Alternative Motorsailer Rig

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by Yobarnacle, Dec 4, 2011.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Dave where did you locate the boom cradle end fittings on your post #22. I've been looking for a set for some 3 months but can't find a supplier or a manufacturer. I'm going a little old school with the fittings on this new build. Brass/bronz mixed with stainless. A touch of bronz here and there gives a little class and those end fittings are pure old school class.

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Here Geo: http://www.porttownsendfoundry.com/boom.htm Expensive. Also, the staysail boom idea for your 'bronze' swivel, the idea is yours if you want to use it with your swivel for yourself. I have lotsa options.

3. Yobarnacle

Also maybe this

Bronze Boom Gallows
    There's a guy on ebay, seller name acme.auctions, who is very knowledgeable about old boat hardware, etc, and he always seems to have unusual bronze stuff. It might be worth sending him a note and asking ...

Ben

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Not required here--have a new pro furl for the jib and Dutchman slab reefing system on the new main. All paid for, stored and waiting patiently to kiss the wind. I have a few more old classy fittings to pick up to complete the job. Debating on using the new $450 ea, stainless portholes i have or trading/selling for bronz. I have to be careful with the mix as the winches are also chrome and they might clash with bronz. ports. Getting artsy fartsy in my old age.:)-- Tnx. Geo.

5. Yobarnacle

What did you think of lasso-spiral gantline furling/frapping jib dousing idea?

6. Yobarnacle

I'd like to find a replica of this 1928 Rolls hood ornament in bronze. 6 or 8 inches high. I'd mount it as a figurehead. It's by Lalique and called "Spirit of the Wind"

Attached Files:

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Is this an actual system or another 3:49 am notebook drawing :) I seen your diagram back on the thread and assumed it was an endless loop (8 track stereo, flying tracking Russian Sub Days) using the furling drum, ??? If so should work ok. --

8. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I bet you would like to find one--do you know what an origional is worth-- something in the order of $10,000 plus. How about a very similar one in bronz with Chief Pontiacs head on it. Will provide a photo tomorrow--Geo.

9. Yobarnacle

We were discussing classic bronze hardware. Figure heads been out of style a long time, but I'm ecentric.

This one is on Ebay, if you wanted a figurehead on your new boat.

Attached Files:

10. Yobarnacle

yes an endless loop, with a spare halyard (gantline) tied to it. Hauling around on the loop winds the gantline around the stay and jib, binding the sail to the stay. If it didn't snag on anything. Never tried it, but may.Certainly cheap. Couple lengths of line

11. Yobarnacle

Do you have a source for chief Pontiac bronze?

12. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ya light went on, ate the worm myself-- Looks like Jupitor-- lets see now my new build is to be named after my wife Nancy-- MMMmmmm Figure HEAD-- Na better carve one.

13. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ok got ya on the loop system--a possible experiment. I have the chief pontiac bronz head sitting on the wood stove in my shop (conversation piece). He was sitting on my drill press top for years also--Think he is a hood ornament from an old pontiac car that never got chromed-- will photo next to a ruler for size and post tomorrow night. Right now bunk time 1:53 am here, this is worst than HAM RADIO for the wee hours of the morning.--Goodnight --Geo.

14. Yobarnacle

Most deepsea tugs don't have bow anchors. Neither are they double ended, but have semi-circular rounded sterns. Anchoring is usually accomplished by laying a mudloop of tow wire on the bottom, with barge and tug hanging on the ends. Tug is bow down wind and barge into wind. Since quarters are forward on a tug, this is much more comfortable ride.
    Double ended yachts have the option of anchoring by either end. When you're trying to sleep in a bow cabin, it'a a much better ride hung by the stern. For what it's worth.

15. Yobarnacle

boom gallows

dimensional drawing.

Bronze is classic, but why could these be welded up from aluminum or stainless. Or brazed from bronze halfround? Cast is traditional, and least labor intensive if you already had foundry

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.