Alternative Motorsailer Rig

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by Yobarnacle, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Looking forward to meeting you also. I'm gonna bust butt finishing Intrepidos when I get back from Africa. I last worked on her July, August, and September. Terribly hot! Not only did I need to steel my self discipline to stay on the job, but my wife was constantly imploring me to get out of the sun and cool off. It's love, but an annoyance, she can be damned insistant. The DIY yard where I have the boat doesn't normally allow campers, though they let me camp in my Mark III conversion van for the first few days till my wife flew in. Then we rented a cottage.Florida is economically depressed and rent cheap, if you don't expect the Taj Mahal. We'll locate a parking space. Maybe in driveway of a rented cottage. The brass (actually I hope it's bronze) swivel of yours I want for my furling gear/ jib boom gooseneck. I figure with inch and a half hole, my jib boom end can shove in thru there, stopped by being fatter diameter (2 inch?)rest of lenth. Maybe I'll need a keeper, but I'd prefer to to be able to yank it out to roll up staysail. I think I can arange a horse on the radar arch so staysail self tending.
    Many lonely night watches were devoted to thinking of how I'd do this, and not knowing what boat I would buy or when, just approx size.
    GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD HE MADE 3/4ths OF IT WATER.

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I have a strange inkling the swivel was the top swivel on old style jib furling off those big wooden Rosbourough built Barkentines (Barks) built here years ago. If such it might work out for what you need. Do up a rough drawing showing approx. sizes and a brief description and i'll hunt thru my junk (lot of it) I might have something more suitable--also for anything else weird and wonderful you might be looking for on the build.
    If there is a campground close by that would be also ideal-Rig is very mobile- I use it like a car in all the towns and cities we visit--It's been out on Daytona Beach many times. After next year we'll have another motorcycle or i'll tow my rebuilt CJ7 jeep as a run around vehicle on our trips.

3. Yobarnacle

Rough Idea

When I saw diameter of hole, a whisker pole lept into my mind as a jib boom. The rest I'm still working out how it should work.

Attached Files:

4. Yobarnacle

You mentioned towing your jeep with you. Your call of course. But you should stop in at Marine Liquidaters near by, and you may want to tow a trailer full of stuff back home. They have a proverbial HILL of salvaged boat/bunk cushions dirt cheap, I suppose from hurricane damaged boats.
    I only select cushions that have the inner foam sealed in clear plastic. The uphostery is good, the foam isn't saturated with someone elses sweat or worse. Great buy. Only problem is there is so much of it, you couldn't check all of it out in 2 days. That's just the cushions. They got miles of stainless railing, pulpits, pushpits, and about every powerboat fitting you can imagine. They have some sail gear not much. Lotsa stuff is universal for any boat. vents, blowers, hatches, and they have lotsa teak. $5 per pound.

5. Yobarnacle

Jib boom Gooseneck

On reflection, I'll use it this way. Insert swivel in length of bronze tube socketed in face of fore cabin. Aft of forestay, not in line with forstay.

Bronze jaws from bronze strap bolted to varnished wooden boom.

As jib boom is sheeted into centerline, foot of jib tightens flattening jib for power up wind.

As sheet is eased, boom swings out, allows fuller sail and power reaching or downwind..

All these benefits because pivot of boom is aft of tack, not at same point.

Swivel will make an elegant, sleek, stout jib boom gooseneck.

Furling completely separate mechanism.

Attached Files:

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Yup, i think this swivel is the cats meow for that purpose. No not towing the Jeep this trip, it's another project after the boat is built. Marine salvage always has my attention. There is also a big one down Fort Pierce way but a little on the expensive side. I always get good prices at the one in Daytona also. If you have a two man part of the build on the go when i arrive I would gladly give you a hand for a couple of days. I be getting a little antsy (RV cabin feaver)by then for some hands on. --Ok keep the brain thinking of anything else that I might have I can stash aboard before i leave. ---Geo.

7. Yobarnacle

got any of these? If you were looking for a new hobby business and since you like welding stainless, if you could make something similar to these that didn't cost arm and a leg, I believe theres a market. Pretty aren't they?

Attached Files:

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think that adding a sturdy tabernacle would be a good thing.

9. Yobarnacle

THANKS GONZO. CARE TO ELABORATE? I WAS COSIDERING THE ARCH, SPAR, SHROUDS AS A COMPOSITE UNIT. IF 2 OF THE 4 ARCH LEGS WERE UNPINNED/UNBOLTED, AND THE REMAINING TWO LEGS HAD ATHWARTSHIP PINS/BOLTS THEN THE ENTIRE STRUCTURE COULD HINGE ON THOSE TWO LEGS..AND ALL LAY DOWN INTACT. SIMILAR TO A TABERNACLE. MORE COMMENTS PLEASE. woops just noticed caps lock was on...sorry

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Thanks for screaming at me ;) I think that either the whole arch can tilt, like on a ski boat, or a tabernacle can be on top. The tabernacle can be a U section welded to the top. The pivot would be a couple of feet up which will give more support when tilting, reducing stresses.

11. Yobarnacle

Thanks. I liked the whole arch tilting, but I'd have to capsize the roof extension over cockpit. Pretty soon, cockpit is so full of gear, cant move. Maybe having both options, laying down just mast, or entire structure. I'm gonna ponder on that.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Set the mast aft of midship and tilt it forward.

13. Yobarnacle

It's almost precisely amidship. Certainly it could tilt forward, should have seen that. It's obvious. My mind was ignoring that, since all the rigging and spar would obscure forward vision, and I was imagining passing under a low bridge.
    On reflection, aproaching a bridge I needed to curtsie to, it's not an operation easily done on the fly by wife and me. I'd need to clear channel and maybe drop hook, till rig was down.
    If view forward was blocked too much, I could back thru bridge since the electric drive is azimuthing, she steers excellently going astern.
    thanks
    Next problem?

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The boom can be used to get a better advantage while lowering the mast.

15. Yobarnacle

true true

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.