Steel prices, Puget-Sound USA?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by mcm, Sep 23, 2006.

1. mcm

mcm Senior Member

My first question is, what does 5/16, 1/4, & 3/16 pre-primed boatbuilding steel plate cost by the sheet (4x20)?

Second question; what's the approximate amount of steel most people use to build a full-keeled, 32ft. cruising sailboat?

I'm sure these questions have been asked a thousand times, but hitting 'search' didn't help, so I thought I better get a reality-check before I go any farther.

Thanks.

2. mcm

mcm Senior Member

I got my answer, and without having to talk to a salesman.

65 cents a pound , and 1/4 inch boatbuilding steel is 10 pounds per square foot, making it $6.50 a square foot in quarter inch steel.

Now all I have to do is add up the math, and then I'll know if there's any reality to my dream.

3. Hotel Lima

Hotel Lima Junior Member

That seems higher than I recall, does anyone know where to find it any cheaper?

4. mcm

mcm Senior Member

The source who quoted me the 65 cent a pound steel price told me that, when he started his steel boatbuilding project six years ago, steel prices were only 35 cents a pound.

So according to him, steel prices have almost doubled in the last six years!

5. JDsailer

JDsailer New Member

Price of A588 grade Steel versus A36 steel

Can somebody provide me with cost difference between A36 steel plate and A588 steel plate which is more resistant to atmospheric corrosion ?

6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Well, mcm, steel markets fluctuate... and as they do, companies merge, split and go under all over the place. As such it's really hard to predict where steel prices are going at any given time. They are a bit on the high side right now though, not sure if that'll hold, or which way it'll tend to swing next.

7. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

mcm,
    I hope you are not planning to build a 32 foot boat out of 1/4 inch steel. I believe 5/32 would be more like it.

8. alaskatrawler

alaskatrawler Previous Member

Seattle Steel Prices

The price of steel has risen coinsiderably in the last four years When I bought the steel for Balto four years ago it was 30 cents a pound. Today the prices are reported to be 60 to 65 cents per pound. I bought my steel from SeaPort Steel in Seattle. Roger Parr is the man to contact with SeaPort he will work the prices to see that you get the best deal. SeaPort can also precut your steel plate off your cad files which is nice.

Dan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.