Sailing Performance?

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by basilroman, Nov 7, 2010.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

a couple more images of that last one....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

I see more similarity with the old Macgregor 36 cat I used to own and many other sailing cats that have a step above the waterline to increase interior volume. I wouldn't call it a chine as the bottom looks like its a round bilge, its just a step out. The prominent features of Malcolms CS hull form as I see it are very high L:B ratios which leads to quite deep fairbody draft, little if any rocker, of course the canoe stern of the underbody and the deeply immersed flat section aft of that to prevent squatting. None of these features exist in Jorges design since it is intended as a sailing cat. Malcolm did tell me once that the big motorsailer he designed early on with the CS hull form reached as fast as similar sized sailing cats, he also said that it is not a suitable hull form for powercats under about 10m and I believe his Tardus design has a hull form more like a sailing cat.

Steve.

3. AMZ

AMZ Junior Member

"he also said that it is not a suitable hull form for powercats under about 10m"
    Steve-Did he elaborate on why he felt this way? Perhaps because of the minimal interior volume on would be held to?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.