Srength in the seats

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by philzero44, Mar 25, 2008.

1. philzero44

philzero44 Junior Member

Strength in the seats

I have a 14' aluminim quintrex boat with three bench seats an i've taken the middle and back seats out to put a floor down,but now i've a lot more room i would like to leave them out.So how strong would the sides be without seats,plus i know i will loose flotation but i'm more worried about strength.PHIL.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

philzero44,

Why not phone Quintrex and see what they suggest, their "bass" style boats have just landings in them and they are great, they may have some very good ideas for your job.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Philzero, I'm sure they'll provide you the standard, "can't be responsible reply" and that it's "not recommended". The legal department forces them to do this.

It's very probable you've removed a substantial portion of the athwartship stiffness, when the seat was taken out. You could stiffen the area up by enlarging the structural elements that create the sheer and chine.

[​IMG]

The sheer is pretty flimsy, she's just a stamped metal boat, so you'll probably want some "knees" in the area of the old seat boxes. You can use the outboard corners of the old boxes to make these knees, or make new ones yourself.

Just cut off the boxes, but leave an angled corner of the seat boxes in place along the lower outboard sides. This will give you four angled, triangled braces, between the sides and bottom of the boat. Box them in, by riveting, gluing or welding (if you're really a good welder) a plate over the two remaining corners (each side of the boat). This will support the sides well enough, but the bottom will be flexible.

Leaving a small portion of the center section of the box will dramatically help the weakened bottom, especially if it was boxed in like I described on the chopped down corners.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.