Various Questions

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by KI4NCW, Dec 17, 2006.

1. KI4NCW

KI4NCW Junior Member

I am about to begin building a Clark Craft 22' Houseboat (Haven Plan). I want to build it and go from Fl to Freeport Bahamas. Do i need any type of Captains license to do this? Next... After i build the bottom of the boat how do you guys flip them over?

Thanks
    Bill

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

as long as it is just you , and not for hire you dont need a license,,,,usually you build the bottom of the boat upside down first,also I would research the aspect of going offshore in a houseboat,,personally dont know of any ocean going houseboats,,but then again I dont know all about everything.... longliner

3. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I don't think it's the best idea. That's not to say that it can't be done. My understanding is that the gulfsteam can be quite rough under certain conditions. A north wind will really stack the waves up because it's blowing against the current.

I personnally haven't done it. I've only read about it.

4. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

If your intentions are to live at Freeport, you would be better off getting the boat shipped over. The Gulfstream is no place for that type of boat.

If you desire to go for the voyages sake, find a design that is suitable for offshore work. There are many good steel boats in the 24-28 ft. range that would work well.

No license is required if any passengers aboard do not pay in any way. That does not mean alot of knowledge and experience are not reqiuered. They most definetly are!

Take care.

TGoz

5. KI4NCW

KI4NCW Junior Member

Well I appreciate the help. I have plenty of experience at-sea i just have not built a boat before. No one has still answered about how to turn the boat over? As far as the crossing goes, people cross all the time in pocket yachts 14' - 18'. However; i do tend to agree with all of you that i can probably find plans for a much more seaworthy vessel.

6. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

K,

The safest way to turn a larger boat upright is buy hiring a crane & operator. If you can find someone experienced in working with boat hulls, so much the better.

Some people have used appropriate leverage points and block & tackle arrangements to turn hulls. Restraining the boat from getting away from you once the tipping point is reached is critical.

Building upright is usually an option. One advantage is that the boat & any shelter covering it need not be moved.

Small boats can do remarkable things, though not always prudent. When I was a child I lived close to Robert Manry. My mother was behind Mrs. Manry in the license plate line while Mr. Manry was crossing the Atlantic in a 13.5 ft. Old Town sailboat. He had added a cubby cabin. The cabin was so small he slept curled up in the fetal position. He wrote a book, "Tinkerbelle" the boats name, about his voyage.

The main concern with the 22 footer you spoke of is design, not length. Every houseboat I ever saw had large expanses of windows. Ultimate stability would also worry me.

Welcome to the Forum.

Take care.

TGoz

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Bill,
    The Clark Craft houseboats ( http://www.clarkcraft.com/cgi-local...1452&cart_id=3a95c250f5f96ebc5d470146a1c177a6 ) are designed for inland lakes and calm weather. I think 3-foot seas would be about the limit that they'd be comfortable in, anything bigger will come over the bow and into the cabin. The windows are way too large for an offshore boat, they'll break if you get hit broadside by a wave. Stability will probably be gone around sixty or seventy degrees, again not a good thing offshore where you typically want the boat to right itself from 100 degrees or more. It's not a boat I would want to see offshore, or even on coastal passages- these are calm-water boats.
    Building upright might be a good option in the size range you're considering.
    There are plenty of offshore-capable, seaworthy vessels in that size range, which can be home-built.
    Turning over if built inverted, would be easiest with a crane- another option is to buy a round of pizza for your high school football team in exchange for flipping it- or (probably hardest) use A-frames and a lot of steadying ropes.

8. longliner45

sailboats are quite roomy,,,,they ride good ,,,,,and are really seaworthy,if you get the right design,,could this be an option for you? longliner

9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Here's one way. I would think Clark Craft would have some sort of idea on how to turn their boat over.?. Sam

Attached Files:

10. KI4NCW

KI4NCW Junior Member

Again thanks for the feedback. Well as far as the sailboat idea goes I'm not an experienced sailor so that is out. My experience lies in powerboats (My fathers) and years aboard Navy ships hahahha. So any links to a plan for a seaworthy power boat (Steel Fab, I am a stick welder) with an outboard engine installation would be appreciated. Something 24' or less would be feasible to do now. So lead on.....

11. longliner45

dont tell anyone ,,but I am not a sailor either . I was a commercial fisherman,,,,,,,,,,who is building a sailboat....read a few books and jump in ,,how did all these other people learn to sail?...longliner

12. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Bruce Roberts "Waverunners" start at 22ft. and are of steel construction.

His basic plans show an inboard engine. This could probably be altered by him to I/O's. Don't know about outboards.

He is good about answering E-mail ?'s. Or at least he used to be.

Longliner is correct, IMHO, to suggest a sailboat. A good sail vessel is very seaworthy, more so than most powerboats of a similar size range. With their aux. diesels they can still motor efficiently when desired or required to. Thier sails can have a stabilizing effect while motoring.

A traditional, full-keeled. deep draft sailing vessel with a moderate to wide beam, generally has alot of room below-decks for it's size.

TGoz

13. KI4NCW

KI4NCW Junior Member

Ok well here is my decision to rectify my insanity. I am going to build this boat:

http://www.hartley-boats.com/voyager.html

Soon as i receive the plans i'll keep you posted on progress. Thanks for all the feedback.

14. longliner45

Im not finding the clark craft ,,but if it is like the other 22 ftrs ,it seems to be a cabin cruiser,whole different story than a house boat,,,,,,,longliner

15. KI4NCW

KI4NCW Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.