Steel Yacht Plans sought

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by aitchem, Sep 29, 2005.

1. aitchem

aitchem Junior Member

Hi all,

I am looking for plans for a world-cruise capable yacht.
    My searches so far have raised the Van De Stadt Design 480 (HJB 45)
    http://www.stadtdesign.com/products/vds480_D.htm
    and the Radford 450
    http://www.radford-yacht.com/dsn013.html

My initial spec is:-
    around 45 feet.
    Steel Hull.
    Centre Cockpit.
    Cutter Rig.
    Long-ish deep keel.
    Full or half skeg Rudder.
    RCD Compliance. (Europe)

The hull would be professionally fabricated and interior DIY.
    Any suggestions for a good quality fabricator in Europe would be welcomed.

She should also be pleasing to the eye, many of these DIY build yachts look like an adapted oil tank.

Any pointers to other yacht designers web sites would be very welcome.
    Any further specification suggestions from seasoned Cruisers also welcomed.

thanks in advance
    Howard

2. Alik

Alik Senior Member

3. aitchem

aitchem Junior Member

Looks nice. A few questions.
    Have any of these been built.?
    If so any photo's.?
    NC files for the structure/frames.?

Howard

4. JimCooper

JimCooper Junior Member

I have been

Howard

Hello

I have had several yachts of various designs. Currently I mostly live aboard a 56 foot ketch of around 35 tons which I am sailing extensively. (just back ). I had trouble finding a suitable used boat and nearly built one to suit. So I travelled your path too.

I find the lighter boats harder at my age and I like a vessel I can heave-to and cook , rest and repair. I am now retired , getting a bit white, I have to admit my race is mostly run, I find heavier boats are far less tiring at sea. I have delivered racing boats , cruising boats of many different designs in my off seasons. I know the Radford, its pretty light I think for its 45 feet and ye may find it a bit quick and stiff.

I think the lasses make the choice actualy. You need to think of what she wants out of the boat, usually they are not the sailors and they get pretty miserable in a performance yacht. If they can sew and cook and shower and learn to love a gentle heave of the sea they will stay aboard. If the boat ride is like a fairground thrill and the heave is more like an ecpress lift takeoff then they'll not stay long past the first leg.

Again if you want to cruise the coasts and never cross a sea then the lighter smaller boat will be more suitable. If you paln to cruise for years then you want a large volume heavier sort of hull.

I like steel too, have had other materials but steel gives a lot of free insurance.
    I managed to get my stern lifted by a swell onto the stone steps leading down from the dockside where she stuck fast and with the prop above water and the bow below we wer in a stupid muckle fix. There we stayed clanging about with the occasional swell lifting and dropping her onto the step. With the aid of smack we got her off and went straight to the grid where I found a wee scratch or two and some missing paint. Had she been my old timber boat it would hae been expensive indeed.

If you have a 45 footer wi one mast why not have a 55 footer with 2 masts the ketch is easier to sail, I never reef, just drop and raise. The larger boat is much more capable of being inependant too. Depends whether she goes tethered to the seabed or in a marina pen.

Have you considered a chined hull ? I have had a chine, my current is a round but she is sore to replate, and I wouldna hae minded a chine or two.

There are others t look at (with sites on this world wide web) such as J Beneford, Ted Brewer, Michael Kasten George Bhueler. Which may give you a good incling of your tastes. If you are not experianced I would beware the glossy papers for they're full in the main of market hype and nonsense.

There's a few good men in these forums too if you can attract their attention but I'd stick to the Naval architects and Engineers for theres a lot of strong opinions .

One named "Saildesign " has been a help with steel boat advice. Also a Man named "MikeJohns" and one called "Dartois" they can oft be summoned by sending them some message.

Cheers
    Jim

5. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Howard,
    You should really contact Tanton Yachts on this forum
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/member.php?u=9830
    He has a great deal of metal-boat design expoerience, and draws a good-looking boat.
    I admit to bias here, as I worked for him for many years :)
    Steve

6. aitchem

aitchem Junior Member

Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the response.

I pretty much agree with all you said. I dont like the yachts which bob up and downlike a cork in the sea. Most of my sailing was in a friend's Moody 46 which was like sailing with suspension.

The "custom build" route is being investigated because we will mainly sail 2 up, with the occasional 2 friends/guests flying in at the nice locations.
    Hence we will have generous 2 berth cabins 40 feet apart for privacy, and plenty of room for a "hobby" (sewing/reading/cooking/entertaining) area for her.
    Production interiors are built to cram as many bodies as possible in these days.

I don't want to go to 50 feet long because they don't fit in many marinas in the Med.

By the way, are you in Aberdeen UK.?
    I live in Aberdeen, but am working in Norwich at the moment, flying back every other weekend.
    I guess you keep your boat in Peterhead as they arn't allowed in Aberdeen.?

very best
    Howard

7. JimCooper

JimCooper Junior Member

aitchem

Aye the real Aberdeen when I am home.
    Usually on the west coast though. Loch Craignish is my current spot I have many friends around the coast with a moor I can use in return for a wee sensation. But I have no fixed place . Aberdeen harbors my Sister so I still call it home but I am not there so much. The advatage of living aboard is the variety. I spend a bit o summertime in Jura is a nice wee spot to live too, in the west Loch.

Where would you build your boat?

As for marinas in the Med you'll find that once you get past the busy Western Med that the out of way places will take your bigger boat with pride for little cost and none of the muckle crowd.

I plan to be off soon to the south , never been to the outer spots in the Canary isles only the major port at Las Palmas so I recknon on winter there. Maybe on to the Caribean if the fancy takes, but I hae been there before and its a bit overrated wi too many from the rich USA visiting and too many charterers dragging about.

Cheers
    Jim

8. JimCooper

JimCooper Junior Member

9. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Aitchem

Ganley yacht designs also worth a look.

I don't know what experience you have but I would caution that you might find a used boat a more sensible proposition for your first. Too many people build with idealistic ideas without cruising experience .

10. aitchem

aitchem Junior Member

Jim,

Thanks for the info, and the pointer to the steel hull in Ardfern.
    I may take a run over after Christmas, if it's still there.

I would rather have my own layout, as to the Fabricator, I have none in mind. The Dutch seem to have the best Yards, I haven't seen any in Scotland.

Wish you well on the trip to the Canaries, I wouldn't mind hitching a ride and crewing for you if I was allowed time off.

Let me know your boat name, we might fly to the Canaries after Christmas, we'll keep an eye open for you.

best regards
    Howard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.