Spirit Of Balto Launched

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by alaskatrawler, Dec 6, 2006.

1. alaskatrawler

alaskatrawler Previous Member

Hello All

It has been a long time since I last posted to this forum. The last six months were a flurry of activity involving the launch and the finishing out of my steel trawler that I have been building for the last 4 1/2 years. It has been a long but very rewarding project. I have to say that as much as I look forward to cruising I will miss the work involvement I had in building this beautiful vessel.
    What remains to be done is build the mast and jib for the tender. I am now docked in Tacoma Washington where I am living aboard. This spring I will head North to my home state of Alaska. I am including a couple photos of Balto during launch and underway.

Regards
    DanWalsh

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. Rusty Bucket

Rusty Bucket Junior Member

Really nice looking boat! It must have been a rush to finally get her in the water and underway. I spent a good portion of my life building boats like yours for other people and I can really appreciate your tenacity. I know of one steel sailboat hull I built for a guy 30 years ago that still isn't finished, so 4.5 years ain't bad! Well done, Rusty

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  3. alaskatrawler

Thanks for the compliment. It truly is a rush to finally be closing in on the finish line.
    As of this writing I've been building the mast. Been doing mockups of various styles. I really like the salty look of a mast with a crows nest so have decided to build it with a crows nest. I copped out on the idea of building my own davit and instead am going to buy a custom hydraulic unit. I will post some pictures as I get further along.

Thanks Again
    Dan

4. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Dan,

Nice work. Where you living in AK? I spent a summer skiff camping on the north end of Prince of Wales Island. Hopefully I will spend my later years in SE AK.

Take care.

TGoz

5. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Dan,

She's a beauty, and the workmanship looks top notch. Seeing her floating as designed, then underway at last, got to be a wonderful feeling.

Good voyaging,

Charlie

6. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

Im happy for ya man ,,nice boat,,,I know your signifigant other has paid her dues too after all ,,you may be capton,,,,,,but she picked the colors good luck to you,,longliner

7. trawler builder

trawler builder Junior Member

beautiful boat ...great job

8. alaskatrawler

Thanks Again for all the compliments I appreciate them sincerely.
    As for T goz question as to where I live in Alaska? I lived most all my life in Nome. Spirit of Balto which is the name of my boat was named in honor of the famous Nome sled dog ( Balto) that was credited with getting the diptheria serum to Nome from Nenana Alaska a distance of over 1000 miles in the early 1900's. The now famous Alaska Iditarod sled dog race commemorates this historic event.

My SO has been a very patient woman. I have promised her every year since I started this project that I would we would be launching in a year. Each year would pass and another promise. All though she never let on I am sure see saw through the promises after awhile.

I still have not been out cruising yet as I have spent the last year ( launched in April 06) varnishing the interior and doing the million other little deatils it takes to get all the systems functioning. I hope to make Trawlerfest in June so am working toward that goal. If any one on this list is at trawler fest which will be held in Paulsbo Washington please stop by. I'll keep a cold one in the fridge for you.

Thanks Again for all the compliments

Dan

9. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

balto ,,a great dog ,,and a great name for a boat,I envy you,longliner

10. samson101

samson101 New Member

hello alaskatrawler. i am currently looking into several designs for steel boats all of them from Bruce Roberts and i was just wondering if i could talk to you about steel boats and steel boat building in general.

you have a really gorgeous boat!

can i have your email so i can shoot you some emails?

thank you
    John

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.