welding steel plate on a keel

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by lockd, Nov 9, 2005.

1. lockd

lockd New Member

I am renovating 30 feet excaliber sail boat andwould like to weld a steel plate on the bottom of the keel . Here is the problem, the keel is full of lead!!!! and lead melts at 350F . Can this be done???? Anybody have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks
    Dick

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

You might try screwing into the lead >

Lead can be tapped and will hold bolts in sheer , but the more you drill the poorer the balast becomes, What is the purpose of the Steel plate?

A wing? That could EZly be GRP,

FAST FRED

3. lockd

lockd New Member

water inside the keel

Fred, the reason is that underneath the keel there is rust . the boat sits on the steel plate now and last week I was going to weld it on the keel .I am not a welder . so when I started to weld ,a bit of water came out . I proceeded to dril a few holes as close as possible to the bottom a little bit of water came out not much. Since I am not a welder I called a mobile welder outfit , they came and was told it was impossble to weld steel with lead behind. Now what??? Went searching on the internet absolutly no info to be found.DOES this mean that any steel sailboat with lead as a ballast when it scrapes or hit a rock or what ever becomes scrap. I cannot believe this. But in the mean time ,I have to solve this problem.
    ANYBODY, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    dICK

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

The thought of water among the lead is scarey. Molten lead and water are an explosive mixture. But I don't believe it's going to be impossible to weld a new steel plate to your keel - the reason being that only small spots of lead (behind the actual weld) will melt whilst you work - and then only briefly, before rehardening.
    BUT have the boat on dry land for a couple of weeks to ensure ALL water has dried out.
    Get your replacement steel in place, and ensure they/it is really tightly clamped in place. Weld quickly, and in small sections at a time. And make sure that you take ALL safety precautions: Full face mask, welding gloves - forearms covered, neck and chest covered by scarf and overalls, and work in well ventilated area.
    Thoroughly clean all fresh areas to be welded at each session.
    But stand by for further advice from other forum members. :rolleyes:

5. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Without seeing the job it is hard to give pertinent advice but probably best to weld the new material on as a doubler. How much are you re-plating? a few photos and a better description would elicit better advice. You can also rebate the lead behind the weld zones using wood working tools 5mm clearance will be fine to weld, the voides can be filled with epoxy resin afterwards by the lower- upper hole method ie you inject into the lower hole untill in comes out of the upper hole, and yes the samll holes will not be a problem if filled with epoxy.

Better get some anodes too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.