welding aluminum/minimal gear

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by alloy sailor, Jan 14, 2010.

1. alloy sailor

alloy sailor New Member

I am a good fitter and fabricator with many different materials. I have done some welding. I want to build solid lifelines for my aluminum sailboat and do some other projects. I need something to tack the parts together and I will hire a pro to finish weld everything. Can this be done with a 110 power supply; maybe a 140 mig with a spool gun I found some good deals on craigslist.

2. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

I'd suggest making stanchions/horizontals from stainless with ss base plates insulated from, but through-bolted to aluminum doubler plates, using stainless fasteners.

All of this aside, for tacking purposes, the 140 mig will do it, no problem.

Mike

3. alloy sailor

alloy sailor New Member

I like stainless but the boat came with a pile of aluminum pipe for this reason; I could sell it and buy stainless but why would it be better. I see aluminum rails on commercial and recreational fishing boats and looks good and seems strong enough.

4. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

That you, Jay?
    I've replaced aluminum lifelines & handrails on a few vessels, usually bent badly, but once with tears at the bases, just above the support bracket welds. Always replaced with ss. When I bought one of my boats, the Al dodger frame was a real mess & I've seen others that haven't held up very well. So, mark it all down to personal preference, if you will. Btw, very nice modern-style ph! Brilliant move!
    Mike

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.